I made a judgement error and am worried about admin reactions - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

BusyBoard

I made a judgement error and am worried about admin reactions

>

hikinghiker

I made a judgement error and am worried about admin reactions
Old 04-24-2019, 07:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

In winter we were going over test scores and talking about who was going to continue in RTI and who needed to be added or removed. (I teach kindergarten). I had one girl who was low, but parents were very involved and very worried about the RTI paperwork and pushed back a fair amount. She also ended up being enrolled in RBG3 (A program that requires small group services to students falling behind) after she scored in the 30th percentile in winter. However, when I went to go write her second RTI plans, I saw that she was meeting all grade level benchmarks in reading and I couldnít write a plan since she had no goals to meet since she was meeting the end of year benchmarks.

I told admin that I was exiting her out of math RTI since she had shown so much progress in math and met all her RTI goals. Our curriculum instructor pushed back a bit but let me exit her from math RTI. For reading though she strongly discouraged me exiting her. I told her that I couldnít write plans because she was meeting end of the year benchmark, but the curriculum instructor told me to find other test data to support the RTI plan like MAPS, even though thatís not typical. I decided to not do that, and I just didnít write her RTI plans. I told parents I was not continuing the RTI process and instead would just be watching her from Winter to Spring. This was verbal and was mentioned as part of her RBG3 meeting.

Well, we took our final spring testing scores and she did pretty good in reading. She scored above the 40th percentile, so she no longer meets RBG3 criteria and will be exited if her next two scores show the same. However, she TANKED in math. Iím talking about scoring less than 20th percentile on MAPS.

I have my meeting for RTI coming up next week and they asked us to fill out a spreadsheet before the meeting. She listed that girls name in both math and reading, even though I thought I had been clear about not continuing math RTI. Reading was more vague, but now Iím worried adminís going to be angry at me for not continuing with RTI, especially considering her math MAP scores.

Here are my two possible solutions/defenses:

1. I write the RTI plans now and just act as if the plans were written the entire time. Student was getting the same services as an RTI student, including 30 minutes a day of interventions and assessments every other week. The problem with this is that I communicated with her parents verbally and told mom that I would just be watching her this semester, not RTIing her. The conversation was vague though, and awhile back.

2. I go to the meeting and tell them that it was a rookie first year mistake not listening to the curriculum instructor and deciding to not continue with RTI despite being told I should continue with the RTI Process. Student's reading scores are fine, albeit low. Math scores surprised me.

The problem with number 2 is that I had another student who I missed the deadline for referring to SPED and told admin that we would have to wait until first grade. That was due to the school psych scheduling our meeting with mom after the deadline, which I didn't think to check. That date was too late though. I don't want to go to a meeting and say my other RTI student will also have to wait until first grade. The problem with number 1 is that it feels kinda shady, even though she was receiving RTI services the entire semester.

hikinghiker is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 04-24-2019, 08:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Don't be shady. Own up. Reflect, learn, grow. As a first year teacher, you should be given some slack.

And, this kid sounds like a bubble kid, which can go either way. It sounds like she's making significant progress, which an LD kid wouldn't. We don't refer Kinders at my school unless it is SEVERE. They need to be two years behind to even be considered for an evaluation and most Ks aren't and yours sure doesn't sound like she is. We just Tier II them and let time tell the story.

Best luck and don't stress too much.
Zia is offline   Reply With Quote

SDT

Old 04-25-2019, 02:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Quote:
Student was getting the same services as an RTI student, including 30 minutes a day of interventions and assessments every other week.
What did this data show? How do her scores on those assessments compare with her MAP scores? If there is a discrepancy, dig into that a bit more and address it during your meeting. In fact, if there was a big discrepancy, I would repeat the MAP assessment to see if maybe she was just having an off day or something.

I agree w/ Zia about owning up. I know it seems like a huge deal to you, but that's mostly because you haven't been teaching long enough to realize that we all make mistakes. This is year 29 for you, and trust me when I tell you that we've all been there, done that. You'll be fine.
SDT is online now   Reply With Quote

Song of Joy

Old 04-25-2019, 07:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

If allowed, repeating the MAP testing could be interesting.

I had to do that one year with the whole class and 1/3 went up significantly the second time they took the test, 1/3 went down significantly the second time, and 1/3 stayed about the same. MAP testing can be all over the board and a lot of it depends on how they did the time before because that sets their entry point for the next time.

She could score much differently the second time.
Song of Joy is offline   Reply With Quote

Izzy23

Old 04-28-2019, 01:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Definitely be honest. A mistake is understandable and forgivable. Lying about or covering something up is not forgivable and could cost you.

And I hate MAPS. The scores are unpredictable, they don't match what happens in the classroom, and most of my kids (4th grade) could not care less about the test. I don't think it's an accurate reflection of everything that happened in a school year. I agree with the suggestion to look at other data, like the intervention groups, to see how she fared there. That would help give a more complete picture.

Izzy23 is offline   Reply With Quote

UVAgrl928

Old 04-28-2019, 06:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I didnít know you could revive the MAPs test! That might be something I need to look into- my kids bombed the Spring, after making huge gains in the Winter.

Keep in mind- itís one test, one day.
UVAgrl928 is offline   Reply With Quote