Help

Special Education

Advice about Spec Ed credential

>

DisTeach1

Advice about Spec Ed credential
Old 10-24-2005, 05:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi! I am a first year teacher in middle school with a multi subject credential. I am really wanting to go back and finish my special ed credential...It would only be four classes. However, with demands of family, I don't think I can work full-time and go to school. So, I'm thinking of going back to subbing next year, so I can go to school. The thing I'm worried about is that that will look bad on my record-Working for one year, and then subbing for a year. I'm worried I won't be able to find a job again after the year is up! Yes, I will have my credential, but I'm worried about my age also...I will be 38 in a couple of days. I really want to do this, but what does anyone think? I don't have tenure, and am only a probationary/temp teacher, so I can't take a leave of absence.

DisTeach1 is offline   Reply With Quote

speeder1

Old 10-24-2005, 01:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I don't know where you are at, but if you are certified in Special Education you will have a job. You may check at the university where you plan on attending and they may have weekend or evening classes. Also, have you thought about attending during the summers?

I have been out of school for 3 years now and I signed my first contract 11 days after graduation. The district I work at now, I did not even apply. The special education director called me and offered me a position. This past summer I was called for another town asking me to come there. I refused and then the principal asked me if I knew of any Sped. teachers that needed a position.

Spec. Education is the place to be for stability. It is stressful and there is a ton of paperwork but at the same time it is rewarding and fulfilling .
speeder1 is offline   Reply With Quote

GM

Old 10-25-2005, 06:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Believe me, you WILL have a job when you complete your courses. You could probably resign midyear (not recommending it) and still have a job.

Special Ed Teachers are in great demand. I'm working as an intern. I, too, have a multiple subject and going to night class once a week. It's tough. I have no personal life. I have 4 classes to complete, then there is student teaching. That will give ma a preliminary mild/moderate credential. Then, I need 5 MORE classess to get my clear.

BYW, I'm 50 - two months away from 51. So, 38? You are YOUNG!

I think if you explain at an interview why you took time off from teaching, they would understand perfectly. Anyone who knows sp ed would definitely understand.
GM is offline   Reply With Quote
pjm

pjm

yes and no
Old 10-29-2005, 10:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

HI
while there is a huge demand for special ed teachers in many districts let me be the first to tell you our district did NOT hire any new special ed teachers this year...

If I were you I'd have a family meeting, see if your dh can be more supportive while you take one class per semester....and maybe more in the summer....you could take a winter term, a spring term and 2 in the summer and be done, and maybe your own district would then transfer you to a sped position and you wouldn't have to go thru the hassle of interviewing again....I think it's doable without quitting your job

DisTeach1

Old 10-30-2005, 07:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Actually, we already had a family meeting and my husband is supportive of whatever I want to do. I just don't want to work while going to school. I'm stretched thin now, and don't want to add to my stress level. Our family life is extremely busy. During the summer, we travel, so I'm only taking one class. I really want to not work and also take spanish next year. We can afford it and my husband is supportive, but I'm really worried about finding a job when all is said and done.

DisTeach1 is offline   Reply With Quote

GM

Old 10-30-2005, 07:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

In my opinion, you would get a job when you are ready. I don't think working one year and then deciding to sub the next looks bad.

Everyone has there threshold (hope that is spelled correctly). Some can work full-time, raise kids, go on family outings, etc all at the same time. I do not know how they do it; I also question the "quality" of their work. (I don't want to offend anyone.........)

Our district hired 4 SPED teachers this year. Two of us are interns. Our local newspaper's job ads were chuck full of SPED postions at the beginning of the year.

How much of a demand is there in your area for SPED teachers?

I think you are doing the right thing: asking others' opinions. BUT you have to decide what is best for you. Trust yourself. It's not always easy to do, I know.
GM is offline   Reply With Quote