TX Maternity Leave and Retirement- How does this work as a teacher? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

TEACHERS' LOUNGE ARCHIVE

TX Maternity Leave and Retirement- How does this work as a teacher?

>

curiousG

TX Maternity Leave and Retirement- How does this work as a teacher?
Old 02-20-2011, 05:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Maternity- Hahaha, I know these are two TOTALLY different topics but I feel like I do not know much information about either topic. I've asked co-workers about maternity leave and have heard some information about it but I don't want to ask too much because I don't want them to know that I am thinking about starting a family soon.

Retirement- I'm wondering what are benefits are and what do REALLY have after we retire? People ask me all the time and I feel like I do not know much information about it.

All info is welcome!

kermmitt

Well.....
Old 02-20-2011, 06:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

at my school in south TX we do NOT have maternity leave. We are also trying to start a family so what I did was increase my disability coverage.

Retirement, don't know much either. I do know from a coworker her brother taught in Dallas/Ft.Worth area and was coaching so he was making about 60000+ a year and his retirement check isn't even 2,000 a month. The reason I know this is because he was looking for a place to live and wanted to rent a house from my parents but couldn't afford the rent. It's pretty scary. Start saving now. I have a Roth IRA started and I contribute to a 403B which is like a 401k for non profit oraganizations such as schools and churches. Check into it for sure.

Hope this helps a little sorry I don't know more. Good luck with the starting a family.

Mme Escargot

Old 02-20-2011, 06:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I have worked in 5 different school districts in Texas, and they all were the same regarding maternity leave. You can use as many sick days as you have stored up, and any days you choose to take beyond that will be at docked pay. Remember that your unused sick days roll over each year. When you leave a district, your state days will follow you to the new district, but you lose your accumulated local ( district ) days.

I was in my 6th year of teaching when I had my first baby, and had about 6 weeks' worth of days saved up. When my second baby was born 2 school years later, I didn't have much saved up ( since I had used all my accumulated days with Baby #1 and wasn't able to save many after that due to random sick days with the baby. ) With Baby #2, I had to go off contract --- and therefore without pay --- for the 6 weeks of my maternity leave, but my job was protected by Family Medical and Disability leave.

I don't know too much about retirement, but my understanding is that because you pay into TRS, any Social Security benefits you are entitled to ( even those from a spouse who has passed away ) are reduced by the amount of your TRS payments. So say you get $200 a month from TRS and your late spouse's Social Security check would be $450. You'll get your $200 from TRS and only $250 from his Social Security, because they subtract $200 from the SS payment due to your TRS payment. How that's fair, I have no idea. If you had been a SAHM mom your entire adult life, and had never paid one dime into any kind of retirement fund, you would be entitled to your late husband's entire check. Or if you had been in the private sector and paid into Social Security, you would be entitled to your whole Social Security check as well as his whole Social Security check. But because you're a teacher, they punish you by subtracting your TRS benefits from your SS benefits.

Yet another way teachers are disrespected in our society.

TeachtoScrap

TX teacher
Old 02-20-2011, 06:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Maternity leave can vary by district so you really need to check with HR/Benefits for your district to be sure. I have done ML in two different districts.

My first leave I had to have enough days to cover what I wanted to take off. I did so I didn't get docked. However, if you had UNDER 20 days, they would only sub dock you for those 20 or until you were at 20. Sucked to be the person who SAVED days...I got no benefit from them.

In my current district I am getting ready to take my 2nd ML with them. Once again the number of days you have is what you get. However, they do something nice for those that have worked in their district for 3 or more years. They will sub dock you for 20 days and the full dock if you need more days.

While it doesn't sound like a lot of help it truly is. With #2 I was too new to the district to receive that benefit. For nine days I was docked over $2200. However, at sub rate it would have been less than $700 for those nine days.

I will get that benefit this time. However, I have very few days and will get lots of full dock pay. Thankfully, I have short term disability that will cover about a month and half of pay. I advise you to look into getting that now as a lot of policies will not cover you if you are pregnant BEFORE you sign up.

No advice on retirement! I have MANY years left and know the rules will change many times in between now and then!

JulieP

Old 02-20-2011, 07:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Maternity leave depends on your district. I would highly recommend getting short term disability insurance. If it isn't offered through your district, you can contact AFLAC or even State Farm or Farmers. If they don't offer it, they might be able to point you in the right direction. I work for a charter school. We don't have enough employees to qualify for FMLA.

As for retirement, you would do best to put some money each month into a 403B. Talk to HR about it. Usually you can do as little as $25 a month. This comes out before taxes. I put in $200 a month. Social Security benefits are less IF you've only taught in a TX school AND you don't have enough SS credits. My school pays into TRS and I pay into Social Security. Not sure why that is, but I get SS credits.

Paolo

Maternity Benefits in Canada
Old 02-20-2011, 11:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

By law, anyone who has worked at least 600 hours in the past 12 months is entitled to the following:

- 15 weeks maternity leave (for birth mothers)
- additional 35 weeks parenting leave, for birth or adoptive parents, which may be shared between partners
- may be extended up to 52 weeks if baby is hospitalized

The basic benefit rate is 55% of your average earnings up to a yearly maximum of $44,200. (Needless to say, there are no hospital or doctor costs.)