Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Healthy snacks

>

teacherwriter

Healthy snacks
Old 04-21-2019, 04:24 AM

DD23 is a new RN working the night shift in a hospital. She's looking for healthy snacks that she can take to work. She's lactose intolerant, so cheese and yogurt are out. (She doesn't want to have to take lactose pills while at work.) She also doesn't have any space to store anything at work, so she has to carry stuff back and forth. We're going to go check out Kind bars and will get a silicone microwave popcorn popper too. Got any other ideas?

teacherwriter is offline   Reply With Quote

puzzle1mom

Old 04-21-2019, 04:48 AM

I love Kind bars! Almonds are also a healthy thing to eat for a snack. If you have a Trader Joe's, they have all kinds of yummy varieties!
puzzle1mom is offline   Reply With Quote

FLteachESE

Old 04-21-2019, 04:54 AM

Kraft Cheese is lactose free.
I love cheese and sweet gerkins for snacks
or cheese and grapes.

Just a suggestion if she'd like to try it.
FLteachESE is offline   Reply With Quote

SDT

Old 04-21-2019, 05:21 AM

I like peanut butter and apple slices or pretzels. I also like carrot sticks and cucumber slices with hummus. Trail mix can be good, but make your own so you can keep it healthy.
SDT is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 04-21-2019, 05:44 AM

If she eats meat, she can make her own beef jerky (3834747457 x cheaper than store bought) or smoke bacon. We do both for backpacking trips; it keeps well and packs a protein punch. The high salt content may be an issue for her--we need it hiking in the desert. Just thought I'd throw that out there!

Zia is offline   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

gucamole
Old 04-21-2019, 06:26 AM

Trader Joe's makes 100 calorie guacomole pouches. She can pack some veggies to go with it if she wants.
NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

juliet4

Healthy snack
Old 04-21-2019, 09:32 AM

Hummus and carrot sticks, hard boiled egg, rolled up turkey and lettuce wrap, Trader Joes gluten free bars, clementine, grapes, berries, sweet potato chips and salsa, banana, cereal with almond milk, cucumber slices and hummus, overnight oats with whatever you like.
juliet4 is offline   Reply With Quote

SusanTeach

snack
Old 04-21-2019, 10:14 AM

I love the "heart healthy" snack mixes that Sams sells - made by Nature's Garden. They come in individual pouches and she can throw one in her back pocket or locker. I eat them after school for a quick "refuel" since we eat lunch so early. They have nuts and dried fruit in them.

This is the link: https://www.samsclub.com/sams/ng-tra...p_product_1_16
SusanTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

daffodils

snacks
Old 04-21-2019, 10:41 AM

I love Lara Bars--no refined sugar. Most have no added sugar as the sweetness comes from dates. I like the lemon ones a lot, but also enjoy the blueberry ones, peanut butter ones and for a little treat, the chocolate chip peanut butter ones. Just a few simple, real ingredients.

Mini pb containers with some crackers. 100 calorie almond packs--or even cheaper, make your own.

I always like bringing an apple or clementine with me. Easy to eat on the go. Pack of carrots and some hummus. The "That's It' line of fruit bars is yummy. Not the cheapest, but a good way to get in some produce. They are 100% fruit in a compact bar. I buy them on Amazon. https://smile.amazon.com/s?k=That%27...f=nb_sb_noss_2
daffodils is offline   Reply With Quote

twin2

Old 04-21-2019, 01:12 PM

I love to take apple slices to eat for a snack. They can be rinsed in lemon water or lightly salted water to keep them from browning. I'm not sure which types, but some types of apples do not brown quickly. I believe Granny Smith apples are one that doesn't brown right away if not rinsed in lemon water or salt water, but I believe there is another type that is even better in that way. Grapes are another favorite of mine.

twin2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 04-21-2019, 03:04 PM

I recently discovered these Haberno BBQ Almonds from Blue Diamond. They're the same amount of calories as the plain ones, but far more interesting/tasty.
Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Cheese

Cheese

Snacks
Old 04-21-2019, 03:36 PM

Cheddar cheese is naturally lactose free! Im lactose intolerant and that was the best news I learned several years ago!!

jeffie

Old 04-21-2019, 05:59 PM

I love natural peanut butter(straight peanuts, no sugar or salt) and celery. She could use as dip or spread it with another stick on top and wrap in plastic wrap.
jeffie is offline   Reply With Quote

teacherwriter

Thank you!
Old 04-22-2019, 02:25 AM

Thanks for all your ideas! DD and I went to the grocery yesterday and assembled a bunch of items for her to use for work snacks/meals. As challenging as it is to eat properly as a teacher, it's much harder as a nurse. She's never guaranteed a 30-minute break due to patient needs and admissions. She's been struggling with food anyway, but what really prompted the focus was the Wing Stop order at 3 a.m. Saturday. And everything gets complicated swinging from a night schedule to a day schedule.

She wasn't "feeling" peanut butter yesterday, but we did get individual-pack cups of hummus and guacamole, which she can pair with crackers and veggies. We also got some small packs of low-sodium popcorn, several varieties of Kind bars, her favorite Bel Vita bites (which have been dubbed dog biscuits by her co-workers!), and some Melissa's pumpkin seed Clean Snax, which DD says are really good. We have baby carrots and red grapes. I'm making hard-cooked eggs now so we can assemble egg salad. I usually keep some cookies and muffins in the freezer. She also bought several kinds of non-dairy yogurt to see if any of those are good. So she has plenty to choose from for tonight, and we'll see what works and what doesn't.
teacherwriter is offline   Reply With Quote