Help

BusyBoard

Just Babysitting

>

70Primrose

Just Babysitting
Old 05-14-2019, 04:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

How do you keep your class or classes working and tolerable in these last weeks of school? The kids at our school seem to just not care. I feel because there are so many end of school fun things like, field trips, field day, talent show , concerts by band, orchestra and choir, awards assembly, party planning in specials classes, ABC count down in primary...the list goes on. They think it is just fun time. I am not having fun!!! Why does the district drag out the year like this. We should have stopped 2 weeks ago. The kids stopped, now we are just day care. I love teaching, but have always hated babysitting.

70Primrose is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 05-14-2019, 05:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

My class is preparing for a major presentation and we are still doing math. Had a test on Friday. I work mine up to the last day.

Now, I have no real clear idea about next week. We have 4 days. One is a regular early dismissal, and then another half day past that. I have plans, but not in any logical order. I like order. I like not craziness!
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

Song of Joy

Old 05-14-2019, 05:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I try to add in more hands on projects like dioramas, science experiments, and making a poster for a passion project. Then I mix in a few more tests than usual.

Keeping their attention for any mini-lessons is getting harder. This year's class is pretty stirred up already and there are only 20 days left.

I feel your pain.
Song of Joy is offline   Reply With Quote

ZipLine

Old 05-14-2019, 05:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I always had an end of the year project and presentations up to the next to last week. Kept them focused after state testing. The partial last week of school, we added school activities like talent show and teacher vs student basketball to keep them occupied, along with clean up the classroom/book collection and one for an end of year BBQ and year book/T-shirt signing. Our VP took active kids to help him move textbooks and items from classrooms to storage.
ZipLine is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Babysitting
Old 05-14-2019, 06:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I usually bought into the madness! We continued doing math because it was the only way to finish the book, but I would add in a special project or community building games, extra free time if they behaved.

This allowed me time to start cleaning the room around them. I also”let” them help me get ready for next year. We would sort all the books, and I had over a thousand leveled books.

Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

MissAgnes

We're still going.
Old 05-14-2019, 08:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I'm continuing with math, haven't stopped. We're also doing a novel study this week in Language ARts. Still working on explorers in social studies, and animal adaptations in science. If I don't they'll be too crazy to deal with. Grades aren't due until Monday, so I'm still teaching.
MissAgnes is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 05-14-2019, 08:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I may be the odd man out, but I stick to our same routine up until basically the last day. I may throw in a fun project here or there but I find keeping things routine (as much as outside forces allow) keeps the chaos under control.
GreyhoundGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

70Primrose

Agree
Old 05-14-2019, 04:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I am like Greyhound girl, but with everything going haywire outside of the class and wacky things messing up the schedule like talent shows it is so hard! I am a routine girl. I like schedules! Ugh this is so hard for me. This year seems extra long and extra hard!

sevenplus

Old 05-14-2019, 05:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

If you stopped 2 weeks ago then the chaos would have started 2 weeks sooner.

There's no way around end-of-year excitement and events.

I keep some thing routine, relax about other things, and add some special stuff.
sevenplus is offline   Reply With Quote

dutchgirl

Old 05-14-2019, 07:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I'm with Greyhound Girl. I try to keep the same routine. But my routine is broken due to circumstances beyond my control. Other departments . . . grade levels planning special events/activities. I'm middle school elective, so have little say.
Whatever. 12 more days. Kids are already mentally done and not even trying to work on the final project. I'm at the point of not caring enough to fight it. "Let it go, let it go . . "

dutchgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 05-14-2019, 07:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I have gotten way less "fun" over the years! I've cut back further and further on the fun/special activities we do. The last day and a half (last day is a half day) is full of school wide assemblies and celebration things, but up to that point I'm honestly thinking that I'm just going to keep the exact same routine and continue with regular lessons. I might incorporate things like word bingo or something the last "regular" day- I'm thinking maybe like half of the time on regular stuff, and half of the time on some sort of academic game. But I'll have to see how my kids do for the rest of this week first.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tiamat

Old 05-15-2019, 12:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

We finish our last literacy and maths unit on the morning of the last day of school (the afternoon is water play). Even though reports are done and so on, school keeps on keeping on until the last minute (almost).
Tiamat is online now   Reply With Quote

tampamom

Me too!
Old 05-15-2019, 12:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Glad our school puts all those shananigans the last week...still teaching, giving HW, quiz today, test on Friday. The moment you let up on routines, they know it.
tampamom is offline   Reply With Quote

70Primrose

Old 05-15-2019, 05:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

We teachers still have math to teach until the day before the last day! We are trying to fit in all our science too! It is so hard to keep the routine in the class when in the halls and specials classes it is party time!