Help

Special Education

1st time sped teacher

>

kuntrygirl

1st time sped teacher
Old 07-31-2008, 06:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I will be starting a new job this school year. My class is titled Severe and Profound. I will have students with multiple handicaps and other issues. I've not looked at all the IEPs. PT and OT come into the classroom. I'm looking for ideas for setting up my room and ideas for the first week. There was not much academic content in the room. Very few books and lots of "hard games" and toys. I fear the paras will not be too happy with my changes. I really don't know my schedule or behavior plan. Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Deanna

kuntrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote

pegsped

pegsped

Ideas
Old 08-01-2008, 06:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Do you have any info about how the class was run in the past? It is helpful to gain some insight as to what was in the schedule previously. It's difficult to plan your whole day without more info on your kids goals. So, first, I would see what info you can get.
I'm not sure of the ages of your kids, but think sensory time- tubs or other activities.
Time for individual work, activities the assistant can keep the kids busy with while you pull.
Story time, file folders, self-help tasks, etc. etc.
Once you have an idea of the goals you'll need to work on and the groups you want to include, then you can begin to organize the room to best meet your needs.
Good luck!

PPCDTeacher

Old 08-01-2008, 08:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

One thing I'd suggest is posting some proposals at DonorsChoose.org and asking for some materials (like through lakeshore, kaplan, etc) that YOU would like specifically for your students.

I have a couple of sev/prof kids in my class. We do a lot of music, circle time, art projects, read a lot of stories, do flannelboard activities to go along with the stories. They really like Big Books. We work a lot on their PT and OT goals as well. We also do snack time, so kids have time to practice feeding themselves and learning how to eat at the able, learning how to clean up. We also have some time for "workshop". Here's my little blurb for "workshop" from my school website:

The workshop activities are tailor-made to meet the needs of each student's Individual Education Plan (IEP). Students are taught how to do workshop at the beginning of the year and guided through the process by the teacher. As the year goes on, teachers encourage students to do more and more of the work on their own. The ultimate goal of workshop is for students to be able to complete all of the activities independently.
Activities in Workshop Include:
  • lacing cards
  • puzzles
  • tracing templates
  • matching
  • dressing vests
  • sorting
  • counting to 100
  • math boxes
  • vocabulary
  • writing sentences
  • cutting
  • pegboards
  • days of the week
  • guided reading
  • word wall
  • Math Mystery
  • Estimation Jar
  • word work
  • graphing
  • & much more
PPCDTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote

SpEdDreamer

Can you tell me how to access your website...
Old 08-03-2008, 10:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I would love to look at your workshop info. I am doing something similar to this in my room for the very first time and I would like to see what you use and how you effectively use the time.

Susanne
SpEdDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote

ksherri

Old 08-23-2008, 07:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I am teaching a functional classroom this year. I have taught in a regular education 1st grade for a long time. This was my first week and I set up several centers. That seemed to work, but I am not sure about the schedule I need to turn into my principal. It seems like I was changing activities about every 15 minutes. I have 7 students with multiple disabilities-2 severe autistic. Any help with a schedule and ideas for centers. Thanks.

ksherri is offline   Reply With Quote