Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Dance Moms

>

momabaarjo

Dance Moms
Old 01-03-2014, 10:41 AM

Okay I admit it, Dance Moms is one of my guilty pleasures...but I am rethinking it after watching last night this season opener. I know this is a reality show and probably is very scripted. Watching last night it would have to be very scripted because I would never subject my child to the language, the bullying of a teacher, outright favoritism of another child, and watching my child be belittled. Abby is way over the top this season and it is only show 1. Is fame what makes this mothers and daughters stay and put up with the treatment? IDK, but these girls are preteens (for the most part) and very impressional...I cant imagine all the psy damage being done with this dance environment. It makes me sad, and I think that I probably wont be watching anymore. It was just awful...I think Chloe is so talented and honestly I cant stand to watch Maddie and her faces when she dances. Maddie's mom, Melissa jsut buries her head in the sand and allows the other girls to be degraded while Maddie is lifted up. I think Brooke's heart is not in dance...but she stays and puts up with the treatment to further her other careers. Mia is one bright light, but honestly her mother who is an educator allows Abby to bully. As for Kendall, Peyton and their moms...well they do nothing for me but make more drama.

momabaarjo is offline   Reply With Quote

cruxian

Old 01-03-2014, 10:47 AM

It has been one of my favorite guilty pleasures too. I'm also debating watching it this season. Here's I think what really intrigued me: as a teacher, we work with lots of kids right? And they're wonderful many of them and the job is fulfilling and many of the children are really neat and interesting people. But very few of them are unusually talented or precocious in any particular area (at least as of yet). I think I've been interested in seeing young kids who were extremely talented at something. I wonder if they couldn't do a similar show featuring dancing kids one season, a hockey team another, etc. There'd be less incentive to play up the drama because it'd be just for a season and then the kids who wanted to leave wouldn't be bound by TV contracts.
cruxian is offline   Reply With Quote

76lake

Old 01-03-2014, 10:50 AM

I wouldn't be surprised if it was very scripted. Some of my DDs friends danced in a competition with Abby's team. They said Abby, the girls and moms were very friendly to the crowd and seemed very amicable to each other. I was told two things they aired didn't even happen at the competition. They probably reshot some scenes to show more drama. I'm sure the girls stay with Abby because they're tv stars.
76lake is offline   Reply With Quote

kay/5

Dance Moms
Old 01-03-2014, 11:01 AM

I believe most of the show is scripted. Almost all the time they show Abby during a dance or right after a dance (done by any of the girls), she is smiling, clapping, and looks really happy. Most of her comments right after a dance are very positive. But when they go into the dressing room, it's a completely different story.
kay/5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Mrs. R :)

Old 01-03-2014, 11:18 AM

I have a love/hate relationship with this show.... I think in some ways it accurately portrays the competitive nature of dance these days. I know some studios who are a lot like ALM and I think it is too much for little girls to be pushed like that. I've actually known a dancer in college who snapped her backbone due to constant use of her back and her career ended in college.

My DD is a dancer and has been since the age of 4. She is in her 10th year at her studio and has competed only a handful of times. She dances 7 classes and has a recital every year. She danced a beautiful acro-duo last year and is doing that again this year. And she LOVES it. She loves that there is a balance between being a kid and being a dancer. She has other interests and is able to pursue them. She looks up to her teachers, especially the owner of the studio, and I am grateful for their influence in her life. She hopes to continue dancing in HS and beyond. She is not burned out.

I know that there are studios and teachers that fit every need, so I am not judging what these parents chose for their children. And frankly, there are many more dancers at ALM's studio who are equally talented and successful without being on a tv show, so there is that. I just feel like it gives dance and competitive dance a bad name...but I do love to watch the choreography and the dancers. She does do a beautiful job with them!

Mrs. R :) is offline   Reply With Quote

Tapnstitch

I have loved
Old 01-03-2014, 11:34 AM

this show as well over the last few years. I watched it for the kids and the dancing, but there has been less and less of that and more of the moms just fighting. I am sure it is scripted for maximum drama. I quit watching it last year after one really nasty episode. I cannot stand to watch people belittle one another, so most reality shows are not for me.

I enjoy the Abby's Ultimate Dance Competition because while they do have the moms arguing they show more of the dancing. I am amazed at the skills of the young kids. I love dance ( hence the first part of my screen name

My favorite on Dance moms was always Chloe. She is so beautiful and graceful and I think a better dancer than Maddie.
Tapnstitch is offline   Reply With Quote

jmb

Old 01-03-2014, 11:41 AM

My niece took lessons at Abby's dance for 2 years but her assistants usually ran the class who were qualified instructors. Abby did come into class when she was there to give tips. My niece and sil said she was very friendly and gave helpful tips. They also met the mother's who they said were very down to earth as we're their daughters. The show is scripted and the kids are wonderful actors. When I do watch it now I ignore the drama and admire the talent of these young girls.
jmb is offline   Reply With Quote

teenytiny

Old 01-03-2014, 11:55 AM

I've been watching the show for years and it's been this way for a long time. It is obviously scripted, the producers have learned what gets the ratings and they create the drama. The girls and their moms are all in on it.
teenytiny is online now   Reply With Quote

TraddStLovely

Dance Moms
Old 01-03-2014, 11:58 AM

Quote:
I watched it for the kids and the dancing, but there has been less and less of that and more of the moms just fighting. I am sure it is scripted for maximum drama. I quit watching it last year after one really nasty episode.
I agree with you, Tapnstitch. I know the title is Dance Moms, but I always enjoyed it for the kids and their dancing. Last season, the Mom/dance balance got too far off for me. I used to record it and just fast forward to the dances, but now I've just given up.

Oh, well! More time for Big Bang Theory, Castle, and Bones!
TraddStLovely is offline   Reply With Quote

76lake

Old 01-03-2014, 01:05 PM

I am aware that there's definitely momma drama in all aspects of sports and dance. A friend of mine, who's daughter eventually went to the Houston School of Performing Arts started dancing at a local (prestigious) ballet academy at the age of 7. This girl soon beat out many of the girls who had been dancing since the age of 3. She got a solo part in the recital and the mom had a group of 8 moms at her door spouting about how unfair it was. Another mom, at this same dance school, had a restraining order put out against her for being so confrontational. None of these girls have danced since high school.

76lake is offline   Reply With Quote

kster

Old 01-03-2014, 03:25 PM

I watched it a time or two but not too much. I totally got sucked in to the marathon on New Year's Day and watched hours...I couldn't turn away.My SO asked me hat kind of people (besides me) would actually watch such trash. I was not happy about the comment, but knew what he meant as far as all of the trash talk!
kster is offline   Reply With Quote

Lady Teacher

Dance Moms
Old 01-03-2014, 05:51 PM

I love the show. I understand why they stay with Abby. She creates professional working dancers. If that is your goal then you stay.

DH's niece has her own dance studio and they compete nationally too against ALDC. These are elite national competition dancers. She said that Abby is actually really nice but can be brutal. She said that when you are a professional dancer no one cares about your feelings. She learned that the hard way when she tried to make it as a professional dancer in New York. So she is preparing them for the real world that they and their parents are choosing. I don't always agree with her methods though but then again I wouldn't ever choose that world for myself or my child.
Lady Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote