Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Read ID card

>

eeza

Read ID card
Old 06-01-2019, 06:36 PM

I'm in CA and I have an appointment to get my real ID card later on this month. Will the DMV keep any of my documents or do I just show them the docs and they give them back to me? There's a part of me that realizes this is a dumb question, but I wouldn't put it past them to keep the docs because it's, ya know, the DMV.

p.s. One of the docs that can prove CA residency is my car resgistration. Shouldn't they already have that on file?

eeza is offline   Reply With Quote

happygal

Yes
Old 06-01-2019, 06:46 PM

Birth certificate

Utility bill

Social security card

Passport if you have one

Drivers license

Car registration

Seems Im forgetting something
happygal is offline   Reply With Quote

mooseman

Real ID
Old 06-01-2019, 06:58 PM

I recommend checking your DMV site to be sure you have it all. If you are married you will need your marriage certificate if you changed your last name. That one got me when I did it.
mooseman is offline   Reply With Quote

eeza

Read ID
Old 06-01-2019, 07:07 PM

Thanks! I just want to make sure I get it all right the first time so I don't have to go back.

sonoma

Old 06-01-2019, 07:31 PM

They will make photocopies. If your birth certificate name is not the same as your current name (like you got married and use your spouseís name) you will also need to show your marriage certificate.

sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote

LuvMyRatties

Dmv
Old 06-01-2019, 07:41 PM

Oh, lordy! DH and I just spent several hours trying to make an appointment. My DL will expire in August, so I figured I'd just get the Real ID. Everything close to me has no appointments at all. I was even looking as far as Santa Barbara and Oceanside (2-3 hours from me).

I think there was also a system issue with their site as I kept getting error pages. I hate dealing with any CA bureaucracy.
LuvMyRatties is offline   Reply With Quote

sonoma

Old 06-01-2019, 08:50 PM

I had my first appointment in mid March. My license expired mid April so I thought I was fine. DMV decided I had to take a special behind the wheel test because I couldnít pass the eye chart with one eye, even though I had mono vision lasik 16 years ago and a completed dmv vision form from my doctor.

They didnít have an opening for the behind the wheel test until July. I had to get a temporary license and go back next week to extend my temporary license.

All this because I didnít want to have to carry my passport when flying domestically. If I had to do it over. . .

luvmycat

No proof of name change
Old 06-01-2019, 11:02 PM

My passport was sufficient for my name change so I didnít need marriage license.

There is still some question though as to whether mine is valid because they were supposed to ask for 2 documents verifying my address.
luvmycat is offline   Reply With Quote

arsabl

Old 06-02-2019, 05:09 AM

I recommend taking as many official pieces of identification as possible. You never know if DMV will reject something. Having a valid passport was really helpful.

I got my Real ID last May in CA. Iím waiting for a letter from DMV to verify my address since they screwed up and didnít ask for two forms of address identification. So far no letter. Is my driver's license valid as a Real ID? Who knows?
arsabl is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 06-02-2019, 05:32 AM

Iím in California, too, and itís a snap as long as you have an appointment and take the documents they want (you keep them). Look at their list and make sure you have all 4 items (for me it was 4) that they require. I took extra stuff just in case, but didnít need it.

As others have said, if your present name is not the same as the name on your birth certificate, you need to have legal documents (eg a marriage certificate) showing how your name changed. I didnít have this the first time and had to go back.

amiga13 is offline   Reply With Quote

MAsped

Old 06-02-2019, 06:02 AM

I was just thinking about this topic during the past week because I'll be taking an international trip next summer and knew I'll have to get this in time for that even though my current DL doesn't expire till 2023.
MAsped is online now   Reply With Quote

twinmom95

Masped
Old 06-02-2019, 08:21 AM

A Real ID won't help you for an international trip. You need a passport for that to either fly or drive to another country. Cruising had some different rules, but I would still bring a passport in case something happens and you are left behind in another country. It happens!
twinmom95 is online now   Reply With Quote

MAsped

Old 06-02-2019, 08:32 AM

twinmom95, yes, I know I'll still need a passport, but I read long ago that I think by Oct or something, we all have to get the REAL ID anyway and they'll need it for flights/travel. But, thanks for the comments.

Here's some quick info I just found now:

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/realid

When you click on something from the above link, it says:

"Beginning October 1, 2020, the Department of Homeland Security requires your driver license (DL) or identification (ID) card be REAL ID compliant if you wish to use it as identification to board a domestic flight or enter military bases and most federal facilities."

(OK, that's in Oct 2020 so I'll be back from my trip by then.)

SoCalTeach

SoCal DMVs
Old 06-02-2019, 08:39 AM

I take it you are in Los Angeles. Have you tried the Newhall or Granada Hills branches?
SoCalTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 06-02-2019, 08:52 AM

Quote:
twinmom95, yes, I know I'll still need a passport, but I read long ago that I think by Oct or something, we all have to get the REAL ID anyway and they'll need it for flights/travel. But, thanks for the comments
Just FYI, a passport trumps a DL.
Zia is offline   Reply With Quote

eeza

Read ID
Old 06-02-2019, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Everything close to me has no appointments at all. I was even looking as far as Santa Barbara and Oceanside (2-3 hours from me).
When I first went on the DMV site to make an appointment, I coudln't find anything anywhere near me, so I just figured I'd suck it up and go in one afternoon without an appointment. By chance, I tried again and there were some appointments at one of the local DMVs. I don't know why they didn't show up earlier. Perhaps try back every so often so see if any become available.

MAsped

Old 06-02-2019, 09:26 AM

Thanks Zia.

MAsped

Old 06-02-2019, 09:27 AM

OP, I didn't read every post here, so sorry if I missed something, but why are you getting yours so early? October 1, 2020, is the START of people having to get them.

OK, just thought about that your current DL is probably expiring now so I'm sure the DMV is making people go ahead and change as their current one expires.

eeza

Read ID
Old 06-02-2019, 09:47 AM

Quote:
OK, just thought about that your current DL is probably expiring now so I'm sure the DMV is making people go ahead and change as their current one expires.
Correct! It expires in about a month, so I just thought I'd get it done. I'm dragging my husband along with me so that way we can both get it out of the way.

LuvMyRatties

Eeza
Old 06-02-2019, 10:28 AM

I did get one, it was just a royal P.I.T.A.
LuvMyRatties is offline   Reply With Quote

knit1purl2

Iím not doing REAL ID
Old 06-02-2019, 10:53 AM

I donít want the bother of all that paperwork with CA DMV. Iím just going to carry my passport when I fly. Itís not like I just jump on an airplane. I donít travel often either.
knit1purl2 is offline   Reply With Quote

sonoma

Old 06-02-2019, 12:09 PM

Remember you will need it to enter any federal buildings also.

cvt

Dmv
Old 06-02-2019, 05:22 PM

I did the same as eeza. After I made an appointment at my local CA DMV three months before my birthday (when my DL expired), there were no appointments available until 2 weeks after my birthday. I took all my documents and more just in case, and decided to just walk in on a Saturday morning without an appointment. I was there at 7 am and there were already about 50 people standing in line. By the time the doors opened, the line was all the way around the corner. About half of the people didn't have appointments.

They divided the line into those with appointments for the REAL ID/DL and those without appointments for the REAL ID/DL, and another one for people who were getting a regular DL or ID. While people were still waiting in line before the DMV opened, some DMV staff went around checking to see if people in line had the right documents. If not, they were turned around. By the time I went into the building, I knew I had the right documents, so at least I didn't waste time waiting for 1 1/2 hr.
cvt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tawaki

Curious...
Old 06-03-2019, 04:39 AM

Will a passport get you into the Federal buildings that you need Real ID for?

It's easier on my area to get a passport than a Real ID hassle wise. What's the up side to Real ID other than not carrying a passport around?

Everyone I know are just getting passports and skipping the Real ID.

Last edited by Tawaki; 06-03-2019 at 04:41 AM.. Reason: Editing
Tawaki is offline   Reply With Quote

marguerite2

Old 06-03-2019, 07:47 AM

As another poster said, passport supersedes real id. A passport will get you into a federal building.

I have a passport. My state is letting you switch to a real id at no additional cost when your driver's license expires. There is a cost if you want to do it at another time. So, the cheap me is waiting.

But, while a passport works, carrying it can be a pain. So when my license turns into real id, I will be glad.
marguerite2 is offline   Reply With Quote