Help

Special Education

1st day set up AUTISM-nonverbal kids HELP

>

Amyburke5

1st day set up AUTISM-nonverbal kids HELP
Old 08-23-2006, 06:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

is anyone a teacher that can give me ideas to set up my ist day with autistic kids.. that are nonverbal?

Amyburke5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lizzie

Lizzie

Use visual cues
Old 08-23-2006, 08:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Try making a visual picture of things in the room with a digital camera that he can point to for communication. Try color coding rotation centers so he knows he needs to go to the green center. Use happy faces to motivate when he follows directions. Boardmaker is a software program that you can use to make pictures of all kinds of things to give him a voice.
Carla Cherie

Carla Cherie

Old 08-24-2006, 11:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Try searching for PECS symbols (some you can download for free), which are a standardised set of symbols for everything from 'toilet' to 'group work' and more that the students can use to communicate.

Use your daily planning to create a visual timetable for the child. A long strip of laminated colourful cardboard with a strip of velcro down the middle usually does the trick. You can then laminate either the pecs symbols or photos of areas in the classroom, activites, lunch etc and velcro the back of those. Directing the child to it in the morning so they are aware of the running of the day helps. Also helps to direct them back there during changes between activities if this is something that upsets them.

The use of an egg timer for a) consistancy in time on task and b) smooth transitions between activities is also handy.