Help

Special Education

1:1 counting... again

>

kbach

1:1 counting... again
Old 01-29-2015, 04:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I teach children with intellectual disabilities. I have been on very board and asked every colleague ... How do you teach 1:1 counting to children that are VERY delayed in this? I am doing every strategy I know but it just isn't working. HELP!!

kbach is offline   Reply With Quote

spedder1

I feel your pain
Old 01-29-2015, 06:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

How severely ID are they? I teach children with moderate to severe ID. Some just never get it. I use manipulatives, computer programs, hand over hand for my lowest kiddos. They just do not have the intellectual capacity. I am fortunate that my district purchased the ULS curriculum. It is taught at 3 different levels. My lowest kiddos just need to attend to the activity. Sometimes that is where you start. That may be as far as some students get. It is one of the reasons I am retiring. Until those who make the educational policies in this country listen to the experts (classroom teachers) our kiddos are dumped in the pot with typically developing students and are deemed failures for things that are out of their developmental abilities.
Kathy
spedder1 is offline   Reply With Quote

kbach

variety
Old 01-31-2015, 10:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I have a wide range in my classroom. Some are mild and have no problems with the counting (other than paying attention.) I do have quite a few that are more moderate/low moderate and I just can't get them to do it. I am going to do insane very soon. We have had the ULS curriculum in the past but it doesn't really address the new standards that are associated with common core. I use some of the materials to supplement but they don't really have anything great for 1:1.
kbach is offline   Reply With Quote