The VENT

Been struggling

>

taopon1

Been struggling
Old 05-03-2019, 05:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

HI I am new here.

I' am a teacher and recently, the school decided not to renew my contract.

The principal said that teaching skill wise I am good ( lesson preparation, materials etc ) however she feels that I am not the right fit and I lack in building relationships with parents and students. They also decided to put a weight on a caregivers comment that I always look angry ( even though I am not ). She said that teaching skills can be taught but not relationships.

I don't know but I feel so angry, confused and depressed. I am depressed since I tried to defend myself but they seem to fall on deaf ears.

Here are the pointers that they gave

I always look angry - I said that I am not an angry person, I just look serious since I always try to do my best . I have not said any irresponsible or mean words to my children. The principal and the teacher said : how come I always watch over children when they play . I said I want to keep my eyes on them to ensure their safety and well being.

Poor relationship with my kids: I don't know where this came from. as I've said I am responsible with my words and actions. IF they give me a hug I would hug back and sometimes I would play with them in the classroom or in the playground. I try to talk to them about their snacks and dogs etc ,

Poor relationships with the parents: I also don't know why. If I see parents I make a point to say hello to them. I also talk to them if there are any problems and I successfully resolve them without any issue

There was also an incident where I was blamed for something that I am not solely responsible. It involves a letter that was not given to a guardian. My partner decided to point a finger on me since I was the one who likes to tidy up the shelf. I was not able to defend myself since I was already reprimanded and I wanted to keep the peace inside the classroom . Now I realized I should have said something but I guess it is now too late

I just don't know I feel so confused and angry but at the same time, I want to try again. I have nothing against the company. it is a business decision I just don't know how to pick myself up again .

taopon1 is offline   Reply With Quote

NewCAteacher

Just remember
Old 05-03-2019, 07:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

This will not be the end of your career. I’ve never met a teacher who didn’t refer to their nonrenewal as “one of the best things” that ever happened to them.

Your admin sounds like an idiot. For all we know, she could have a friend she wants to hire and since you are new, you’re the first one to go. Favoritism runs rampant in this field. I hate the “relationships” excuse. Admin will generally throw this term around when they have no real reason to nonrenew you, but for whatever reason they just don’t particularly like you, or they need a scapegoat.

I wasn’t nonrenewed but my P last year moved mountains to get me out of “his” school. He also said I “didn’t have relationships” with my students. That was a total pile of horse manure and fortunately my mentor saw right through it. Mentor made sure our superintendent knew how false this was.

I was moved to a new school this year. I’ve received overwhelmingly positive feedback from new admin, other teachers, my students, and parents. I’ve specifically received good feedback on my ABILITIES TO BUILD RELATIONSHIPS. So clearly my “inability to build relationships” was just a bull#### excuse from an admin who didn’t like me from DAY ONE. For reasons entirely unknown.

This isn’t the end of your story. You will find a position in which you are valued.
NewCAteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

whiteturtle

Old 05-03-2019, 08:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I agree with the previous poster who said this is not the end of your story. It sounds like you may not be a good fit where you are, but it also seems that they may be the problem. If we DIDN'T look after students at all times (i.e. during play) we would be in trouble at my school. You should not be in a position where you don't know why they are saying the things they are saying. It's their job to work with you so you do understand what they mean and why. You should have been given a chance to resolve (or at least to understand) their point of view. It sounds to me like they let you down there.

There are loads of examples of famous people in history who "failed" and went on to do amazing things. Take this experience and let it teach you something. Go on and be more amazing someplace new.
whiteturtle is online now   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 05-03-2019, 09:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I had a P who threatened to non-renew me because she said I didn't fit in with her and the staff. My team and I got along amazingly, but we tended to keep to ourselves because it was a very toxic environment where anything you said would be used against you. I was also only 24 at the time and not very skilled in "playing the game" and being fake friendly with admin and others. I thought I'd be okay keeping my head down and doing a good job.

I later learned that I'd highly offended P's "favorite." She was a technology/library teacher and my class had specials first thing in the morning, followed by our reading block when I picked them up. Every time they had her class, she took them to the library approximately one minute before the special time was up and then wanted me to wait the 20-25 minutes it took for them to check out books with the para who worked in the library. I put up with it for awhile, and then asked if she could work on having them be done on time because on those days we were missing up to 25 minutes of reading instruction. Little did I know that one comment led to my downfall! This woman became the AP of the school the next year .

I'm also a reserved person and of course being in this environment made things worse. I was also accused of "looking too serious" and not taking time to talk with P and other staff. P even went as far to tell me I was a "dark cloud" over the staff (even though 95% were miserable, they were apparently just better at hiding it) and that although my instruction was among the best in the building, I just didn't fit in. I saw the writing on the wall and resigned before she officially non-renewed me so I wouldn't have to put it on applications.

Like the pp said, in hindsight it was the best thing that could have happened to me. Even though I hated the P, I really loved my team and students and likely would have chosen to stay had she not pushed me out. Things continued to get worse and two years later, P was fired mid-year and lost her license due to illegal activities. Now, the entire district is being taken over by the state and turned into charters for poor test scores. I'm incredibly fortunate that I got out and am well established in another district.

I've been at my current school for 6 years now with no issues. I've been praised here for being "calm and collected"- the same demeanor that my previous P hated.

I would recommend that you fake it as best as possible with this admin. Thank them for the feedback and say that you've spent time considering it and that it will help you be more successful in your next environment. Ask for a letter of recommendation highlighting all of the instructional strengths they see in you. Ask that since the non-renewal is not due to any issues with your actual teaching, can you leave it off future job applications (not check the box that says you've been non-renewed or resigned in lieu of non-renewal?) When references call and ask if they'd hire you back, is there anything you can do to show them that answer should be "yes?" I'd go out of your way to be smiley and friendly for the rest of the school year. It'll be difficult, but it shouldn't be that much longer.
Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Emily26

Emily26

Do some self-reflection...
Old 05-04-2019, 01:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

And then let it go.

Whenever I get criticism like that, that's so personal and hurtful, I try to think about it with an open mind. Is there a kernel of truth there? Is this an area I can improve on? Have colleagues that you're close to noticed the same thing about you? If not, you really just have to let it go. It's likely some parent or teacher got their panties in a wad over some perceived slight and went running to complain to your P. Not every school is like that. In the right environment, I'm sure you will flourish. Find a way to leave on good terms so you can up your chances of getting your next job.

Don'tPayAtte

Don'tPayAtte

Old 05-04-2019, 03:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Stop being upset. Alright, alright! Be upset, then move on. Be upset, curse a little, then move on. Think about it: even if you could make an argument, would you really want to work under this administration after they use non legitimate excuses to let go of you. Perhaps, you are the one getting the good deal here. I know it doesn't sound like it. But, it is always better sooner than later. There is no telling what they would have made up to get rid of you in the middle of the year in a few years.

Sh!t happens!

I have been accused of not smiling enough. Yup that's right. Finally, I did it. I smiled the whole entire time and then the complaint about being creepy.

Building relationship, more sh!t words administration loves to throw out there to blame you for discipline problems. "students are not behaving because they don't like you" B.S. Students rebel when a teacher puts a foot down and don't let them do whatever they want.

Really a disservice to always blame teacher this way. Student are still growing. They should be the ones to adjust to different teachers, different teaching styles, different types of relationships and boundaries. One day, all of this be friends with your students will blow up in their faces like teachers running away with their students. There should always be a line between.

Like I said, cry, scream, get mad, call a friend but move on. I didn't after it happened to me, I got sick and depressed! Good luck!

taopon1

Old 05-04-2019, 05:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Thanks for the advice you have given me. Right now ( In the school environment ) I am trying my best to be professional and positive about it. I don't know if they see through it but I am careful with the things that I say and do. If they want anything, I give to them and I am focused with my work and what I am doing. Because keeping it professional is the BEST option that I have right now... I cannot be a debbie downer .... I just have to be professional and show a good attitude towards them and It's a struggle since upon entering I just want to go home ..... but I have to suck it up and dig deep to do the things that I need to do
taopon1 is offline   Reply With Quote