I'm so frickin' sick and tired of micromanagement! - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

The VENT

I'm so frickin' sick and tired of micromanagement!

>

Speced9

I'm so frickin' sick and tired of micromanagement!
Old 05-05-2012, 05:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

My princ is such a micromanager! It really gets under my skin. No decision can be made without her inserting her need for approval. At this point in my career (25+ years), you'd think I could get enough trust and respect that I could perform simple tasks without having to wait for her approval.

Two cases in point that drive me up the frickin' wall-

First, I am the recorder for our building review team. It's my duty to take notes and send them out to everyone in the building. My princ insists that I first send them to her for approval before I send them out to my colleagues. Of course, approval takes a long time. My thought is this- WHY DON'T YOU JUST TAKE THE MINUTES AND SEND THEM OUT?

Second, I'm the person in charge of the morning announcements via closed circuit TV. Anything I want to put on the show that isn't the basic lunch menu, birthday or general announcement I have to run by her first. This one pisses me off the most. As a seasoned educator, I believe I know what's appropriate and what's not appropriate (subject matter, length of time etc.) to show on morning announcements. Even when I do tech projects with students, she has to see them first. AAAARRRRRRGH. My latest directive on this one was for me to show her a student made video about conflict resolution. I'm showing it on Monday. As I always do, I sent out an email telling teachers what I'll be showing, how long it is and a brief synopsis. After my email, I get one from her that says, "I'd like to see this first."

I literally said out loud, "WTF!" and just deleted her email. I'm sick and tired of it.

Speced9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Speced9

and by the way
Old 05-05-2012, 05:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

the director of special ed. for the district is the same way. I can't win.
Speced9 is offline   Reply With Quote

beachygrl

Old 05-05-2012, 07:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Bless your heart! I understand because I work with her twin!
beachygrl is offline   Reply With Quote

HomeofLove

Old 05-05-2012, 08:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I think this is one of those situations where you take the good with the bad.

At the other end of the spectrum, you have Principals who are totally and completely clueless about what goes on right under their nose...Ps who are just so out of touch with what's going on right in their building, Ps who have no backbone whatsoever and who let parents walk all over them because they were caught off-guard when a parent complained (and the P had no idea about the subject matter of the complaint), etc. Sounds like in your case, you have a P who doesn't want anything to pass her that she wasn't aware of beforehand so that she's not caught off-guard.
HomeofLove is offline   Reply With Quote

AprilDelight

Welcome to my world!
Old 05-05-2012, 10:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

After 26 years of teaching in this district, our admin. treats me the same way. The super. even micromanages her own principals, undermining them so that they are essentially eunochs! It's frustrating beyond belief, and on top of that, she has her favorites, and she's a horrible bully.

I'm with you, Speced9! I'm sick of it too!

AprilDelight is offline   Reply With Quote

Cassyree

Old 05-05-2012, 12:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

A former principal of mine got burned badly and publicly in the town newspaper over a skit in a senior revue that poked fun at another high school. The skit crossed the line.

He trusted the teacher in charge. I bet he won't again. I imagine principals get told horror tales about how anything written or spoken that comes from their school can come back to bite them. So your principal wants to pre-approve everything.

I understand your frustration. We used to feel trusted and valued. Now we seem to be the enemy of students, parents, state legislators, school boards, and school administrators.

Some teachers don't use good judgement. I guess your principal isn't willing to take the chance.
Cassyree is offline   Reply With Quote

Elemteach22

Old 05-06-2012, 05:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Actually, the principal is just doing her job. Anything that goes out from the school is a reflection on her. Although you would not put out anything questionable, the buck ultimately stops at the principal. I have taught for 32 years and I still have some things approved by the principal before they are sent out. When things go out for the entire student body, I definitely get approval. It is as much for my protection as any other reason.
Elemteach22 is offline   Reply With Quote

kitekrazy

Old 05-07-2012, 06:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I've seen this before. It was in a community that hated teachers and parents would find anything to complain about.
kitekrazy is offline   Reply With Quote

BWIND

My principal is the same..
Old 05-08-2012, 01:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

My principal is very much a micromanager. I understand why she needs to be though. Some teachers would not do their job the right way if she didn't micromanage. I agree with the reply about not wanting it to bite her in the butt. Hang in there.
BWIND is offline   Reply With Quote