Help

The VENT

Zero Growth???

>

Lady Teacher

Zero Growth???
Old 05-26-2019, 01:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm just at a loss. He was one of my lowest all year. He doesn't have an IEP. I have been working with this student all year. Aside from one intervention of summer school years ago, his parents aren't very interested in intervention. According to my data he has made zero growth and progress. In fact, he scored lower on the spring assessments than he did in the fall. He also made no growth from last spring to this spring. UGH!

Lady Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

TAOEP

Old 05-26-2019, 02:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Any chance he simply did not try on the spring assessment? Sick that day?

Did you see signs of growth during the year?

And yes, ugh!
TAOEP is online now   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

It's one test...
Old 05-26-2019, 03:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Remember that it's one test. The test may show 0 growth or negative growth, but really, I doubt that. If it's true, then it's not something you did, in my opinion. I think that even with the worst teachers, the majority of kids will at least make some growth just from osmosis.

I also think the fact the parents aren't interested in intervention puts more "blame" on them than on you.

Even if the test showed 0 growth, I'm sure you saw growth in your own way in the classroom. Look at his chapter tests in math. Do you have pre-tests too? Or proof he couldn't do the things on the post test before the post-test was given? That shows growth. Any sight word data or reading level data? Have you seen improvements in other areas besides behavior? Such as neatness, more participating in class, more self control, nicer to his peers, more cooperative, developing leadership skills, etc.?
Teacherbee_4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Cat woman

Old 05-27-2019, 05:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Do you have any data from throughout the year to prove there was growth or were you not seeing any growth despite your efforts?
Cat woman is offline   Reply With Quote

NewCAteacher

Testing
Old 05-27-2019, 09:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Whatís the process for pushing kids through to SPED testing? This absolutely sounds like a case where the kid needs to be tested. See if you can chat about it with his teacher for next year. If/when that teacher starts getting pushback against testing, there will be a whole yearís worth of data to show no improvement.

Donít beat yourself up! I canít tell from your post, but sounds like this kiddo really might have a LD. I teach SPED and every year, I have 1 or 2 kids who just canít make growth, at least not at that point in time. It DOES happen and just keep doing your best. Sounds like you already are!

NewCAteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Kinderkr4zy

Old 05-27-2019, 07:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I agree with NewCateacher-this is a data that should propell him into testing.

I run 6-10 week intervention groups afterschool and I have student now and then who make zero growth. These kids get a an SST and about 12 weeks later when they have still made little to zero growth they get tested.

Last year I had a kid who made zero growth and when tested his auditory processing was at the 1st percentile. I am glad that I used the data to get him help.
Kinderkr4zy is online now   Reply With Quote

Lady Teacher

Update
Old 05-28-2019, 04:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

So this student is Muslim. His father is very devout and believes that women are inferior to men. He refuses to shake my hand and he is argues with me that his son is just fine. He literally told me that I am "just a woman." My data backs up that there is no growth but Dad won't believe it. I spoke to my Principal today. She said to begin an achievement team process on him, even though there are just a few more weeks of school left. I will add the data in from this year to show no growth and the lack of progress. We are planning to give him a male teacher next year in the hopes that Dad will be more receptive to a man than he has been to female teachers. In the mean time, 25% of my evaluation is based on student growth and he is one of my bottom kids so his data is especially important, but we can only do so much and I have many interventions documented that I have tried this year.
Lady Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

TAOEP

Old 05-28-2019, 06:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

When were the end of year tests given? If it was during Ramadan, May 5 to June 4 this year, fasting and/or late nights and early mornings may gave affected scores
TAOEP is online now   Reply With Quote