Help

The VENT

Sped paperwork

>

NewCAteacher

Sped paperwork
Old 06-03-2019, 09:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

*insert eye roll here.* I’ve been commended for writing thorough IEPs and reports which are objective, have attainable goals, and thoughtful accommodations. The one thing I struggle with? Turning in all of the paperwork within a “timely” manner, with every little minuscule box checked, every little t crossed and i dotted, and absolutely zero errors on anything. I know I need to work on this. It just SUCKS because I prioritize running groups, pushing in, creating lessons and materials to suit student needs, writing social stories for kids with big behaviors, training teachers on how to respond to challenging behaviors, and advocating professionally for what our students need. You know, actually serving kids with disabilities. Yes, my deadlines and paperwork suffer sometimes because of it. It feels like admin care more about the paperwork than my actual teaching duties. I know it comes from top down, from politicians who are woefully ignorant to what this job entails.

NewCAteacher is online now   Reply With Quote

yepyep

yepyep

Old 06-03-2019, 09:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

The state I live in does sped file reviews every three years and if there are significant errors or missed timelines the districts gets fined. And if a family sues the district, these things do look bad. I think that is why admins care.
I totally agree with you though that it should matter more that you actually do a good job doing all the things you do, instead of prioritizing that you write about it in a timely manner.

GreyhoundGirl

Old 06-03-2019, 10:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

In my district paperwork IS more important than kids and teachers ARE fired for not getting it done on time.

It is what it is.
GreyhoundGirl is online now   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 06-03-2019, 12:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Quote:
In my district paperwork IS more important than kids and teachers ARE fired for not getting it done on time.

It is what it is.
Same here. Before I started working here, my teammate went into labor with her daughter extremely early and of course there were all kinds of complications with her spending many months in the NICU. My teammate got an official reprimand in her file during this time for not completing an IEP on time .

The paperwork gets audited by the state yearly. In my state, they randomly pick a certain number of IEPs from each school every single year. I would never dream of letting any deadlines slide because I'd be in so much trouble.
Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote

readandweep

Sped paperwork
Old 06-03-2019, 03:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I agree with Hayley and GG and I will also chime in that in the districts I have worked in a lot of paper work goes toward reimbursement for services.

If the paper work for reimbursement does not go through correctly that means less money for the district, school and services affecting class sizes, case loads, related services and even the number of special ed teachers.

Is this just a vent or would you like suggestions to help with deadlines?

I think every special ed teacher dislikes something about the job. I REALLY dislike some, not all, of working with regular ed, especially if I was tasked with training them or trying to get them to drink certain types of kool-aid.

readandweep is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 06-03-2019, 03:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Quote:
I REALLY dislike some, not all, of working with regular ed, especially if I was tasked with training them or trying to get them to drink certain types of kool-aid.
This is definitely me too. The paperwork, while tedious, is the easiest part of the job for me. We did Emergenetics a few years ago and almost my entire thing was "green," which means structural. That totally made sense!

I'm happy to give suggestions as well if they are wanted (totally fine if they aren't)- didn't want to overstep if this was just a vent .

Last edited by Haley23; 06-03-2019 at 04:16 PM..
Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote

pdxteacher

Old 06-03-2019, 06:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I hear you. After a few years I knuckled down and put some hard timelines in place for myself and worked on building time dedicated to paperwork into my week. I also came up with a weekly planning sheet that really helped me get things turned in on time. And yep, sometimes my lessons are not as imaginative as they could be so paperwork gets done.

And, just so you know, you're not alone. Here's a screenshot of the message we all got when we logged into our paperwork system last week.
Attachment

Sign in to view attachment. Not a member? Sign Up FREE
pdxteacher is online now   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 06-03-2019, 06:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I actually found the paperwork the easiest part of Sped, but that could have been because I was used to regular Ed, where I had 25+ report cards, etc.

The hardest part was dealing with regular ed teachers who treated their paras better than me.
GreyhoundGirl is online now   Reply With Quote

Kinderkr4zy

Old 06-03-2019, 07:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Paper work (and crazy litigious parent nightmares that the district cows to and doesn't back up the teacher with) its what keeps me from adding a Sped endorsement to my credential.

I am bubbling with excitement thinking about my ESY class. I love the teaching. Many people tell me I am a natural with the "life skills" level classes and ask me why I dont get my mod/severe credential. My answer-PAPER WORK!

I know that I would be just like you, then I would be in trouble, then I would bitter about being in trouble. Gen ed has very little paper work and I struggle with that.
Kinderkr4zy is online now   Reply With Quote

NewCAteacher

Kinderkr4zy
Old 06-03-2019, 08:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

If the paperwork is the only thing holding you back from getting the sped credential, throw that caution to the wind and DO IT. Your IEPs in a life skills class will likely be lengthier because those guys usually have more services and goals, but their annuals don’t happen nearly as often because you only have 10-12 students!! I wasn’t as overwhelmed by paperwork when I taught self contained. I am in total admiration of those who are inclined to work with the life skills population. They are vulnerable and need people like you. I WISH I had the personality to work in mod/severe because the work is so gratifying. However, I do love teaching academics and wouldn’t want to give that up.

peanut21

Wow
Old 06-09-2019, 05:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

The paperwork is the legally binding part of my job. I wouldn’t dream of missing deadlines. I am held accountable for all parts of my job.
peanut21 is offline   Reply With Quote

NewCAteacher

Not missing deadlines
Old 06-10-2019, 10:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I should clarify. I always hold IEPs by the deadline, I just don’t get the paperwork to our district office as quickly as they would like.

“Wow?” Peanut21, I’m sure you are absolutely perfect at your job.