The VENT

Reading aloud to class...

>

apple annie

Reading aloud to class...
Old 06-12-2019, 07:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

A previous thread brought up this question for me:

How long should you as a teacher, continue to read aloud to your class? I mean, until what grade or age?

I continued to share books, by reading aloud excerpts, with my own personal kids well into high school. And magazine, newspaper and internet articles as well. All three of us, and their dad, are big time readers and enjoy sharing and discussing what we read, and reccommending books to each other regularly.

apple annie is offline   Reply With Quote

jml122

Old 06-12-2019, 07:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

My eighth grade teacher read aloud to us. I loved it. I read aloud to my fifth graders. They love it.
jml122 is online now   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 06-12-2019, 09:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

My 8th graders love to be read to.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Kinderkr4zy

Old 06-12-2019, 09:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I read aloud to my son every night until he started balking at it and saying that he was too old for me to read to him before bed-which was in the 5th grade.

I still read to him occasionally-not before bed thought, "thats for little kids" through middle school. The last time I read to him while he laid down was when he was in the hospital last year, which just goes to show that when you strip away all the bravado and pseudo maturity they still enjoy it and get a lot from it at 15 years old.

Now I usually just read to him/with him if he finds a books for school boring or very challenging and its required for school.
Kinderkr4zy is offline   Reply With Quote
Emily26

Emily26

Forever!
Old 06-12-2019, 10:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Honestly, I would read up to high school. It's a skill being able to listen and attend. Little kids benefit from hearing a fluent reader. Older students actually love to be read to as well. I wouldn't do a "read the entire novel out loud while the kids follow along in their books", but I would absolutely read excerpts, articles, paragraphs from a book, etc.

cruxian

Old 06-13-2019, 03:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I think I spurred part of that debate at least. I teach fifth grade. I have always read out loud to my classes. Always. It's a good tool to model fluency and reading strategies. It provides a place for communal discussion of books. I started using Notice and Note and used picture books to model strategies and chapter books to model finding the strategies and a chance for them to start finding the strategies. It also introduces them to books and authors and genres them might not otherwise know about. BTW I had one class this year who always wanted to "follow along in their books" and would desperately hunt down a copy of whatever book I was reaading.
cruxian is online now   Reply With Quote
msd2

msd2

Old 06-13-2019, 03:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

They still read novels to the HS kids in the gen ed English classes because, get this, "The students aren't used to reading." Yep.

I think excerpts can be fine when parts of a specific lesson. It may even be fine to read some after the reading comprehension quiz to help students decipher complex language they may not have understood, but the out-and-out reading of the whole novel should be banned.

all41

Old 06-13-2019, 03:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I currently teach 4th grade. My students have told me repeatedly that our read aloud time is their favorite part of the day. The students get upset when a special event changes our schedule and we don't have read aloud for that day. I have had classed that have asked to stay in during recess to get read aloud time when we have those schedule disruptions.

I have my students write letters to the incoming class at the end of the year and they always mention the read alouds as a highlight to look forward to.

I read chapter books, at least one chapter or about 15 min a day. This activity is not something I could ever imagine cutting from my curriculum. I'm afraid the students would revolt.
all41 is online now   Reply With Quote

FLteachESE

Old 06-13-2019, 03:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Our middle school art teacher believed in the power of read aloud and reads to his classes while they work on their art after direct instruction occues. They love it.

I love it. A good book can be made great by a teacher who loves to read aloud and that spurs the joy and love for kids of all ages.
FLteachESE is offline   Reply With Quote

Zephie

Old 06-13-2019, 03:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

When I taught middle school ELA, I would pick a series and read to them about 10 minutes a day. They could doodle or lay their heads down or follow along - I didnít care. This was a completely ďoff the curriculumĒ choice like The City of Ember series. I also read the first and last chapter of all novels. The kids loved it and we had lots of great conversations about the things they learned from the novels.

Zephie is online now   Reply With Quote

Purplecrayons

Old 06-13-2019, 06:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

As I mentioned in the previous thread, I know our upper elementary teachers had a read aloud time. It helps students with IEPs be able to hear grade level books and models fluency.
My son just finished fourth grade and read aloud time was his favorite part of the day. I believe because his teacher was reading a book to expose students to new authors and series. The sole purpose was to reading for enjoyment and not to highlight another concept. My son and many of his classmates went to library to find more books written by the same author that his teacher read to them. I think this read aloud time helps to develop excitement over books.
Myself, as life skills teacher, has a daily read aloud time with chapter books and my students love it.
Purplecrayons is online now   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 06-13-2019, 06:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Iíve taught 3-5 grades and read aloud to all of them. I can the kids who are used to being read to at home and those who arenít. Those who are sit quietly and those who arenít talk and play. It takes them awhile to learn to sit quietly and listen.
GreyhoundGirl is online now   Reply With Quote

SusanTeach

read aloud
Old 06-13-2019, 06:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I don't think you should ever stop. Teachers model how to read, so it should continue throughout their education. I know many elementary teachers who don't have a read aloud time for their students and it blows me away. The kids absolutely love it, and I truly believe it helps them enjoy books in a different way than just being forced to read it themselves. Some won't pick up certain books if you didn't entice them into that genre or author. Others have an auditory learning style, so reading to them is filling that need.
SusanTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

BellJ

Read alouds
Old 06-13-2019, 06:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I read aloud every day in 4th even though I teach math and science. It's everyone's favorite part of the day.

My senior year English teacher read The Canterbury Tales and Beowulf aloud to us. He would read the last 5-6 minutes of class. I don't remember anything else about that class, or senior year but I remember him reading.
BellJ is offline   Reply With Quote

ZipLine

Old 06-13-2019, 08:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I read aloud to my 5th and 6th graders daily when I was teaching. Novels, picture books, short stories, poems, etc. They loved it. It’s a great way to introduce them to other writers, genres, etc... and instill in them a love for books and reading.

When I was teaching, I started what I called “Rocking Chair Reader” with my students. Students could sign up to read aloud in class on Fridays. They had to practice their selection so they read it fluently and the day they presented they got to sit in my rocking chair (a big deal to them) with their classmates sitting on the rug at their feet.

My DH sometimes reads to me in bed at night. He has for as long as we have been married. I find it very relaxing, probably memories from when I was little and my parents read to me at night.

I think every teacher should read aloud to their students. Every teacher on my team did no matter what subject they taught.
ZipLine is online now   Reply With Quote

all41

Read Aloud Thoughts
Old 06-13-2019, 09:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I am an adult, and have been for a very long time, and enjoy listening to read alouds. In fact, I have someone read to me for 20-25 min, twice a day, nearly every day.I listen to audio books in my car!

My drive to and from school is something I actually look forward to. I have been known to occasionally take the long way home when I'm at an exciting point in the story.
all41 is online now   Reply With Quote

apple annie

Old 06-13-2019, 09:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

Wow!

Someone mentioned the communal aspect of reading to and with someone else. I think thatís what does it for me. I read to my kids when they were little because I knew it was good for them as developing readers. I continued long after because itís an enjoyable way to connect with them.
apple annie is offline   Reply With Quote

happygal

Charlotte's web
Old 06-13-2019, 10:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

In 4th my teacher read this, i still recall her getting teary-eyed when Charlotte spoke to Wilbur about dying.

I have read to hundreds of students, to my own daughters, granddaughter. I had a boyfriend who used to read aloud to me.

Another thing is does is model a love for reading.

Last edited by happygal; 06-13-2019 at 11:23 AM..
happygal is offline   Reply With Quote

juliet4

Read aloud
Old 06-13-2019, 10:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

Any age, any time. Now my grandchildren love read aloud time. Back in the 80ís, I read aloud books like the Hobbit or Where The Red Fern Grows. As I ended my career five years ago, the students no longer had the ability to sit through books like these.
juliet4 is offline   Reply With Quote
happygal
Old 06-13-2019, 11:31 AM
This message has been deleted by happygal.

Clarity

When I taught high school, I
Old 06-13-2019, 12:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

often had to read aloud stories to my 10th graders and even my 12th grade multicultural literature classes because most of my students would not bother reading on their own. It was the only way we got through the books. Also, a large number of my 10th graders were reading on a level below 7th grade.
Clarity is online now   Reply With Quote

FLteachESE

Old 06-13-2019, 12:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

The post about Charlotte's Web making the teacher teary eyed and the memory about it.....

Another way that teachers can connect to children and teens is through read aloud and their own reactions to the readings. It shows the children our humanity and vulnerability.

I LOVE Berkley Breathed and his book "Pete and Pickles" and when I saw he had a chapter book I immediately got it and began reading it as a read aloud. It was called "Flawed Dogs" It was a fresh read and when I got to the parts that were heart heavy, the kids got to see me cry and be invested in the book. It became real to them- how a book can be so moving and important.

THAT is why I love reading to children- that connection.
FLteachESE is offline   Reply With Quote

sonoma

Old 06-14-2019, 09:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

I read aloud to my hs students. Poetry and excerpts from novels. I tried to make it interesting enough that they would want to get the book on their own.

When I read Shakespeare aloud I would flip through pages muttered quietly ďoh I have to skip this too suggestive.Ē They would scour the play looking for the dirty parts.
sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote

LastMinute123

Old 06-14-2019, 11:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

I usually have an audiobook going when I wash dishes, mow the lawn, or clean floors/bathrooms. I listen to books in the car when I'm by myself and occasionally with a timer as I fall asleep (and then usually have to rewind a few minutes the next time I start it up!). I use the free Overdrive app with my library card to borrow audiobooks and when an email comes through that I've come off a waitlist and have a book waiting for me, there's always a little thrill.

I'm a fully grown adult and I love to be read to. I think that answers how old I think you should be!
LastMinute123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Linda/OH

read alouds
Old 06-17-2019, 02:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

I love this post! Reading aloud is a powerful tool. And as so many posters say, it' s often students favorite part of the day or at least reading. I have a basket of my teacher read alouds , a collection that includes all genres and picture and chapter books for 4th grade. I can't imagine NOT reading aloud to a class
Linda/OH is offline   Reply With Quote

Gromit

Old 06-17-2019, 07:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #25

I don't think you should ever stop. Neither does the research.

www.trelease-on-reading.com
Gromit is online now   Reply With Quote

Lakeside

Old 06-17-2019, 03:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #26

Quote:
I read aloud to my hs students. Poetry and excerpts from novels. I tried to make it interesting enough that they would want to get the book on their own.

When I read Shakespeare aloud I would flip through pages muttered quietly “oh I have to skip this too suggestive.” They would scour the play looking for the dirty parts.

Sneaky, very sneaky

Quote:
How long should you as a teacher, continue to read aloud to your class? I mean, until what grade or age?
As long as you can get away with it!
Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote