WTF is this? teacher writes on

>

WTFIsThis

WTFIsThis

WTF is this? teacher writes on
Old 05-31-2019, 01:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

https://www.foxnews.com/us/florida-t...dents-homework

Have you seen it? It is all over the news. The teacher in FL who wrote WTF is this ? on a student's work.

Years back, I would be the first one to go down on this teacher hard. However, bc I am older now and more experienced, I am rather to ask for context. Of course, it is unprofessional but context matters. I had moms and dads argue that expressing profanity, obscenity was their first amendment and god given right! Rolling eyes!!!!

Also, the teacher apologized and it's being reprimanded. So, where is the PBIS plan for teachers. When we make mistakes, the first recourse shouldn't be punishment, should be reflection. Let's lead by example. What lead you to write this? What have you learn? What strategies can you use in future assignments to not blurt out WTF is this? What can you write instead on your next ####ty assignment?

Where is the teacher's PBIS plan? What good for the goose is good for the gander.

I am really annoyed by this SH!T on the news today. The way that my students and parents behave and the way administrations are run today, I just wonder if more and more teachers won't be loosing it too.

AlwaysSummer

AlwaysSummer

Old 05-31-2019, 03:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

When this student is an adult and going nowhere the parents will wonder why. Sometimes, children need a wake up call.

stephenPE

Old 05-31-2019, 04:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I think we all have multple WTF moments in the course of a day with children and sometimes you can slip. In forty years I was very careful with my words (my dad used profanity like a master used oils while painting) but i slipped maybe 3 or 4 times. This teacher was at the END of the year and tired of the BS and this kid probably had driven her nuts quite a few times..........its almost funny now. I have heard kids say What the ........more than a few times.
stephenPE is offline   Reply With Quote

Kinderkr4zy

Old 05-31-2019, 05:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I actually thought this very response when I student taught 5th a kid answered a math question with a picture of a penis and testicles. I didnt write it, but I thought it.

In highschool, I feel like we need context before we judge this. What did the student write? Are we sure that the teacher meant what we think they meant?I know a teacher who told her students that said WTF in class that it stood for "Way to Fail" and they lost all daily participation points when she heard it. This is highschool-what is the context.

And lets not forget that the mother isnt nearly so concerned that her child is getting no credit. She doesnt care that her child isnt doing his job as a student, she is more worried about the comments on snowflakes paper? Seriously.
Kinderkr4zy is offline   Reply With Quote

Angelo

Problem?
Old 05-31-2019, 05:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

When I write WTF? on student work, it’s shorthand for “Where’s the focus?”

What’s wrong with that? Hey, if the kids can play dumb, so can I.

Angelo is offline   Reply With Quote

teenytiny

Old 05-31-2019, 09:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

This gets a big shrug from me. Was it professional? Yeah, probably not. But, it's the end of the year, the student had probably done or written something ridiculous on the homework. I'm sure it was deserved.

The mom should have been mad at her child for doing such a terrible job on the homework, rather than worrying about some acronym of a curse word that her high school student probably uses constantly.
teenytiny is offline   Reply With Quote

apple annie

Old 05-31-2019, 11:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

. Ok it's unprofessional, but I couldn't help laughing. I'm dying to see what this kid turned in!
apple annie is offline   Reply With Quote

mrsf70

Old 06-01-2019, 04:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Unprofessional, but hilarious, especially at the high school level. People outside of education have no idea what it's like in the classroom every day. I understand exactly where this teacher's mind was when she wrote this. At the end of the year, we are over all the BS the kids send our way. This teacher simply couldn't hold back any longer. Yes, there should be a discussion with the teacher about professionalism, but nothing more.
mrsf70 is offline   Reply With Quote

FLteachESE

Old 06-01-2019, 06:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

What is great about this is reading the comments after the article- people are literally saying WTF over the parent making this an issue.

So not an issue that needs to go national- geez.
FLteachESE is offline   Reply With Quote

Angelo

Typical
Old 06-01-2019, 06:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I mean... in all fairness, I don’t know all the background. But this seems like one of those situations where a parent is blaming the teacher (or teachers) rather than the student because the student isn’t doing the job. This happens a lot in public (and even frequently in private) schools. It’s always all the school’s fault. Admin will shrug day in and day out when the student swears at the teacher, kisses his teeth in contempt, cuts class, blows off assignments, and ignores classroom rules and expectations. The parent is anti-teacher and will always defend her (probably six-foot tall, 17-year-old) baby and claim it’s the mean old teacher picking on him that’s causing all the conflict. Like that time she told him he was no longer allowed to take 40-minute restroom breaks and miss the last half of science class every day... what a monster!

So the parent just waits for the teacher to get so frustrated she makes one slip-up... an unprofessional comment, a snarky rejoinder, raising the voice in anger, etc... then she’ll pounce on it and make the conversation ALL about that one slip-up and cite it as evidence that the whole situation is the teacher’s fault and claim the teacher has no business being in teaching.

Your son swore daily at the teacher.
But, but, but... what about this WTF on his paper?

Your son missed over 20 classes and was late 30 times.
No wonder... with a teacher who writes nasty comments on his homework, would you want to go to class just to be abused?

Your son started fights in class on at least four occasions.
He was frustrated and embarrassed by the teacher’s constant haranguing... as evidenced by this one sardonic homework comment.

In any case, it’s unfortunate the teacher chose to put this weapon in the parent’s hand for all to see, but the fact is the student and parent likely would simply have made something up out of whole cloth had the teacher not been so generous with this juicy tidbit of year-end teacher exhaustion.

Angelo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tori58

Old 06-01-2019, 06:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

ROTFLMFAO! (Sorry, couldn't resist.) I think this teacher deserves a medal, not a reprimand. Is anyone really surprised that Fox News would take the opportunity to make the most out of a good, teacher-bashing story like this? I'm not.

It's a great example of what I was talking about it another thread about the teacher shortage being driven, in part, by constant, politically-motivated teacher-bashing. Whatever you may think about a teacher writing "WTF" on a paper, how is it news?
Tori58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Renea

Old 06-01-2019, 07:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Quote:
When I write WTF? on student work, it’s shorthand for “Where’s the focus?”
Love this!
Renea is online now   Reply With Quote

sonoma

Angelo
Old 06-01-2019, 10:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Exactly the way I would handle it!

Yes we all know it is wrong. But it is also very understandable and probably would get through to the little snowflake.
sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote

Gogogo

I want to see the rest of the paper
Old 06-01-2019, 11:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I think seeing the rest of the paper would be very revealing...
Gogogo is offline   Reply With Quote

PrivateEyes

I agree...
Old 06-01-2019, 12:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I'd really have to know what is on the rest of the paper before I could make a judgement. The parent hiding that part makes me think that the response is totally justified.
PrivateEyes is offline   Reply With Quote

70Primrose

Old 06-01-2019, 03:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I have had two of my kids graduate from HS and my youngest is going to be a junior. They have all told me they have teachers that cuss. HS kids cuss like crazy. I feel there is nothing wrong with a little appropriate cussing. I mean it shouldn’t be every other word or used to call names. I feel if the kid turned in sh!t then a WTF is okay.
70Primrose is offline   Reply With Quote

Zephie

Old 06-02-2019, 04:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

This reminds me of a friend I had that had to take a below level English her freshman year. The teacher taught grammar using a lesson about the F bomb.

“How to use the F word in 6 of the 8 parts of speech”

From that point forward the class really started understanding grammar. Most finished high school in on level or above because they became decent writers- some excellent writers (including my friend.)

I think context is important.
Zephie is offline   Reply With Quote

Surly

The dynamic Angelo
Old 06-02-2019, 05:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

described as far as administrators and parents are concerned is dead on. That's why teachers have to watch everything they say and do. I don't think this should be a huge deal, but teachers have to be wary of what Angelo described: there's always at least one parent who has it in for you, and administrators are usually going to let kids do whatever they want and then refuse to back you when a parent t complains. While I don't think this incident falls under this, we are encouraged to be less formal with kids under the guise of "relationship building." How are we supposed to feel comfortable being more open when this dynamic is at play?
Surly is offline   Reply With Quote

Claire

Old 06-02-2019, 11:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

Give me a break. My kid just graduated last week. Number one I never would have seen that paper, he was self sufficient. Number two...really?? That WTF hurt your 17 or 18 year old baby?
Then why did said kid turn in crap?

Grow up snowflake manufacturing parents. Did this kid never play sports and have coaches lay into him?
Claire is offline   Reply With Quote