Help

Special Education

Different levels of math

>

hoptech

Different levels of math
Old 12-07-2005, 09:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have a SDC 6-8th graders for math at the same time. I am at a lost as how to teach 13 students who are at 3 different levels of math (adding/subtracting, multiplication/division, and decimals). We are currently in three separate groups. Each day I take one group aside and work with them, while the other two work with three aides. The problem we are having is when the groups that are working independently with the aides are not accomplishing much. They tend to fool around and get off task really easily. The other problem I am seeing is the students that I work with every third day are not retaining what we are learning. Any ideas, suggestions, or comments would be greatly appreciated.

hoptech is offline   Reply With Quote

ejs

Math groups
Old 12-07-2005, 12:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I also have taught 6-8 math in a slef-contained classroom. It is extrememly difficult when they are at different levels! I would keep all the group on the same topic (such as adding decimals) One group would work with lower number decimals and have less problems to complete. Another would work on higher numbers and adding decimals with decimals as well as decimals with whole numbers and so forth. This way each group would be working on the same thing, but just different levels of the topic. I did this three - four days a week. One - two days I would do some type of whole groups activity, project or game that pertained to the topic we were working on. I would also mix up the groups for each unit. Some students are stronger with problem solving, but low at fractions so groups would constantly change and this would help minimize groups getting too "comfortable' with each other and goffing off! This is what I found to work best for me, but I am sure there are tons of ways to do it! Sometimes just experimenting for a while will help find the way that works best for you and your students. While trying new things can help, the frustration will alway be there. You can't possibly teach three different groups at the same time! I would also talk with your aids and set up some type of behavior management system for them to use with the students that they work with, if you don't already have something in place. Sometime people have a hard time re-directing students and knowing when to set limits with the students. Maybe directing the aides in what you expect and when to give the students consequences will help them to keep the groups they work with on task. Again I don't know if you have already done this, but just wanted to mention it!
ejs is offline   Reply With Quote