Special Education

Struggling with Math Inclusion

>

Bonnie

Bonnie

Struggling with Math Inclusion
Old 11-17-2005, 01:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am an 8th grade special education teacher. I have been placed at this school in the middle of the school year and I am in charge of co-teaching with the math and language arts teachers on my team with the inclusion model. I am doing well in language arts, but I am having a hard time in math class. How can I reach my special education and gen ed students in math class? Since it is 8th grade, I am having a hard time trying to come up with interesting and alternative ways to present the information they're learning. I am not getting a whole lot of help from the math teacher, who is suppose to be my partner. Right now, I am seeing sped and gen ed students failing because they are being presented with direct instruction math. Is there ways to make things hands on or more student friendly without having more worksheets and papers?

ARGH! (Very frustrated!)
Thanks!

AJ

AJ

Old 11-17-2005, 02:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Hi. I teach in an inclusion schools - grades 4th and 5th. We have the students work in small groups whenever possible... diversifying the needs to the students - "stronger" student who may be able to assist students who need assistance. Also, manipulatives whenever possible work very well for struggling students. Drawing pictures/charts/diagrams (anything visual) also seems to help a good majority of the students. Hope this helps in some way. Good luck

angela

8th grade math
Old 11-18-2005, 03:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I am a big fan of learning centers! I have seen centers implemented in a self-contained room and in the general ed. population as well. Try to google math centers and see what hits you get or go to a teacher store for some literature. The hardest part I struggled with in math centers was the intial set-up/structure of it. I have some ideas if you want, but once you figure that out, it is a breeze! Kids of all ages enjoy them!
angela is offline   Reply With Quote
Dani12

Dani12

Math ideas
Old 11-27-2007, 06:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Hi, I also teach at a sp. ed. school and am teaching 8th grade math. I have two small groups in my class for general instruction and then I love to get them moving. We play tons of games with our math lessons. I created an ultimate frisbee math game, a math baseball game, a human coordinates plane game and a few others (relays, memory, jeopardy). These are awesome ways to get the kids motivated to learn the information because they know they have to work hard to get to play hard. I taught high school math last year and I have some of my students coming up to me and asking if they can come and be in my math class. It's great! The games work. They'll love you for them.