Help

Special Education

"No general ed teacher needed"

>

Ima Spedtcher

"No general ed teacher needed"
Old 10-08-2008, 09:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Our new prince told me that general education teachers are not required to attend IEP/eligibility meetings. I of course argued with him, but he insisted that this was true and he would make the decision as the administrator of the school.

I do not feel comfortable in holding a meeting without a general education teacher present. In fact our school just got in heaps of trouble for doing this the last few years (I wasn't at this school at the time)- administration got on board with having general ed teachers attend- and now, with a new prince we are taking a giant step backwards.

On top of that both the prince and assistant prince just love daring parents to take them to due process.

This is so my last year at this school. But what should I do in the meantime? Should I talk to someone higher up? Should I refuse to hold a meeting without a general ed teacher? Should I go ahead with the meetings and pray no parent takes them up on their offers on going due process?

I welcome any advice...........

Ima Spedtcher is offline   Reply With Quote

PPCDTeacher

Old 10-08-2008, 09:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

uh... did someone write a new law or something that no one else is aware of? OF COURSE there needs to be a regular ed teacher there. You are right to feel uncomfortable. Is there someone higher up you can go to? I don't think your principal can do this legally.
PPCDTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote

conniere06

Union
Old 10-08-2008, 11:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I would say call your union and ask them. They should be able to give you the heads up. There is something wrong here and it needs to be taken care of. Of course, the general education teacher needs to be there. The IEP/eligibility meeting needs her/his input just as much if not more than anyone else. I think your new principal is trying to do nonunionized things.
conniere06 is offline   Reply With Quote

dee

Write a note to the prince
Old 10-09-2008, 01:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

CYA!

Write a note stating that since he is new, you wanted to make him aware of what happened x years ago.

Then cc your sped director.
It's your last year there anyway.
dee is offline   Reply With Quote

Lottalove

Does your IEP form itself list
Old 10-09-2008, 04:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

the mandatory team members? Our new forms state the non-negotiable (sp?) team member right on the front page. There is a page for the excusal of mandatory members but it required a written explanation and official signatures and all that.

Aren't there other members who could verify all this as well. We have the LEA, the individual to interpret.....(often the same person--our SpEd Director), the process coordinator, etc. You are correct.

We were told that in cases where there are multiple gen ed teachers because of departmentization--4th grade up--only one had to be there.

Lottalove is offline   Reply With Quote

blue_girl

Old 10-09-2008, 06:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Aaah I understand you

But my advise is also to document everything and emails are always a good documentation and can save you. I am having a similar problem with TAKS-Alt with my directors but I am emailing and saving my emails just in case TEA wants to come over and make a visit to our campus ...
blue_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Tainos_4

Tainos_4

Old 10-10-2008, 07:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Section 1414 (d) (1) (b) of the reauthorized IDEA requires a gen ed teacher present IF (and only if) the child is participating in THAT TEACHER's class for all or part of the school day.

If the child isn't integrated, though, it's not needed. And may actually be a confidentiality issue...which I admit I hadn't really thought of back when I and everyone else thought you needed a gen ed teacher on the IEP team regardless. Oops.

mom2six

Old 10-16-2008, 04:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

It is allowed under new regs for the gen ed teacher not to attend. However, our district requires the gen ed teacher's attendance. If the general ed teacher does not attend, there was a form that addressed this that required signatures. Since we don't exclude reg ed even if the child is not mainstreamed into reg ed, we don't have the form in our files.
mom2six is offline   Reply With Quote

LindyG

Do You
Old 03-30-2009, 06:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

have a Union? I would file a grievance to cover my A**.

Last edited by LindyG; 03-30-2009 at 06:41 PM.. Reason: sp. error
LindyG is offline   Reply With Quote