Help! Do you have a TV attached to your classroom computer? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

BusyBoard

Help! Do you have a TV attached to your classroom computer?

>

jvar87

Help! Do you have a TV attached to your classroom computer?
Old 07-29-2010, 01:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

So...I am not luck enough to have a smart board and we all have to share only a couple led projectors that attach to computers. I would really like to incorporate more technology into my classroom than this allows.

I'm wondering if anyone has a television attached to the computer to show videos or powerpoints? If so, what kind of TV and what size? What wires are required? Is this easy to do and cost effective?

Would it be more cost effective for me to just purchase my own projector? From what I have seen, these can be VERY expensive!

Any other ideas? Help!

jvar87 is offline   Reply With Quote

skelly

I do...
Old 07-29-2010, 01:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

have my TV connected my computer. I have an Apple, but I don't remember what type of TV. I'm still on summer break so I can't check. All it took was one cord, and our tech department had them. They didn't offer them, though. But when I asked, they sent it. I really like it. It's so convenient.
skelly is offline   Reply With Quote

Keddiej

Old 07-29-2010, 02:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Yes I have a tv hooked to my computer. It's an average TV thats 10 years old, not an HD or LED. The cable you need is not necessarily very expensive...it's about $30 I think. You need to get a splitter cable so you can switch back and forth between your tv and your monitor. The downside is that you cannot really use your computer if youre showing a video on it. And now I cannot really relocate my computer to anywhere but right under the TV. (It's mounted up in the corner). but it is a cheaper solution than buying a projector.
Keddiej is offline   Reply With Quote

Socks

Check into it
Old 07-29-2010, 02:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I'd head to Best Buy and ask them or check with your tech department (if you have one) when you get back to school. I wanted to do this a few years ago and I was going to have to add hardware to my computer to do it.
Socks is offline   Reply With Quote

noomie

Yes
Old 07-29-2010, 03:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I do have my classroom TV connected to my school computer (Dell). The TV was mounted from the ceiling and our tech department provided the splitter. (I say was, because over the summer we're having major A/C upgrades done school-wide and the TVs were taken down the last week of school.) It does limit where you can put your computer since the cable isn't super long. The TV is not new (probably at least 10 years old) and I can't use my computer at the same time that we're watching a particular lesson. It works fine even though the picture is not as big as a projected one. My kids just move their chairs closer if they can't see well enough. If you are thinking of doing this, you'll need the cable and then some way to have the TV near the computer (sturdy cart, table etc).

noomie is offline   Reply With Quote

senseigold

Old 07-29-2010, 03:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I do but I cant tell you how they did it . someone said it was hard to use your computer if you are showing a movie so what i did was have them attach a dvd player to the tv as well so i can show a video and still work on my computer
senseigold is offline   Reply With Quote

cre8tive_tchr

Before I had a SB...
Old 07-29-2010, 04:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

At our school we had some boxes that hook from the computer to the the box then to the TV. They are made by AverMedia. Our tech person said they were under $100 and we had some. When I found out I claimed a TV and kept it in my room. Originally I was told I would have to return it each day, but I just quit bringing it back and no one ever asked to borrow it. Then other teachers found out and surprisingly there were 4 more in our building. What a waste?!?! I was glad that I investigated this for more teachers to use. It worked great for me to project anything on the computer to the TV. I used different learning games and instead of having the kids "touch" it like a smart board, they came up to control the keyboard/mouse. It would have really worked well with the wireless keyboard and mouse I have now for them to pass it around. They LOVED our TV lessons . We watched the vocab powerpoints for Treasures and used it for math games mostly.

Here are the ones we have:
http://www.amazon.com/AVermedia-Key-...0450339&sr=8-1
cre8tive_tchr is offline   Reply With Quote

Love is...

Old 07-30-2010, 01:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I have a standard size TV and PC.

My computer has an AVERKey that allows the computer to be seen on the TV.
I also have an audio cable (red/black/yellow cords) so we can hear videos, music, etc.
Love is... is offline   Reply With Quote