Help

BusyBoard

Build your own curriculum

>

kahluablast

Build your own curriculum
Old 06-08-2019, 05:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Spending time helping out my parents has a lot of time to just sit around, so I am spending a good chunk of time trying to build my lesson plans for next year.

From scratch, a job that has never been at my school, with no actual standards (heard they were adopting some mid summer, so I am keeping them in mind... donít think they will be an issue). It is a lot harder than it should be. I just want some solid ideas and direction for how I want to structure things and a could of weeks of solid plans to get a routine established and a basic knowledge base going to build on. After that I want a general outline of concepts and programs to use and want to fill in actual activities based on teacher needs.

I have a ton of maps to use as a guideline, but I have decided that there are too many. I finally have a template that I can work with well, but filling it is now is the concern. Too much info or not enough info. So many directions to go. When I open it up in August, will I remember what I meant?

Just musing. Anyone ever build something with no guideline?

Oh, the other thing I am trying to work out is the teacher. The p has said she wants teachers at the class so they can learn. From experience, I know most teacher donít want to be an aid in a class. They have difficulty being a follower and feeling like they have other things to do and shouldnít be there. So, I would like the lessons that provide teachers quality learning also. I donít want an aid or a behavior manager. . I want to try and work it out so they are either learning something useful that they can grow with, or they can leave. But I donít want the expectation that they donít have to stay because that is what they will all do. Been there! . But I donít need them in the room judging me, or grading. Still a lot to work out there.

kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

Lilbitkm

Old 06-08-2019, 05:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

What will you be teaching?

I have never built my plans with no standards but standards are basically all we do have to teach ďfrom.Ē
Lilbitkm is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 06-08-2019, 05:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I will be a tech teacher. I am excited and want it to be a great learning year!

marguerite2

Old 06-08-2019, 06:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Are there any other tech teachers in the district? I spent my last five pre retirement years doing tech. There were three other tech teachers. We'd meet once a month and bounce ideas, tips, and tricks off each other. (This was not district required. We did it on our own.)

I loved the no set curriculum. I had a broad stroke idea (based on tech teacher conversation) of what I wanted to achieve for the year, but the no set curriculum allowed me to apply the broad strokes to what was being studied in the classroom.

Tech was the best job I ever had. Enjoy your summer. Plan some. But, realize that plans will inevitably change once classes start. You're off to a great adventure.
marguerite2 is offline   Reply With Quote

chalkdusty

Old 06-08-2019, 06:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Does your state have published expectations for technology or computer science? If so, I'd start there. They made be hidden in the ELA standards.

chalkdusty is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Tech currriculum
Old 06-08-2019, 06:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I always said I didnít get paid enough to write curriculum

I would look at State standards...there should be tech requirements at every grade level now.

Then, how much input do the teachers get? My school had a loose program but we could customize our curriculum. The testing grades spent a lot of time on keyboarding skills, particularly third grade.

Google other Districtsí programs...you might hit on something useful.

Good luck!!
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Overlightnes

Old 06-08-2019, 06:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I've built my own from scratch, mostly because the district curriculum was trash. It's very overwhelming when you first start out, but once you start taking enough steps things start rolling along. My advice is to think of a specific overarching theme or attribute. Use that to help guide subcategories to build to that topic. Don't get lost in the "nitty-gritty" day-to-day lessons either. Have a general road map, but you'll need to make adjustments anyway based on students. The students are also your best barometer of success. If something isn't working, fine-tune or adjust. It's a lot of work, but it definitely challenges you to grow as an educator.
Overlightnes is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 06-08-2019, 07:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

No standards other than the ccss, which I know. I am using the ISTE as a guide. I have tweaked a list of skills that we have worked on over the years that we want students to know. Those are my beginning guides. They are the base though. There are many more things to develop. Will keep plugging away. I hope to teach a PD toward the beginning of the year about some of the possibilities. I think as a teacher it is hard to incorporate tech in ways other than just substitution if you aren’t aware of things that you can do.

That will be my next activity. Putting that training together.

MayCee

Technology Lessons
Old 06-08-2019, 07:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Have you checked out Brittany Washburn? She gives a year pacing (link below) and then she gives each lesson for 4 quarters! She links all of her resources for the lessons, but you can easily find others. Sheís gives weekly ideas for each grade level. She provided all the pacing calendars free online (I find them on Facebook).

https://lookaside.fbsbx.com/file/Pac...hhWucbWIFcChDA
Attachment

Sign in to view attachment. Not a member? Sign Up FREE
MayCee is online now   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 06-08-2019, 08:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

MayCee - she is one of the ones I am using as a resource. We looked at buying her curriculum, but it was really expensive (close to $300) and without really being able to look at it, was too much. We are a STEM school using PBL, so I think I would have had to adapt a lot of the materials to fit our teachers. Then, I decided, what the heck, it would be good to have the resource and it had been on sale, so I went with the thought of buying. She recently changed it to a subscription... So I think it might be a lot of work putting it in a way I could reuse things...

I do have the plans, though, and looked at some of her sample lessons. You never know, I might get it towards the beginning of school. It might not be bad for a resource for the first year. The sub plans themselves might be worthwhile!

Kinderkr4zy

Old 06-08-2019, 08:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

My district uses another districts scope and sequence as our foundation to build our own curriculum on.

https://www.fresnounified.org/dept/c...d_Sequence.pdf
Kinderkr4zy is offline   Reply With Quote