Help

The VENT

I hate my students right now

>

SpedLearn

I hate my students right now
Old 05-30-2019, 09:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Yup, all this week. I absolutely hate my kids. I teach ED/BD kids in a self contained setting and...yes I know they have problems.....but this week they have been absolute buttheads. Things that were once fun, I can't even do anymore because they can no longer handle it. They get upset, mad at each other, set each other off, throw fits, don't follow directions. call out constantly....one more week, just one more.

Today they missed half of their recess because they suddenly forgot the line up routine. Turning around talking, doing fortnite dances, being ASSHOLES. I felt like I was calling to the wind getting them to stop. I made them walk back down the hallway and practice THREE times until there was absolute silence. Was supposed to have a reward movie and popcorn....told them NOPE. Not until they can be appropriate during transitioning or lunch/recess or morning routine. Boy their groans were MUSIC to my ears, now they know how I feel

I know its the end of the year. I can't always attribute this behavior to their home life or disability. Hate to say it but some kids are just jerks and right now ALL of my kids are jerks

5 more days.......

SpedLearn is offline   Reply With Quote

desert flower

Old 05-30-2019, 09:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I can relate. I felt the same way many times this year and last. It is exhausting and wears a person down. I'm sorry. On the bright side, 5 more days!
desert flower is offline   Reply With Quote

whiteturtle

Old 05-31-2019, 03:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I am sorry. You have a REALLY tough job but kudos to you for making them practice the routine that they "forgot." All I can say is that the end of the year means the stability of school is going away for them. Their predictable routine is ending. That is particularly hard for them. I know you know this already. One more week and then freedom. Hang in there, you can do this!
whiteturtle is offline   Reply With Quote

oreocat

Old 05-31-2019, 06:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

This was my class all year. I do not teach EBD either! I made it to the end and you will too, but I can totally relate to not liking many of your students! I came to terms with it. My job is to give them an education. I care about them, but I do not always like being around some of my students!!
oreocat is offline   Reply With Quote

asnmdirteha

Old 06-01-2019, 08:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

For me it is when the kids cannot follow simple simple instructions that just drives. me. nuts.

Kids change just like the world is changing, the only that you can control is yourself. Hang in there.

asnmdirteha is offline   Reply With Quote

Lakeside

Old 06-02-2019, 12:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I agree with whiteturtle. It's all about the fear of losing the routine of the school year. But in a way, that's all the more reason to show them you (and the rules) are still there. You did great, and you'll make it!
Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote

ReeseTeacher

Old 06-04-2019, 08:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I can relate. I am a classroom teacher with three very defiant/EBD kids. Their behavior rubs off on the rest of the class.

Yesterday I gave a direction to clean up and come sit on the carpet. About half the kids didn't even acknowledge my direction (it wasn't because they couldn't hear either) and the other half glanced in my direction then immediately went back to what they were doing. One kid started to follow the directions, then kind of paused while looking around the room (I think he was second guessing what I had said because nobody was doing it).

They literally don't think they have to follow any rules anymore. I have 2.5 days left!
ReeseTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Lakeside

Old 06-04-2019, 01:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Quote:
They literally don't think they have to follow any rules anymore.
True. We spend so much time telling them they can do anything they want (meaning in a good way - that they can learn anything, or work to become anything) that they take it way too much to heart.
Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote
chickenlittle

chickenlittle

Old 06-04-2019, 01:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Quote:
Their behavior rubs off on the rest of the class.
Thank you for this phrase. I will use it daily from now on. I've been trying to communicate just that but, I wasn't able to do it the way you just did.

I am not very good with words and well I am grateful for people like you that can express things so eloquently, efficiently and yet so simple. Thanks