Help

Kindergarten

Escaping Daily 5

>

Zia

Escaping Daily 5
Old 06-11-2016, 07:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

My grade level adopted Daily 5 a couple years ago. I was excited, but it fizzled quickly. I did give it a genuine go.

I can see the value in upper grades, but implementation in K was problematic for me. They aren't independent workers and what they can do independently wasn't terribly valuable.

I just learned Daily 5 isn't research based and there's my out. I can say I am only implementing research based practices. Many of you probably already knew that, but it was news to me!

I feel free!

Zia is offline   Reply With Quote

practice

sorry to hear that
Old 06-11-2016, 09:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I am so sorry to hear that Daily 5 did not work for you. I used it successfully when I taught first grade and can't think of any other way to teach first.
It just goes to show that not one way will work for everyone.
practice is offline   Reply With Quote

onion girl

Thanks for the info
Old 06-11-2016, 10:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I did not know that. I doubt I can choose not to do it but I agree that is would seem the most valuable in the upper grades.
onion girl is online now   Reply With Quote

essence253

Daily 5 in K
Old 06-11-2016, 11:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Im sorry it didn't work for you. I've used daily 5 in my k class for the last 4 yesrs. It is extremely difficult to get quality work from such young learners. To make it work for me, I worked on building stamina longer than the recommended 6 weeks. I also don't have activities in my stations that require a product except work on writing. And even with that station students don't begin to turn in work until the second semester. Last year I even took away student choice of center. I found that some students never went to all the centers. So, last year I assigned the center and they chose the activity within the center. Making this changes really help me make the most of daily 5 for my classroom.
essence253 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 06-11-2016, 04:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I always enjoy getting everyone's perspectives on stuff like this. I've gone back and forth about trying Daily 5 for a few years now, but I also have a routine that I really like and it works well for us. I think with all of the new curriculum we have coming to us next year I will put off all thoughts of daily 5 for a while!

Sbkangas5 is online now   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 06-11-2016, 06:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

The reason I didn't like it is because the games and interactive, manipulative hands-on stuff I planned for the independent rotations wasn't appropriate (for my kids, anyway) to do independently. They went off task/weren't productive. When I asked my grade level how they handled that, the answer was work sheets. I tried it, admittedly halfheartedly, because I bloody HATE worksheets. Then the kids just sort of piddled around, waiting for their time at a teacher manned rotation.

I admit, I did like the Read to Self portion, mostly because the way it provided different definitions of "reading." But doing a daily picture walk got tedious for them and only one of my kids last year could actually read.

Plus, I only have 75 minutes in my literacy block, which really wasn't enough time. So, this last year, I sort of smörgåsbord-ed the parts I liked. Three rotations: guided reading with me, guided writing (which began as letter recognition, sounds, high frequency words, etc.) with my aide, and an independent rotation using Lexia on the iPads. That left me enough time for whole group mini-lessons, etc. This platform does make differentiation very easy to implement; it's basically small group work.

Sbkangas, don't let me steer you away. It could be just me, it could be my kids, it could be my implementation. My biggest issue was the concept of independent work. I don't think they should be independent in K, never mind if they can. Also, a good third of my kids don't speak English fluently, with half of that group coming in with zero English. They NEED to talk and interact and independent work just doesn't do it for them.

ICrazyTeach

Old 06-21-2016, 05:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I found, as a I do with any program or structure, that I use my experience and professional judgement to use the parts that work for me and my students. And that changes year-by-year and even throughout the year based on my kids.

Getting little ones to work independently is HUGE. And I agree, just because they can doesn't mean that they should. In fact, "Just because they can, doesn't mean they should" was my mantra a few years back that my principal got sick of hearing She's finally starting to catch on and back off!

Anyway, I get frustrated with all the programs, instructional models, etc. that try to fit instruction into a set mold. Good literacy instruction is the same as it has always been. Instruction needs to include phonemic awareness, phonics, fluency, vocabulary, and comprehension. There are many different ways to do it.
ICrazyTeach is online now   Reply With Quote

Zia

ICrazyTeach
Old 06-21-2016, 06:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Brava!
white text to lengthen

AddieJ

ECGen23
Old 07-02-2016, 07:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I love your statement, "They NEED to talk and interact and independent work just doesn't do it for them." If teachers can get students to communicate, collaborate, and problem solve to come up with creative solutions as a team {all while staying on task & engaged}, I think they are doing a mighty fine job! Those are the kinds of skills our kiddos need for "real life" and the process is going to generate some HOTS in our young ones (another difficult task to accomplish in K.)
Stay the course!!
AddieJ is offline   Reply With Quote

silly billy

Debbie Diller
Old 07-03-2016, 08:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Have you read Literacy Work Stations by Debbie Diller? This is the first book I read when I started teaching Kinder. It helped me to:
  • implement all of the significant components of Literacy for young children
  • have all the necessary supplies and room set-up
  • group my students so they weren't in a large group, but not working alone either.
  • make the work meaningful in each of the "centers"

During my 3rd year of teaching I read Daily 5 and kind of conjoined the two concepts. It has worked wonders for me! Daily 5 helped me to:
  • build stamina with the kids
  • keep my "centers" focused on just the 5 (read to self, read with someone, work on writing, word work, listen to reading)
  • create a "center" board for daily activities that really works for me
  • manage the materials to where it wasn't time consuming

I pair my students up and they can either work alone or with their partner. I encourage them to work together, especially if I have an ELL student or another student who really needs that interaction. However, I always have a couple of students who really just prefer to work alone most of the time.

This is my favorite time of day because I love seeing how immersed my students get in their work and I love seeing the interactions that take place. It's a quiet chill time for all of us.

Even if Daily 5 isn't research based, the activities you choose for each of the areas can be. Daily 5 really is just a framework.

I highly suggest Literacy Work Stations by Debbie Diller if you haven't already read it. Let me know if you have any questions or want to talk!
Save

silly billy is offline   Reply With Quote