Help

The VENT

This room sucks

>

Kinderkr4zy

This room sucks
Old 06-07-2019, 07:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

SO I am teaching ESY - Like I always do- but this year I got kinders, nonverbal with a aggressive and self injurious behavior. Well I figured it would be tiring but I did a similar class 5 years ago, so I'll be fine.

Well... I walk in to set up my room and when I see the room number I realize that I dont have a kinder room so no bathroom and no where near the kinder playground. Ugh seriously that's going to make it even harder.

Then as walk up to the room I see that workmen with a big truck seem to be working in there-But ESY starts Monday and I need to set up. I need to do a million things, including go over all the IEP's and BIP's and the curriculum and set up and decorate my room and I only have 4 hours (all unpaid to boot). Well as I walk in I see that my classroom for this summer isnt even a classroom. I have been put in the computer lab and the workmen are trying to dismantle the lab and haul it away-but all the tables are screwed into the floor .

"Um I need to set up in here how long is this going to take..." 2 hours

I come back in 2 hours and what do my eyes see, not a comp lab, but also no semblance of a classroom. apparently someone is moving into this room in the fall so they brought over her 40-50 boxes of crap, a room full of desks and miscellany-including a ladder. No I am not allow to have the kids touch any of this crap. The cabinets are all locked so I cant even try to put some of these boxes out of sight. So I beginning push pulling and stacking boxes that I pray dont get pulled over on to my 5 year olds with no impulse control who are know to try to climb on things. I stacked up most of them onto the counter but it took up the entire counter so now I have zero counter space in addition to not having any cabinets of drawers and they are stacked so high they are blocking my one window.

I try pushing around the file cabinets and the 25 desks to make some semblance of a classroom but this room suck, and it looks awful. I ended up staying until after 6 just to try and make it semi functional for Monday morning and I haven't even done a thing to prep for Monday. I have no lesson plans, no copies, nothing it prepped and I had to take all the IEP's and BIPs home to read. I F-ing hate this summer and it hasn't even started yet. I actually think I am going to cry I am so tired and frustrated.

Kinderkr4zy is offline   Reply With Quote

DSLBUG

Old 06-07-2019, 07:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Oh my goodness! What a nightmare! The admin actually expects someone to teach in a room like that?!
DSLBUG is offline   Reply With Quote

broomrider

Invite admin into your room
Old 06-07-2019, 09:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

every day until you have a better room. Also make sure the parents see where their kids will be during the summer. Parents can be excellent and noisy allies.

There is making the best of a bad situation and there is putting high risk kids at risk. You and admin will be liable for any injuries to the children in that room. Tell them so in an email that enumerates the potential hazards to your particular students. Keep a copy. If no response, you might contact risk management in the district or even OSHA.

Yeah, I know. It's hard to do, even a bit risky. But the conditions you outline do not seem physically safe or conducive to education. You need to cover yourself and may well get an appropriate setting.
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote

TeacherPK6

Old 06-08-2019, 05:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Oh my goodness, I'm so sorry. What a nightmare. Is there any chance admin would let you move to a different room? Maybe they don't "realize" (put in quotes, because they really should) the problem?
TeacherPK6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Room
Old 06-08-2019, 06:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Run, don’t walk, to admin and scream bloody murder. This is wrong in far too many ways and dangerous for your kids. Clearly, Admin only thought of “kindercrazy needs a room. Here’s one”. Not taking into consideration who and what will occur in said room.

I agree with Broomrider. Not to mention, it sounds like they are giving you nompaid time to set up this disaster of a room.

Last resort, on Day 1, invite parents in to help you move stuff around.

Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 06-08-2019, 07:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I wonder if the person moving into the room even knew you were using it?

I would have been screaming when you were trying to adapt. Kudos to you for being that dedicated. It doesn’t sound like a good idea to be in this room period. My guess is people refused to house your class in their own rooms, and someone else drew a short straw. That is just wrong on so many levels.
kahluablast is online now   Reply With Quote

md2dkh3

Kinderkr4zy
Old 06-08-2019, 07:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Please let us know how this is resolved for you. I sincerely hope that your admin steps up and makes sure that you have a safe and acceptable room for you and your ESY class.
md2dkh3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Kinderkr4zy

Old 06-08-2019, 07:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I sent Admin an email letting her know that I am worried about safety with the stacks of boxes and I asked her to come and see it all and give me some idea on how to make it safe with all these boxes that the kids arent supposed to get into. We will see where this goes.

Kahlua-You hit the nail on the head-no one wants ESY in their room. Infact we have had multiple handouts about not touching of using their things, instructions on taking pictures of the room and being sure to put it all back as it was on the last day ect. ESY in my district is all housed in 1 school and the admin for ESY is not the P of that school. That schools P lets the ESY admin know which rooms they are allowed to use. I was told this room is all we have and we aren't allowed to use the other rooms.

At the very least, whoever is moving in could store her boxes in a unused rooms until ESY is over. This sucks, and today by back is killing me from moving boxes.

Keltikmom- room set up is always unpaid, that's why most teachers don't do much of anything to set up. I always do because I want the kids to be able to come into a room that's inviting and that is conducive to their needs. But the is hot mess, I couldn't have chosen to not set up if I wanted to.

Last edited by Kinderkr4zy; 06-08-2019 at 07:51 AM..

elmo33

Sad
Old 06-08-2019, 07:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

This makes me so sad, your kids deserve a safe place conducive to learning. They provide these programs for at- risk kids and then do not provide the right environment. If you were in my school I would offer my room to you- why can other teachers say no? I would not begin teaching until those boxes are moved...
I also think your email to admin is maybe too nice-
I am upset for you you should say they need to be moved immediately I am not teaching on an unsafe environment.
elmo33 is offline   Reply With Quote

mom23kids

Old 06-08-2019, 02:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Quote:
So I beginning push pulling and stacking boxes that I pray dont get pulled over on to my 5 year olds with no impulse control who are know to try to climb on things.
That sounds like a liability to me. If you know they climb and pull things then it shouldn't be stacked. You can be at fault. I would ask supervisor what he/she expects you to do. Totally not your fault but that is so not fair to you or the kids.

mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote

Kinderkr4zy

Old 06-08-2019, 03:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I got an email reply-The ESY admin agrees its is unacceptable and said she will go in early and have all boxes moved Monday morning before the students arrive.

md2dkh3

Old 06-08-2019, 04:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Yay! Good news! So glad to hear!
md2dkh3 is offline   Reply With Quote