anonymouse

Steven Colbert on the common core
Old 04-12-2014, 11:57 AM

http://cnsnews.com/mrctv-blog/barbar...mmon-core-math

anonymouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Peaches Pears

Old 04-12-2014, 12:09 PM

Thanks for sharing. Pretty funny.
I am Canadian but some things transcend international borders.
Peaches Pears is offline   Reply With Quote

3monkeys

Old 04-12-2014, 12:23 PM

That's great. Thanks for sharing!
3monkeys is offline   Reply With Quote

Mishellee99

Hilarious, thanks for sharing :)
Old 04-12-2014, 12:32 PM

I thought this was video was so funny and so true. I'm a math teacher and completely agree with everything that he said. Common Core seems like it's going to hurt our students more than help them. Plus, as teachers I think it's really going to change the way we approach teaching.
Mishellee99 is offline   Reply With Quote

hand

Old 04-12-2014, 01:22 PM

This is great! Thanks for sharing!

hand is online now   Reply With Quote

Rusty's Mom

I love him even more now :)
Old 04-12-2014, 01:50 PM

I have been a fan of The Colbert Report for years. He is so right on this topic! I teach third grade and students need to learn how to do the math problems without the stress of CONSTANT testing AND expectations that are not developmentally appropriate.
Rusty's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote

WIBadgerFan

Video
Old 04-12-2014, 02:14 PM

A teacher friend posted it on Facebook and I thought it was really funny and true.
WIBadgerFan is offline   Reply With Quote

funkster

Old 04-12-2014, 02:19 PM

The common core standards since they have been revised pose no real problem. The real problem is that the standardized testing changes the focus from what is best for the child to what will give us the best test scores.

We eliminated the focus on multiple intelligences, we stopped making sure our lessons are multisensory, no one wants us to do anything that is based on developmentally correct levels or best practice. We are never told to find ways to meet each child's learning style or needs anymore. It is demanded that we do everything to raise scores. I teach 1st grade and have to go to PDs to talk about what is on the state standard tests, and to get my students ready to pass them.

Shame on this system. And shame on our administrators for not taking a stand against them.
funkster is offline   Reply With Quote

rlyndecker

Love it!
Old 04-12-2014, 02:22 PM

Sorry but I think kids should UNDERSTAND what they are doing but in real life they don't need to "share with a neighbor" or use a # line etc.

It shouldn't take 5 min. to solve a problem like it seems like the CCCS math will....

I know I'll probably get flamed by many people by my comments but I haven't found much to like by the math, but I'm a drill and kill person and my students have always done well in future years.
rlyndecker is offline   Reply With Quote

Savvy

clip
Old 04-12-2014, 03:52 PM

This was very funny. Thanks for sharing.

Savvy is online now   Reply With Quote

HBteach

Old 04-12-2014, 04:14 PM

I've watched this video several times. I'm so glad it has gone viral.

Common Core is going to be our downfall. The math is ridiculous. I agree with rlyndecker.

My colleague next door who is all for CGI (Cognitively Guided Instruction). Spends an hour or more on one word problem. Children need to show three different ways to solve the problem. She has them break down numbers and stuff I don't understand.

Yes, kids need to know what they are doing, but it doesn't have to be complicated.

I hope many parents see this, including parents from my school.
HBteach is offline   Reply With Quote

sparky123

It will be interesting
Old 04-12-2014, 09:23 PM

to see how our kids do in a few years if common core sticks around. But that math problem was not that bad...I have seen more convoluted problems than that one
sparky123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sariana

Old 04-13-2014, 12:13 AM

I have seen that number line problem before. That "electrical engineer" was a fool. I think both that problem and the one about the cars are excellent math problems (not arithmetic but MATH). All the hubbub about the "new" Common Core math is just reinforcing what I already suspected--most Americans do not understand math. Believe it or not, students can learn this way. Those who are able to "drill and kill" may or may not actually understand what they are doing and WHY it works. But those who can solve problems like the examples I've seen have to understand the math and the number sense behind it.

The biggest problem I have with the CC math is that many students lack the LANGUAGE skills to explain their thinking. But almost all children have the intuitive number sense required to solve problems this way.

Just because something works for one subset of the population does not mean it is the best way to teach. My son cannot memorize his math facts, but he is really (and I mean really) good at math. He is thriving under Common Core, which is still in transition in my state (CA).

A student who can memorize math facts and algorithms will do well when that is all that is expected, but s/he may not be so successful when things get more murky in calculus, quantum mechanics, and other higher-order math classes that require more creative thinking and a real understanding of numbers and what they mean. Plugging numbers into formulas gets one only so far.

Last edited by Sariana; 04-13-2014 at 12:29 AM..
Sariana is offline   Reply With Quote

Suzanne

Common Core Math
Old 04-13-2014, 04:16 AM

I haven't watched the video yet because I don't want to wake my sleeping husband or sleeping dog. (On the other hand, they didn't seem to be too concerned that their snoring would wake me up).

Anyway, I teach fourth grade in New York. I've taught mostly fourth grade for nearly 30 years. Our district has been asked to "adapt" (rather than "adopt") the modules from www.engageny.org. So what I can speak about is more about the Common Core modules rather than the Common Core Curriculum. I am trusting that they are nearly one in the same.

I'm not a fan at all as to how the Common Core was implemented. I've had to teach concepts such as number bonds, decomposing, area models... before teaching a specific skill. This has taken quite a bit of time.

I have to say, I have really enjoyed learning and teaching some of the new methods for teaching math. I've learned some new methods of teaching fractions, subtraction and multiplication. I've always just taught that "hows," (for example how to change an improper fraction to a mixed number), without spending enough time on the "whys," (as in why this works).

Sadly, though, I have not had ANY time to play any of the math games I've collected over the years. We rarely use manipulatives. My poor readers cannot solve the word problems as they are too difficult to read. I cannot count on parents (or our school support staff, for that matter) to be able to help my students with their homework.

So I have mixed feelings on this topic. I have LOVED some of the new strategies I've learned, but I HATE the implementation and the amount of concepts to be taught.

That all being said... I look forward to seeing the video after these two clowns (husband and dog) wake up.

Suzanne
Suzanne is offline   Reply With Quote

Mrs. R :)

Suzanne
Old 04-13-2014, 04:40 AM

I am so interested to read your post! I am in RI and my district is using the Engage NY math (Eureka Math) in grades K-5. I am a first grade teacher.

I am really seeing a lot of positives in our math workshop. I am floored by the depth of knowledge my students have about numbers. The flexibility in their thinking is incredible. They can talk about math in ways I have never heard from first graders, and they really LOVE the challenges of the what I present to them.

I have hope that as we continue to implement the tool and say true to the CCSS, your job as an upper level elementary teacher will get easier. Students will come to you with an wealth of experience in using a variety of models and know the expectations for proving their math work and showing their thinking. This is our first year using EM, so I know the 4 and 5th grade teachers and really struggling with much of the tool.

I also find my students are very fluent in their math facts. Our expectation is fluency within 10 in addition and subtraction. Happily, 90% of my class is already meeting fluency benchmarks. That is exciting.

There are still struggles, as you mentioned. My students who have difficulty with reading comprehension or ones that have language disabilities are having a hard time with the assessments. They understand the skills, but cannot always show it in the Eureka Assessments. My district is working on addressing this now. We are talking about modifying assessments for students with documented challenges (through RTI or students with an IEP) and we are thinking about how best to do that.

Thanks for your writing. It was interesting to hear your viewpoint!
Mrs. R :) is offline   Reply With Quote

Mrs. Hos

Funny
Old 04-13-2014, 04:58 AM

lol thanks for sharing. DH and I both enjoyed that! So, so true!
Mrs. Hos is offline   Reply With Quote