Help

Special Education

1st Year teacher teaching medically fragile

>

Ljing01

1st Year teacher teaching medically fragile
Old 07-01-2013, 12:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

This will be my first year teaching and I will be teaching the medically fragile. I would greatly appreciate any advice, suggestions, etc. I did not student teach in any CDC placements but spent several observation hours in various CDC classrooms.

Ljing01 is offline   Reply With Quote

hiker1

Old 07-06-2013, 06:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

What is CDC? I would keep the lessons short, with plenty of time to rest/recoup etc. Just remember that the medical aspect will likely overtake many lessons. I know that many of these kids just want a 'normal' routine and school is usually it. To avoid fatigue I would show lots of short videos that are connected to the lesson. Try to keep the objectives short. If you can expand then do so. You'll probably have good days and not so good days. Once you get a feel for your students you should be able to quickly adapt the lessons to meet their needs. Will you be working with a nurse?
hiker1 is offline   Reply With Quote

SpEdDee

Will you have
Old 07-12-2013, 10:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Paras with you? I would make sure they are all on board as to students needs, medical issues, etc. I would have a meeting with them before the First day. Also, have the nurses extension posted in large print by your phone. Sounds silly, but we had a teacher freeze when a child starting having a seizure and the para isn't know the nurses number. Luckily, the teacher next door jumped in and helped out.
SpEdDee is offline   Reply With Quote