"I had a dream that I had your job, and it was so pleasant!" - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Special Education

"I had a dream that I had your job, and it was so pleasant!"

>

Haley23

"I had a dream that I had your job, and it was so pleasant!"
Old 09-18-2015, 03:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Grr. I am SO tired of gen ed teachers talking about how easy my job is. It seems like this happens all of the time (and has happened in every school I've been in). We had a PD day today and my sped team ended up sitting next to a grade level team at lunch. One of the teachers proceeds to tell us that she had a really rough day the other day, and then had a dream that she was on our team. She said it was "so pleasant" and she woke up and was sad that it wasn't true. My teammate just looked at her and said, "We have rough days too." She said that she knows it's not all easy but sometimes she would just like a break from being in charge of a class.

I just wanted to share a vent with people that would get it!

Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Opal

I SO get it now...
Old 09-18-2015, 03:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

like I said...I taught reg ed for many years and am teaching sped this year....yes-reg ed teachers work their butts off...but the stress associated with sped teachers is huge...I am seriously wondering how I will get through the year...some days I feel crazy with all the behaviors that I manage...and I have a very competent support person...it is NOT an easy job...I don't think anyone's job in education is easy!
Opal is offline   Reply With Quote

WIBadgerFan

Old 09-18-2015, 04:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I've taught both reg ed and spec ed (currently doing spec ed). I would go back to reg ed without a second thought if there was an opening in the middle school. Both jobs have stress, but there is so much more paperwork and legal stuff with spec ed.

I don't think the reg ed teachers I work with totally get it, but one of them did tell me the other day that she wouldn't want my job.....neither do I anymore.
WIBadgerFan is offline   Reply With Quote

Seaturtle08

Opposite at my school!
Old 09-18-2015, 04:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I've also taught both gen ed and sped, currently teaching sped. I'm self contained: 5 kids, 2 paras. Some of the gen ed teachers have mentioned to me that when they see us in the hallway, they do not envy our job! I know many don't get it...but it's nice when they're not complaining about how you only have x amount of kids!
Seaturtle08 is offline   Reply With Quote

spedder1

Seaturtle
Old 09-18-2015, 04:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I was a self-contained teacher for 14 years. Last year I had 2 classroom paras, a 1:1 para, and a 1:1 nurse in my room. I had 6 students with 5 adults. Only one teacher ever told me, "Must be nice". I told her that she should try managing 6 students schedules, meeting IEP goals, writing individual lesson plans every day, AND managing 4 other adults. The adults were more of an issue than the kids. I had one para who was, I swear, trying to put me in the nuthouse. I was subbing in the building twice this week, once in gen. ed. and once in self-contained. All of the self-contained paras and the 1:1 nurse talked with me. The one didn't even look my way. I am so glad to not have to deal with it anymore. There were days last year that I was so happy when I was down that para and didn't even have a sub. It was so nice.
Kathy

spedder1 is offline   Reply With Quote

pdxteacher

Not this week
Old 09-18-2015, 05:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

This week when my middle school self-contained students were in their electives the following occurred: one student pulled his pants completely down and started to masturbate before the para could get across the room, one student thew herself on the floor and had a tantrum because she couldn't have her preferred partner, and a third student screamed in the face of another student for no apparent reason. No one wishes they had my job this week, including me.

Thank goodness for the weekend. And wine.

Last edited by pdxteacher; 09-19-2015 at 11:57 AM.. Reason: grammar :(
pdxteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Me too WIBadger
Old 09-18-2015, 07:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I've also taught both and would love to go back to gen ed. I don't think gen ed is "easy" either, but I had so much more respect/was treated as more important, had adequate materials, etc. and that makes all the difference in the world. I had to leave my gen ed position because I was in a truly awful school. When interviewing after that the only gen ed jobs I was offered were in either equally toxic schools or not in my current city. I took a sped job to get into a better school, which I don't think was the wrong decision, but I'd jump at the chance to go back to gen ed. We had the most difficult time filling my teammates' job this year- to the point where we went without for the first month of school. We just weren't even getting applicants. There was a shortage all over the city and many schools still have unfilled sped positions. I always wonder why people do not make that connection. If it's so easy, why is there such a high burnout rate and why is there always a shortage?
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Seaturtle08

Pdxteacher...
Old 09-19-2015, 03:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Yeah, it hard to envy our jobs when they're visibly difficult! In my case it's because we're walking down the hall and: I have a black eye (which thankfully everyone does now know is from a student!), my youngest (can't say littlest!) throws himself against a para then yanks his arm out of her hand and runs screaming into the nearest classroom in search of markers, another child starts screaming (for no apparent reason, I realized later it was because there was a class lined up at "her" bathroom) then throws herself on the floor and starts banging her head...

I think if I had a less visibly difficult class, it would be easier for gen ed people to think my job is easy, because a lot of the paperwork and such is behind the scenes.
Seaturtle08 is offline   Reply With Quote

Newbielibro

no easy jobs
Old 09-19-2015, 02:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I don't think there are any easy jobs in education. I know someone I worked with who was transferred to gen ed from sped ( not requested) and didn't even mind when considering the end of year paperwork.

I remember thinking that being a gen ed classroom teacher would be stressful because of always having to follow prescribed curriculum for so many subjects and lessons.

Last year I was pleasantly surprised when other teachers would say "you have a really stressful job because" since some people think librarians have it easy.

They are all hard and stressful.
Newbielibro is offline   Reply With Quote

Miller

Old 09-19-2015, 08:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

that stinks

my coworkers know my job is rough. When you have 7 students and 3 paras.... Then we talk about differentiating and making lesson plans for 7 different students because not 1 has a thing common with the other. They know different letters, sounds, and numbers. I can't even do the same letter for all students.

Miller is offline   Reply With Quote

ElemSped13

Old 09-20-2015, 05:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Thankfully (or not) we have enough kids with strong behaviors in sped that other teachers have only said they don't know how we do it.
ElemSped13 is offline   Reply With Quote

chummlysoup

Really
Old 09-20-2015, 09:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I truly dislike when gen pop teachers say things like that!!! It's not like a sped teacher's job ends with the final bell rings. Paperwork follow us home too. Get over it.
chummlysoup is offline   Reply With Quote

Munchkins

How about in class support?
Old 09-21-2015, 01:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I love our special Ed teachers, and know they work really hard. But I have in class support for 3 periods, and I do all the planning and teaching, and they come in to support. They love those periods, and maybe that's the balance for the difficult pullout periods? I love working with them, but we don't have time to meet and plan so that we co teach.

As for self contained- I did that for 8 years, and it was really, really challenging! I know the classroom teacher gets stuck with more visible work (conferences, back to school night presentations, just to name a couple) but I love the security of my little classroom. Special Ed can be switched to other buildings, and their responsibilities change from year to year. We all work hard. I appreciate our special Ed team!
Munchkins is online now   Reply With Quote

sandycheeks

Old 09-25-2015, 05:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

HA HA.

How cringe-worthy.
sandycheeks is offline   Reply With Quote