Help

BusyBoard

The things kids say

>

Kinderkr4zy

The things kids say
Old 06-13-2019, 06:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Two weeks before the last day of school I asked my class, "Is there anything we didnt do this year that you hoped we would get to do? Is there anything that I missed that you really wanted to have a chance to try?".

Only 1 child could come up with something-They wanted to play soccer for PE...ok easily done.

SO we did everything they hoped for, and everything that they were looking forward to about 3rd grade. Check. Mission complete. Mark it down as a success.

SO I am reading their message that they wrote to next years incoming third graders, sort of an everything you need to know about third grade guide, and I get to the "things you are gonna love about thirds grade" section and what do my eyes see? About 1/3 of my class talked about how I give them "good stuff" and our last day of school party- that's what you loved? That is all you can think of that you enjoyed? I literally did everything you were looking forward to, everything you hoped for, and what you actually loved was the stuff you got and a party? Kids these day.

Kinderkr4zy is online now   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Kids say
Old 06-13-2019, 06:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Itís a case of last memory. Kids arenít good at historical recall without prompts. All they remember is what happened today or yesterday. Donít be upset.
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

Love it!
Old 06-13-2019, 06:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Don't take it personally! That's kids! I love what you did, though! I've never thought about doing that, but maybe I should do that! That's a good idea to ask if there is anything else they want to do. Just curious, though, what would you do if it was something not doable/not school related/etc.? I could see hear some of mine say "Play fortnite!"

Anyway, one thought that came to my mind is to make a list on chart paper during the first week of school with what they are looking forward to, what they would like to do, etc. As you do those things, you could cross it off. You could also have one where they add things they did that didn't make it on the list at the beginning fo the year. Then, when you write those letters next year, the kids could look at the list and write about some of the things on there.

As I was writing this, I thought about something we did when I was in 5th grade. When I was in 5th grade, we wrote our own newspaper. At the end of the year, students were assigned different topics about things we did during the year. We worked with partners and wrote an article. Then our teacher published it like a newspaper. We each got a copy to take home as a keepsake. However, our teacher saved copies and shared them with the new 5th graders at the beginning of the new school year to show them what they had to be excited about. It's similar to your letters, but with pairs writing about certain events/things we did, specific things were written about.
Teacherbee_4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Kinderkr4zy

Old 06-13-2019, 07:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Quote:
Just curious, though, what would you do if it was something not doable/not school related/etc.? I could see hear some of mine say "Play fortnite!"
I did preface it by saying that it had to be school appropriate and not against the rules in the school handbook-otherwise that may very well have come up.

Quote:
Anyway, one thought that came to my mind is to make a list on chart paper during the first week of school with what they are looking forward to, what they would like to do, etc. As you do those things, you could cross it off.
This is a fantastic idea!
Kinderkr4zy is online now   Reply With Quote

MaineSub

There might also be a difference...
Old 06-15-2019, 04:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I agree with Kelticmom regarding kids' memory... and would add that I don't think kids distinguish between "fun" and "exciting." They tend to remember exciting.

MaineSub is offline   Reply With Quote