Help

BusyBoard

I was right! :(

>

JulieP

I was right! :(
Old 07-29-2010, 01:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Well, even though "official" results will not be available on the state's website until tomorrow, we just got word that our school is ranked unacceptable. I know that it's not because of my grade level, but the state doesn't care about that.

JulieP is offline   Reply With Quote

SunshineGal

Old 07-29-2010, 01:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I'm sorry to hear that. But as someone who doesn't teach in the US, I have to ask... What happens when a school is rated as "unacceptable"?
SunshineGal is offline   Reply With Quote

OmahaTeacher

I'm curious too...
Old 07-29-2010, 01:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

What happens when your school is unacceptable? I've never heard of this before!
OmahaTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote

LisaLin3

Sorry
Old 07-29-2010, 02:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I know it's not your fault, but if your like me you feel like what could I have done. The truth is nothing!!! We do as much as we can throughout the year and that's all we can do. I know the other teachers are probably feeling the same way. Keep your head up and just conitnue to do your best
LisaLin3 is offline   Reply With Quote

middlemac

sad
Old 07-29-2010, 02:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Sadly: It is a matter of when you will not make AYP....not if...
We will all be there at some time...unless it changes....

I am an ESOL teacher and they expect the students to be on grade level proficient.. one year after entering US schools......even though all research says that it takes 7 to 10 years to be academically proficient.

middlemac is offline   Reply With Quote

Katybee

Old 07-29-2010, 02:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Are you in TX? Is it your first year as accedemically unacceptable?

If it's your first year, you will probably be put on a pretty serious improvement plan--lots of scripted lessons, people in your building/room making sure you're on target, lots of professional development. But it also usually means more resources--instructional coaches, tutors, etc.

If a school continues to be rated unacceptable, they can be shut down and students transferred to other schools, teachers transferred, even let go.

I wanted to add that although every school has teachers that could do a better job, most of the teachers I know that work at these schools give it everything they have. They are almost always low socio-economic, at-risk, ELL populations. I'm sure that being told you are doing an "unacceptable" job really boosts your enthusiasm and confidence. I'm sorry.
Katybee is offline   Reply With Quote

noomie

So sorry
Old 07-29-2010, 02:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I know that your grade level must have really worked hard this year! Keep doing what you're doing for the kids and try not to let any "help" that the school gets reflect on your decisions to do what is best for the kids. I know when we get those "pep" talks from our admin, it's really hard not to feel like throwing in the towel.
noomie is offline   Reply With Quote

fraffert

Sorry!!!
Old 07-29-2010, 05:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I am so sorry. I have been in your shoes before. We have had people in our school for a whole year observing and doing lots of extra stuff to try to reach passing. Just keep your head high and keep pushing.
fraffert is offline   Reply With Quote

Tigger3

It's the same
Old 07-29-2010, 05:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

for special education students. As a special education teacher I'm suppose to teach my students the grade level curriculum to pass our state test; even when some of my 4th and 5th grade students read two and three levels below their grade. I work with students that have language based learning disabilities which impacts all subject areas. These students self esteem and confidence are tested each and everyday, never mind when they are faced with the state's grade level testing.
Tigger3 is offline   Reply With Quote

JulieP

Old 07-29-2010, 06:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Thanks everyone. The issues seem to be all TAKS subjects except 3rd grade math and reading and 7th 8th Language Arts tests. The rest were just horrible.

We are a charter school up for review this year with the state. NOT a good time to be unacceptable. Lots of staff moved around, extra days of training throughout the year, and I'm sure a lot of being watched. Of course there's the blame game that I'm sure will happen. I have numbers on my side, though.

The state can pull our charter at any time, especially now that we are ranked unacceptable. That means less than 70% of the student population passed their state testing. If we don't improve this year, I'm sure they will shut us down. It would be crazy for them to leave us open and foot the bill for sub-par education.

JulieP is offline   Reply With Quote