Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

I have anxiety spending money.

>

Katluv

I have anxiety spending money.
Old 06-03-2019, 05:58 PM

Tonight I booked two summer vacations for my family. One is going to cost $1,000 (all 3 of us) the other $1,500 (just my son and I to fly cross country to Virginia). This makes my stomach hurt!

DH and I make good money, have no mortgage and I only have a small car loan. We don’t spend frivolously and have a very nice amount in our savings and retirement. I am making $1500 teaching summer school for two weeks here real soon.

So why do I feel sick doing this? I always do. I deserve these vacays, right?

Last edited by Katluv; 06-03-2019 at 06:42 PM.. Reason: word out
Katluv is offline   Reply With Quote

eeza

anxiety spending money
Old 06-03-2019, 07:07 PM

Same here! Whenever I have a larger expense I get a bit anxious. I know I have the money and what I purchased is either needed or I'm just treating myself, but still...

And, yes, go on those vacations! You deserve them!
eeza is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

You do deserve a vacation trip
Old 06-03-2019, 07:08 PM

Take some deep breaths and try to think of all the positives for your entire family in regards to these trips.
1956BD is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Spedtcher

Old 06-03-2019, 09:28 PM

Me too. I threw up when I bought my new refrigerator. I had the money for it, it really didnít make a dent in my savings, I needed a new fridge.....still spending that much money made me puke.

Donít even start on plane tickets- it cost us close to $1000 each for plane tickets (4 of us) for our last trip. I couldnít make myself hit the purchase button- my DH had to do it for me.
Ima Spedtcher is offline   Reply With Quote

TeacherPK6

Old 06-04-2019, 02:57 AM

It sounds like you are being very wise with how you spend your money! You didn't go into debt for these trips, you didn't spend money that should have been spent on bills. It's ok to spend a chunk of money on something! I even love that it's on an experience and not just "stuff."

Hope that helps. I get it though!

TeacherPK6 is offline   Reply With Quote

slg

Old 06-04-2019, 04:47 AM

Oh, golly, I thought it was just me because my DH has preached thriftiness to me so often that it has become a way of life. He always looks for the best price, the best deal and has no shame about negotiating. But remember you have worked hard in order to enjoy the fruits of your labors so find a balance between saving your earnings and enjoying them. You can't take it with you!
slg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tori58

I completely understand.
Old 06-04-2019, 05:59 AM

I'm a saver, not a spender, and I'm always grateful for that when I see other people take serious financial hits with inadequate savings.

BUT, there is actual research that shows that, while money can't buy happiness, spending your money on experiences rather than on "stuff" that you don't necessarily need is, indeed, a better route to happiness.

Quote:
You can't take it with you!
This is very true and, much as we hate to think about it, sooner or later we will be separated from our loved ones. If you're like me, you probably are thrifty partly because you want to leave something for your son but what do you think will be most valued? An extra $2500 in his inheritance or some wonderful memories that he'll always have?

I say, enjoy your vacations and try to let go of your anxiety. You aren't spending money that you don't have to go on vacation (and lots of people do!) and you aren't going on ridiculously extravagant vacations either.
Tori58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Clarity

Money is a form of energy.
Old 06-04-2019, 07:56 AM

Energy flows. I look at money as in-flow and out-flow. The more I out-flow, the more will in-flow. When I am feeling a little anxious about money, I always go out and spend some, usually at a thrift store, where I know I can afford pretty much whatever I want to buy.

I used to be very stingy with myself. Never with others. Then someone asked me why I did not think I deserved to have what I was willing to give everyone else.

Be generous with yourself. You deserve whatever you believe you deserve.
Clarity is offline   Reply With Quote

mommy9298

Old 06-04-2019, 03:36 PM

Enjoy your vacations! I’m frugal, but better now. Fil saved l, rarely took vacation, and worked 12 hour days five days a week. At 63 he decided to retire. His last day was a Friday, he passed away Wednesday morning in his sleep. Thank goodness his company had all paperwork in and his pension went to mil. After that, our family enjoys life a little more. It’s good to work and save, but have a balance.
mommy9298 is offline   Reply With Quote