Help

BusyBoard

Moving 2nd to 7th

>

Miller

Moving 2nd to 7th
Old 04-18-2019, 02:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm going from 2nd to 7th and 8th resource....I did the same job 8 years ago. However, having been lower elem for such a long time I need refreshers on what I may need for this age group.

I'll be ELA (guidebooks curriculum) and math (eureka curriculum).

Does math use any manipulatives?

What are some good books and novels for this age group? I need things on the 5th grade-8th grade level.

Miller is offline   Reply With Quote

teacherwriter

Old 04-18-2019, 02:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Wow, that's a huge leap! I can't address anything regarding curriculum, as I don't teach either of those subjects, but this caught my eye:

Quote:
What are some good books and novels for this age group? I need things on the 5th grade-8th grade level.
Are you talking about classroom library or curriculum? Re clasroom library, based on my experience this year, you won't need much. Students don't read anymore. I'm shocked at how many middle-schoolers openly say they don't read books and/or brag about how long it's been since they read one, even if it was assigned for schoolwork.
teacherwriter is offline   Reply With Quote

SDT

Old 04-18-2019, 04:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

The students at my middle school actually read a lot. Our librarians are fantastic! They do a lot of things to keep our kids engaged. There are always new and interesting books being added to our library. We now have an online component, and they make sure the kids can access our public library online. Theyíve added a maker space to draw the kids into the library. They also do a lot of AR challenges. Another thing that I think really helps is that most of our English teachers read out loud to our kids for 10 or 15 minutes a day.

I know that a lot of the dystopian novels are still popular with our kids. I see Harry Potter a lot. The wimpy kid series is still popular. My kids read way below level, so Iím not always up-to-date on the most popular titles.

Math centers are very much emphasized at my school. They definitely do a lot with manipulatives when introducing new concepts. I know they enjoy using online manipulatives on the smartboard and on their chrome books and iPads. Hereís one source Iím familiar with:

http://nlvm.usu.edu/en/nav/vlibrary.html
SDT is offline   Reply With Quote

Miller

Old 04-18-2019, 10:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I meant classroom library.

Thanks for the link.
Miller is offline   Reply With Quote