Help

Special Education

1st Grade

>

mom2cbs

1st Grade
Old 06-23-2006, 06:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I just found out that I will have an autistic student in my first grade class next school year. All I know at this point is that he will have a full time para coming with him. I don't know much about necessary modifications for an autistic student in a reg. ed classroom. I want to find out as much as I can and get ready over the summer vaca. Any tips, ideas, etc. you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

mom2cbs is offline   Reply With Quote

Resource T.

Resource T.

suggestion
Old 06-23-2006, 08:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Every student is different. Therefore, it is difficult to recommend modifications. This student must have an IEP, correct?

Why don't you do a Google search for autism. There is so much good info on the Internet.

brett158

Old 07-14-2006, 01:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

The biggest piece of advice I can give is to come up with a picture schedule that is just for that student...use velcro so that you can switch things around if needed BUT beware most students with autism have an extremely difficult time with change. Try to keep the schedule the same daily as much as possible. If you know of any changes coming up (assemblies etc.) frequently remind the student of this. Also utilize the para that will be with the student! Too often I see these people just sitting there because the teacher has given them no direction or doesnt want to let them do anything. This person will be vital to your students success, they are a constant presence in the students day and can be of a great service if you let them know how much you appreciate their services.
brett158 is offline   Reply With Quote
Car

Car

austism
Old 07-19-2006, 07:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I agree that his IEP is the first place I would look but we all know sometimes they are not much help.
Very important---I would call the parents and attempt to set up a meeting prior to school to discuss concerns/needs. They can tell you sooo much about the student and it will save you many headaches.
Although all students are different, I have discovered some important things working with students with Autism.
1-often they need a quiet space to go if they are experiencing sensory overload. This may be under a loft or something you have created. You will often have to set a time limit on this but especially the first few days which can be loud and overwhelming-it may be used often.
2-you can never have too many pictures (if he/she does not communicate). Label your cubbies etc. if you use them to store center item. (blocks, crayons, etc) This encourages independence.
3-Create a picture schedule and if needed have the para review it with him each morning. This prepares him for what is coming up and may prevent meltdowns. I also create a monthly calendar upon which I velcro pictures for fieldtrips, assemblies, etc. and prepare him way in advance.
4-He may have sensory issues related to meals/types of food so this may be something you will need to know.
If you find out more about him, I would be happy to give you more ideas if needed. cj_3075@yahoo.com
Temple Gradin wrote a few books which will help you understand some of their sensory concerns. It helped me understand why one of my students did not recognize his mother when she came to school-he would always cling to me instead! He had difficulty recognizing faces when the person was not in the usual setting.