Student calling me (the teacher) names online! - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

The VENT

Student calling me (the teacher) names online!

>

teachwanxiety

Student calling me (the teacher) names online!
Old 01-12-2013, 08:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have a student who has been fine in class but who I have found out is calling me a "bitch," "slut," and "whore" on social media all because he doesn't like the amount of work I give in his honors-level course. He has never sent the stuff to me, but it bothers me that it is out there.

My boyfriend thinks I should contact the parents to teach this kid a lesson, but he will no longer be my student after this Tuesday being that the semester is ending.

I feel like as much as it bothers me, I should let it go because it's not happening at school and he won't be my student anymore, so it will undoubtedly stop after this week.

My roommate says she "talked ####" about her teachers all the time in high school and I should remember that he's only 15 and blow it off. I feel so silly, but I'll admit it had me feeling really discouraged. She mentioned that contacting the parent would open a can of worms I wouldn't want to deal with while preparing for the new semester.

Thoughts?

teachwanxiety is offline   Reply With Quote

Munchkins

Can anyone see the messages?
Old 01-12-2013, 08:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I'm wondering how you found out, and if you actually saw it. If you have access to it, then so does the rest of the world, and this kid needs a lesson in what slander is, even if he's "only" 15. If you are able to get a printed copy of it, I'd take it to my building administrator to ask if there is recourse to be taken. Sorry this happened- kids have no idea that once they put something "out there" it's out there forever.
Munchkins is offline   Reply With Quote

teachwanxiety

Old 01-12-2013, 08:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I teach in a small community and was just flipping through people's Twitter pages before coming across it. I shouldn't have looked at ones that belonged to my students, I guess. I feel like reporting it makes me look creepy in that I was looking at a student's page, so I feel like moving past it might be best for me personally, and I have to watch out for number one, but at the same time, it also bothers me that people in my community are seeing this. What do you think?

teachwanxiety

Old 01-12-2013, 08:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

And yes, anyone can see it. It's publicly on Twitter.

I have anxiety and depression and have already wanted to leave teaching all year, so I don't know if I'm obsessing over it more than I should. :/

teabreak

Social media
Old 01-12-2013, 08:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I would make a call to his parents just to let them know what he has been posting. Try not to do it in a tattling way. You could say something like, "Hi Parent, I was just calling because I was made aware that you son was posting some unkind things about me on a social media account. Is there anything I can do to help him not feel this way that you can think of? I would hate for him to struggle in other classes."

This way you are both on the same team. Recognize that he is 15 and may be blowing off steam and let the parents know that. You are not calling to tattle on the kid, but there may be an underlying concern. Maybe he has a rough home life, or can't understand the material. Who knows. I would call the parent and give them a heads up.

teabreak is offline   Reply With Quote

teachwanxiety

Old 01-12-2013, 09:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

What's ironic to me is that throughout the year, he has never earned lower than a B in my class and currently has an A- for the final marking period, so not understanding the material can't be an issue.

If I contact the parent, do I let my administration know first, or just handle it myself? I just don't want it to seem like I am communicating with my students online or stalking them on social media because I am not.

bucket

social media
Old 01-12-2013, 09:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Since I teach at an elementary school when this problem occurs it is the parents writing smack about teachers on Facebook. It doesn't happen often, but when it does, my principal calls the parent herself to take care of the problem. I really love my principal!!! She stands up for her teachers and won't back down!
bucket is offline   Reply With Quote

ashleigh_60

social meida
Old 01-12-2013, 09:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I definitely wouldn't let this go. In this day and age, you just can't have things like that floating around online. First, I would be sure to document everything and have proof of the messages. I would then ask a union rep, lawyer, or professional teaching organization representative their advice. After getting their input, I'd then go to my administration. I don't think it would be a good idea to contact his parents.
ashleigh_60 is offline   Reply With Quote

teachwanxiety

Old 01-12-2013, 09:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I do know that he has bullied students in the past, so I guess he's moving on to teachers. I am at a new school where my administration doesn't know me well, so I just hate even bringing it up. Argh. So stupid.

GreenBunny

Old 01-12-2013, 09:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

ashleigh60 is correct, you can't afford to have things like this floating around; documenting it and bringing it to the attention of your principal and union rep is a good idea. I would also say to the whole class something along the lines of "It's come to my attention that libelous remarks have been said about me on Twitter and other social media. These remarks can, of course, result in a defamation suit so those of you that participate in this might want to take a look at the defamation laws of the US before you post libelous remarks again." and then smile thinly and move on...but then I'm a little passive-aggressive .

GreenBunny is offline   Reply With Quote

Munchkins

He needs to be called on it.
Old 01-12-2013, 09:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Quote:
I do know that he has bullied students in the past, so I guess he's moving on to teachers
You really do need to address this. It is unacceptable. Let us know how it goes.

ArtistLove

Student FB and Twitter
Old 01-12-2013, 10:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I look at students' Facebook pages and Twitter feeds from time to time. They are public pages. I'm not friends with them. Their pages are a wealth of information.

You should not ignore this. One google search of your name and these tweets will come up in the search. This student has absolutely no right to verbally disrespect you like this even if he is just trying to appear tough to his friends. As a PP suggested, print out the tweets and show them to your administration. You can even say you googled yourself and found them if you don't want him to know you were looking at the student's account. Ask your administrator how to proceed. The student needs some sort of consequence, and the tweets need to be deleted.
ArtistLove is offline   Reply With Quote

teachwanxiety

Old 01-12-2013, 10:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

That's a great idea. I like that.
InternetSavv

InternetSavv

Needs to be dealt with
Old 01-12-2013, 10:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I am the teacher in my building who has search alerts set up, through GoogleAlerts and others, with my name, my school, and other things pertaining to me- when a student posts something with my name, I get an email and I go see what it is. While there, I look around. I often get lead to diatribes about various people in my building.

On more than one occasion I found lines of conversation about an impending fight that was nipped in the bud because I sent the school resource officer screen shots.

These kids need to learn that once something is on the internet, through the internet archive it is there FOREVER, and they are impacting your career. When you go to get a job, they WILL Google you. The comments by the kids WILL show up. And then you look bad.

Take screen shots, give them to your administration, and send them to the kid's parents. ALso keep copies for yourself.

I tell my students all the time: I do not stalk you, but if you BRING ME to your page, I WILL look around. Don;='t put anything out there that you don't want me to see.

teachwanxiety

Old 01-12-2013, 11:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I e-mailed my principal with screenshots and an explanation of the situation asking him how he would like for it to be handled.

Thanks for all of the feedback; sometimes it's hard to know what to do, but if he is that confident to do it to a teacher, you know he's still out there doing it to other students, and I will NOT stand for that.

AnnaCanTeach

Good for you!
Old 01-12-2013, 02:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

A difficult position for you to be in and I'm sure a very hard decision. What that boy is doing is slander/libel and it is wrong. End of discussion.

Well done you!
AnnaCanTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

Munchkins

good for you!
Old 01-12-2013, 03:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

teachwanxiety- I'm proud of you. That wasn't easy to do, I'm sure, but it was the right thing. Let us know what happens!

teachwanxiety

Old 01-12-2013, 03:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

Thank you.

If it hurts that much from someone so young when I am an adult, imagine how bad it feels from a peer for students who he bothers. If anything, it will hopefully scare him into not messing with kids in the future. I hope my principal just handles it and I won't have to think about it anymore. Glad he won't be in my class after next week!

Ima Spedtcher

As a parent
Old 01-12-2013, 07:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

I would want to know if one of my kids did this- I would put a stop to it. Kids need to know what they can and can not post online. It is a life lesson, you don't want him doing that to his boss as an adult.
Ima Spedtcher is offline   Reply With Quote

WestCoastTch

I would want to know.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

If my son did this, I would want to know at once.
WestCoastTch is offline   Reply With Quote

teachwanxiety

Old 01-13-2013, 11:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

My principal was nice enough to call me at home this morning and told me that he is still learning regarding how much he can legally do about comments made online about students and teachers being that it didn't happen at school, but he agrees that the comments are totally inappropriate. He printed out the comments and is investigating it further today with his superior and will be taking action tomorrow with the parent and student. I was really pleased that he took time out of his weekend to reaffirm my concerns and handle it as soon as tomorrow. So if you are in the same boat as me, report it! These kids need to learn what's appropriate, and it helps principals have experience in learning how to deal with this new growing problem.

GraceKrispy

Old 01-13-2013, 02:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

I'm glad you heard back from the P and he is planning to handle this. Be sure to follow up. When some students at one of my old schools did this, they lost graduation privileges. They still graduated, but were not allowed to walk because of their comments. Parents were unhappy, but they certainly got the consequences of their actions. (they were seniors, within a month of graduation, and graduation is a HUGE deal with several extra special events going on, and they slandered two of the main teachers who were responsible for putting on the event)
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote

teachwanxiety

Old 01-13-2013, 02:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

Wow, that is crazy; good for the school for handling it in such a way. I talked to a teacher friend from North Carolina who told me that they have passed a law there where students are actually arrested for slanderous comments picking on teachers and students and have it on their record until they turn 18. I know some might see that as extreme, but it's a serious issue that not enough people are seeing as serious, and I think it's appropriate for schools and law enforcement to follow up in such a way!

This student is younger and is not involved in any extracurriculars or sports, so I doubt it will be handled that way, but I am interested to see how they deal with it.

Last edited by teachwanxiety; 01-13-2013 at 02:26 PM.. Reason: forgot something :)

teachwanxiety

Old 01-14-2013, 03:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

So the punishment was to be taken out of class for a bit and then come back and issue a fake apology to me.

Am I wrong to feel like that wasn't enough?

Feeling very frustrated and quite honestly, kind of intimidated. It's infringing upon my feeling of personal safety, whether that's irrational or not.

amherstteach

Old 01-14-2013, 03:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #25

Even if it doesn't seem like a big deal to you it is! This boy is learning that he can bully and badmouth people on social media and that it is acceptable to do so. I wouldn't call the parents myself. I'd print the posts out and give them to an administrator so that they can make the call.

He needs to be taught a couple lessons.

1.) Bullying on social media is NOT acceptable...whether it's toward a teacher of peer.
2.) Having a public social media profile could come back to bite you in the butt at a future job, college, etc. if your not careful.

Personally, I think it's better for them to learn these lessons early on in life.
amherstteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Balloony1224

Balloony1224

Old 01-14-2013, 08:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #26

Did the p notify the child's parents? If not, l would call them and let them know what happened. Maybe they can make him type and post an apology online. Also, l would let the kid know, in no uncertain terms that if you ever see anything like that from him again, About you or any other teacher, a simple apology will not be enough. Check his page periodically. I'm sorry this happened to you. It could, and probably has, happened to a lot of us.