Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Had to chop off my hair

>

NoElephants

Had to chop off my hair
Old 04-28-2019, 11:25 AM

On Friday I had long, thick hair. I decided I needed a cut so I went to a chain salon.

Long story short, the woman absolutely butchered my hair and it looked just awful. Even my husband said it looked weird. So I ended up going to another stylist to correct it. She had no choice but to cut shorter in places to fix the mess.

It’s now a really short angled bob. Much better than what it was and would look cute on other people, but doesn’t suit me. I know it’s just hair and it will grow back, but I really hate the way I look.

NoElephants is online now   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 04-28-2019, 11:30 AM

Iím so sorry. A bad hair cut is really disheartening. I hope it grows back quickly.
GreyhoundGirl is online now   Reply With Quote

arsabl

Hair
Old 04-28-2019, 11:56 AM

What an awful experience! I hope you didnít have to pay for the cut!
arsabl is offline   Reply With Quote

choppie70

Old 04-28-2019, 12:08 PM

I was growing out my hair for a longer angled bob for about 2 years. I went and showed a pic of exactly what I wanted.

The stylist couldn't get the angle right. She never said a word to me. While my head was still down she walked away and another stylist came back. I looked up and saw that she had cut about 3 inches off the length of my hair . She had not even angled it yet!
choppie70 is offline   Reply With Quote

Renea

Yikes!
Old 04-28-2019, 12:09 PM

Hair is really important and it takes courage to make a change. You were pretty brave to go for a short hair cut, I'm sorry it didn't work out. Chances are you'll get used to the new style and learn how to make it your own.

If I want to try a new style I've learned to ask friends who styles their hair and make an appointment with them. I even take pictures showing exactly the style I want. THEN I take pictures of what I don't want my hair to look like. I've had so many bad hair cuts I know I need to be explicit. Even then things can go very wrong.

I completely understand your disappointment.

Renea is online now   Reply With Quote

BioAdoptMom3

Old 04-28-2019, 12:14 PM

I am sorry for your experience! I have been there and I know the frustration. Hopefully it will grow back quickly!

Nancy
BioAdoptMom3 is offline   Reply With Quote

LuBelle

Eeek!
Old 04-28-2019, 12:21 PM

Your post came at a good time for me. I also have long hair. I've loved the convenience of being able to just pull it up or back or wear it a variety of ways. BUT after spending 4 months on the desert this winter I look like a hag. I'm home now and have a Tues hair appointment. I am seriously thinking about going short. Now I'm thinking twice. I need to be prepared! Sorry about your hair catastrophe. It takes a long time to grow back, but at least you don't look like a hag. That's me right now.
LuBelle is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 04-28-2019, 12:25 PM

Hugs hugs hugs. A bad haircutóand then only some improvement trying to fix itóis a personal catastrophe, a ding to the soul. Sending lots of hugs.
amiga13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 04-28-2019, 12:28 PM

So sorry this happened to you! I used to go to Great Clips all of the time because my hair cut is super uncomplicated (shoulder length, long layers). Then one time, I got a new person who couldn't figure it out. She was snipping away at the back of my head for what seemed like forever and then had to call someone over to look at it. I had "layers" in the back that were literally up to the top of my ear! Thankfully the other person was able to do the front correctly and because my hair is so fine, it wasn't immediately obvious.

After that though, I decided never to go back to a place like that again. I found a salon where I see the same person every time and she gives me a teacher discount, so it's only about $25 more than Great Clips. I was so traumatized after the bad cut that I didn't go to get my hair cut at all for almost a year! I also only get my hair cut about 4x per year, so it's not like it's a huge expense. It's definitely worth it for something you have to "wear" every day!
Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote

Izzy23

Old 04-28-2019, 12:53 PM

I got a bad haircut over Winter Break. My usual stylist was in a giggly mood (?) and she decided to cut my hair dry. I don't know why. Well, she cut and cut while she talked and talked to me. In the end, it looked AWFUL. I thanked my lucky stars that we were on break and I didn't have to go back to work right away. I hid in my house for a few days.

Having a bad hair cut can really affect how you feel about yourself. I'm sorry it happened to you! I hope your hair grows out fast.

Izzy23 is offline   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

Hope it grows in quickly...
Old 04-28-2019, 01:24 PM

A bad haircut is a bad experience for sure So sorry it happened to you.

I had a bad experience when I was in college. I had long, coarse, curly hair and decided to go shorter. My friends had used an expensive salon in NYC called Crimpers My mom was on board with paying for it. The woman cutting my hair kept audibly sighing, and layered the cut and kept it long, not what I told her I wanted at all. I still had to work on straightening my hair after washing, something I wanted to avoid. It took a couple of years till I found a place who could cut my difficult hair in a flattering style.

So sorry.
NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

NoElephants

Old 04-28-2019, 01:27 PM

1. What I asked for
2. Part of what I got...the whole thing looked like a triangle with randomly chopped pieces on both sides that didn’t match
3. Length it is now in order to fix it

It’s very unflattering to my face.
Attachment

Sign in to view attachment. Not a member? Sign Up FREE

Last edited by NoElephants; 04-28-2019 at 01:44 PM..
NoElephants is online now   Reply With Quote

EllaKate

Old 04-28-2019, 01:28 PM

Yikes! I'm so sorry that happened to you! Hopefully it will grow fast to a length that will be more suitable.

Great Clips - never again! Seems like we all have a bad hair story.
EllaKate is offline   Reply With Quote

annie_g

Old 04-28-2019, 03:08 PM

I just got about 4 inches cut off of mine. The picture of what you wanted was similar to the one I showed my stylist. I pretty much got that but a little shorter, a little below chin length. I do like it but when it grows out a little it will be more what I was trying to do. My stylist cuts into the ends randomly to create that choppy look without obvious layers. Maybe yours will be more what you wanted when it grows a little. I always go to the same person. Iíd be afraid to just go to a random stylist!
annie_g is offline   Reply With Quote

SDT

Old 04-28-2019, 03:49 PM

Iím sorry that happened to you! I just got finished growing out a really bad cut myself. A friend suggested taking a multivitamin every day. Her doctor told her it would make her hair grow faster. It really did work! My new stylist couldnít get over how quickly my hair has been growing. Just something you might want to try.
SDT is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 04-28-2019, 05:13 PM

I had that situation once (well, sort of -- I cut my hair way too short and had to get it fixed by getting it cut way too short for my face). I'm sorry that's happened to you. The cut you wanted is really cute! I hope it grows quickly.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Hair
Old 04-28-2019, 05:32 PM

Oh, I am so sorry. Hair is so important. And yes, it will grow...and it grows faster in summer
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

twin2

Old 04-29-2019, 03:35 AM

In my experience a bad hair cut starts to feel better within a few weeks of it growing and me figuring out how to style it my way each morning. Maybe it's just me getting used to the hair cut. I understand some styles are unflattering on some people. I feel that way about most short hair cuts on me. Vitamins were suggested. I also suggest taking a biotin supplement. Hopefully your hair will grow quickly and you will be able to work with a stylist you trust to get the style you wanted or at least one that makes you feel beautiful.
twin2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Renea

Old 04-29-2019, 07:27 AM

Whoa! She really did chop off your hair!

My last cut with my former stylist looked like that. Large chunks of hair randomly whacked straight off with blobs of color scattered here and there. I hated to go to church and sit with others staring at the back of my hair. (I learned to pray myself beyond my ego. )

I took a picture of my hair and the chopped off places and blobs of color and told my new stylist I never want my hair to look like this again! Ever. She called it "tiger stripes" and a sign of highlights applied incorrectly. My former stylist would tell me the only remedy was to color it again. What? Breaking up with a stylist of 25 years was hard to do but my hair was eventually bad enough I never went back. It took two months to get an appointment with my new stylist and five months to grow out most of the color. It costs me almost three times more for color and cuts but the color is even.y applied and doesn't damage my hair. It takes my new gal a good 45 minutes to cut my hair, first wet then dry, but it's perfect. I now make appointments two months ahead of time, knowing if I cancel I won't easily get another one. She's worth the inconvenience.

If you like your new stylist make a future appointment in advance with her so she can trim it into the style you wanted.
I will take months but eventually, you'll get the hair you want.

You're before hair looks nothing like the style you wanted. It's too bad we can't at least get our money back when the outcome is so far off the mark. I'm tempted to want to charge them for damages and pain and suffering.

*side note:
I reminded myself of friends who had no hair due to cancer treatment and that thought helped me. At least I had hair.
Renea is online now   Reply With Quote