Help

BusyBoard

Trying to digest SBAC scores and use the data

>

Kinderkr4zy

Trying to digest SBAC scores and use the data
Old 06-16-2019, 01:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

First-I teach third grade so I don't get score reports on my incoming kids, so there is no way for me to use SBAC score growth to determine my teaching efficacy. Before the last few years I taught exclusively in non testing grades (mostly k or pre-k) so I am fairly new at trying to use SBAC or other standardized testing data.

But-

I went into my student information system to see if scores were in for my last years (2018/19) kids (they weren't) since I am curious how they did because I feel like they should be the highest I have had yet-IT was a great year with a class that wanted to work hard and learn. The math portion though seemed much harder this year (they did say that they made changes to the math portion this year it but geez) from what I saw though so who knows.

When I saw that they weren't in I went back and looked at my last 2 years before that. I had a higher class 2 years ago in general but also a LOT of sped (6). This shows in their scores which with 12 out of 25 being in the advanced range with too many (6) being in the far below range.

The next year my class seemed lower on the whole, especially in reading. several kids got approved for sped by the end of the year. I also made some changes with how I was teaching ELA-doing more of my own thing and less of the curriculum as written and I got better at using the math curriculum (Eureka) which takes some getting used to. I was generally worried about how the kids would do since they were so low, rather lazy and hard to motivate, and seemed to need a lot more intervention just keep up. Well, there were less advanced students on SBAC but overall far fewer who scored a 2 or a 1 as 64% of my class fell into the 3 range .

My initial reaction is to think that my interventions and curriculum changes paid off, and I was able to raise more 2's to 3's. But there were only a few (4 in ELA and 5 in math) advanced 4's so perhaps they were only good for struggling students rather than helping advance currently on grade level students?

But then again maybe I dont have enough years worth of data to determine what is and what isnt working?

Should I be trying to find meaning in a such a small sample size or should I just let it go-since I cant use growth and each class isnt created equal.

Kinderkr4zy is online now   Reply With Quote

Beagles

Old 06-17-2019, 09:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I wouldn’t take the SBAC scores seriously. In my grade, they took away the short responses. The test questions were very vague on the PT portion of math and I honestly think they are running out of scenarios. A lot of my kids got a 4 in ELA 92% overall passed and 85% overall in Math, which surprised me as they were very difficult in learning new concepts or lack motivation.
Did you go to the on-line reporting link to see the results?
Beagles is offline   Reply With Quote

Kinderkr4zy

Old 06-17-2019, 06:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

We do not have access to score reports via a link-it would be kind of nice if we did. I will be able to view them in our student information system by the end of summer but that is the first I will get to see for last years kids.

I can see the year before kids though and they were my first class to have any regular access to computers in the classroom (before that they only had 25 minutes in a lab twice a week-so not enough to be comfortable or proficient at all) and I think that may be part of why I had such a higher pass rate (89%) compared to year before (76%) even though the kids the with the lower pass rate actually knew more and did better class and had more 4's.

I just wish I could use the data to see what I am doing well, and what changes did or didnt the payoffs that I thought it would.

My 2017/18 class was lower in genera and didn't have many kids who pick up new material quickly or easily. Everything was hard for them and took a long time for them to get-but I didnt have as many sped kids either (however I did have sped kids who scored proficient but they aren't as low as the sped kids I had in 2016/16 who were all at a kinder to middle first grade level at the end of third grade). I wasnt shocked to see few 4's-they weren't a 4's kind of class- but I was surprised to see a higher overall pass rate and I thought that I would have many 2's from that group.

So I guess I cant really use the data they way I want to-the 2 classes are too different, and I still dont have last years data.

Last edited by Kinderkr4zy; 06-17-2019 at 06:23 PM..
Kinderkr4zy is online now   Reply With Quote