Help

Visual & Performing Arts

Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain book &

>

sarah78

Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain book &
Old 08-21-2007, 09:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I just read this book this summer at the urging of a fellow art teacher and amazingly, as I worked through all the exercises in the book, it helped me to draw credible portraits, so that now I feel for the first time I can teach drawing to my class. My question is- has anyone else tried to use the methods with their middle school classes and do you have any tips or suggestions for me?

If you haven't read this book and you can't draw and dread teaching drawing, I highly recommend it!

sarah78 is offline   Reply With Quote

Marilyn B.

Marilyn B.

Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain
Old 08-22-2007, 03:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Yes, I've used several of the book's drawing exercises, including contour drawing and drawing the upside down man. When you do the latter, it's important to explain Edwards' reasoning for drawing upside down. It's to "turn off" or to quiet the left, verbal, judgemental side of the brain, in order to let the right side take over. The right is the more creative side. Once the kids get into it, they seem to be OK drawing in this new way, and they're ususally amazed at their finished drawings.