Help

Special Education

$500 mild/moderate classroom

>

Miller

$500 mild/moderate classroom
Old 05-20-2014, 07:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

If you had $500 to spend for a mild/moderate classroom, what would you request?

I will have 1st and 2nd graders with varying learning disabilities, Autism, and Down's. Most have no letter-sound recognition.

I know I could get a listening station, maybe some smaller more kid-friendly headphones for my computers.

What else?

Miller is offline   Reply With Quote

Lottalove

Manipulatives
Old 05-21-2014, 04:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

and other hands on tactile items, if you don't already have them. All students are hands on at that age--those with disabilities moreso.

Math needs things like linking cubes, tangrams, fraction sets, colors, shapes, etc.

For reading/phonics, things like cut out/lace up letters, sensory items like sandpaper/felt letters. Marker boards with the accessories, shaving cream, etc. The tubs with small toys and replicas to represent the sounds like from Lakeshore or similar. They have them for initial sounds, blends, vowel sounds, etc.

http://www.lakeshorelearning.com/med...ll/lc856_f.jpg
Lottalove is offline   Reply With Quote

Miller

Old 05-21-2014, 03:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I do have linking cubes, tangrams, shapes...I do NEED lacing things and tubs with small toys...great ideas!!! Thanks.

Keep them coming!
Miller is offline   Reply With Quote

hopey_glass

technology?
Old 05-23-2014, 03:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I find that my kids no matter how 'low' really enjoy the ipad & it helps them with sight words, letter sounds and tracing letters and numbers - there are a lot of apps that are free and others really low cost. I like the immediate feedback and so easy for kids to use.
Does your school have ipads - if not, a lot of apps are also available for other tablets. The kids get to where they can do thing on them independently. Also serves well as an encouragement to do work....do this and then you can have the ipad for x minutes.
Our school library has several ipads for checkout too so I just buy the apps on my account and then sign onto the library ipads with my apple id and you only have to buy the app once for all the ipads.
My own kid was sweet enough to buy me my own & I also take it to school. I was worried at first as I have a couple kids who have anger issues but so far so good.
hopey_glass is offline   Reply With Quote