Help

BusyBoard

edTPA

>

Singfree

edTPA
Old 08-08-2018, 06:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'll be doing the edTPA (Teacher Performance Assessment) this year during student teaching. Has anyone had experience with it? Is it required by local universities or the state where you reside?https://scale.stanford.edu/teaching/edtpa

The edTPA has added a whole new level of fear to the already stressful time of student teaching. I'm wondering what experiences others have had with it and would really appreciate any advice on how to make it through it?

Last edited by Singfree; 08-08-2018 at 06:07 PM.. Reason: clarify what the edTPA is
Singfree is offline   Reply With Quote

teacher0729

Not fun but doable!
Old 08-17-2018, 04:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I was required to do my edTPA two years ago when I was student teaching. While in the process of completing it, it was really overwhelming just trying to understand what the questions are really asking and trying to plan the "perfect" lessons that would score well. My tip is to stay way ahead of the deadlines you are given so that you have flexibility. I was the first person in my teacher program to finish mine and getting it over with as early as you can is a huge relief so you can focus on student teaching.

At my school, there was help available weekly through the school of education and I went most weeks to drop in and work so that while I was working, I could ask questions. I also worked on it with some friends to have extra support and so that we could experience it (or complain!!) together. I googled sample edTPAs as well online. I ended up getting a very good score but when I was doing it, I never felt like I was doing it "right." So... just do your best to answer the questions very thoroughly and when I did it, they only needed like 20 minutes of video so they really won't see what actually happens much during the lessons so make sure your plans and rationale are very detailed. Looking back, I wouldn't say it was that bad but it was stressful at the time to just figure out what needed to be done.
teacher0729 is offline   Reply With Quote

Singfree

Thank You!
Old 08-17-2018, 06:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Teacher0729, thanks for responding! I'll definitely google sample edTPAs; thanks for suggesting that. We don't have weekly help available other than at our weekly seminar class, but I doubt there will be time for the prof to work with individual students. It'll probably be a general question and answer. We'll probably need to make appointments during office hours (I know they are limited; she's very busy) or email if we need individualized help.

This year's graduating class all went on and on to us new seniors about it. Many said, the edTPA with the extra assignments for classes and also student teaching on top of it all made it so they could barely keep up. Many of them talked about crying. Less than 12 people made it through the whole program!

I was hoping to focus on the students and doing a good job in my placement, but with all the extra requirements, it has me worried I'll be spending so much time on office tasks (like editing, uploading, and doing detailed reports) rather than having adequate time to properly adapt and attend to the specific needs of the students and my mentor. I also have family obligations that need to be factored into my schedule.

My mentor teacher has never had a ST, and I'm not sure if she knows about the edTPA or how things have changed since she student taught. I'm hoping the university gave her a heads up! I'm going to do like you suggested and try to get it done ahead of the deadlines and hope everything falls into place if I get ahead of it!

hand

Old 08-17-2018, 07:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

My student teacher needed to do this three years ago. As a mentor teacher, I was invited to a meeting at her school to learn about it and talk to her supervisor so that I knew how to help her. She also got it done early in her student teaching. She did fine. Good luck!
hand is online now   Reply With Quote

Singfree

Old 08-17-2018, 09:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Hand, I'm glad to hear that your ST did fine with it. I'll be spending time with my mentor soon, so I'll ask if the university went over the edTPA. It hasn't been explained to us yet in detail, so I'll understand more once college classes start. Thanks!