Help

BusyBoard

Polar Express

>

rachelmpd

Polar Express
Old 12-11-2015, 08:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I want to do the Polar Express on Friday. In the past I set up the chairs in two rows. One year I remember I did something to attempt to make it look like a train. Any suggestions? I have a parent who is very creative/artistic, she may be able to do it for me if I give it to her by Monday.

I usually give them a bell, but can't remember if I just put a ribbon through it or ?? Also how long of a ribbon-so they can wear it as a necklace or just hold it?(this is 3rd).

I was thinking of reading the book, giving them hot chocolate, and then showing the movie? One year, I made Noughet, it wasn't very popular.

What else am I forgetting? This is in lieu of a party. We have just under two hours before recess and then 35 minutes until P.E./Lunch, then maybe 40 minutes until they are out.

rachelmpd is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Tickets To The Polar Express
Old 12-12-2015, 03:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I would do a short author study. Chris Van Allsburg is a very interesting person. He apparently played on a museum train as a child. The number of the train was 1225. It made him think of December 25th which gave him the idea for the book. Also he wrote the book in 45 minutes. It is the fastest he has ever written one of his picture books. He was truly inspired.

http://hmhbooks.com/chrisvanallsburg/

http://houghtonmifflinbooks.com/feat...arpartykit.pdf

Math?

http://www.proteacher.net/discussion...ght=polar+math

Last edited by 1956BD; 12-12-2015 at 04:28 AM..
1956BD is online now   Reply With Quote

GlacierRose

Old 12-13-2015, 04:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

1956BD, that was really interesting information to learn about van Allsburg. Thank you!
GlacierRose is offline   Reply With Quote

Spedhed

Old 12-13-2015, 05:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Do you have any older males, admin or teachers, with a deepish voice? I remember earlier in my career, the 2nd grade at my building did this, and our superintendent came over to read it to them and they were captivated.

Also, are they going to wear PJs on that day?
Spedhed is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 12-14-2015, 06:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

My Kindergarten transforms the hallway into the Polar Express. The attached photo was our inspiration. They each get a sandwich sack with S'mores (mini marshmallows, chocolate chips, Golden Grahams)and the principal (the conductor) punches their tickets, and all the Kinders watch the movie on a Promethean board in a classroom turned into the North Pole. At intermission, 3rd graders serves them hot chocolate. And yes, it is PJ Day!

Zia is online now   Reply With Quote

rachelmpd

Thanks
Old 12-14-2015, 07:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I have a lot of the printables. I was looking for the ideas. I made the mistake of mentioning it to the other two teachers. We were going to have it in the cafeteria, one of the others thought it might be too much to set up. Then today she said we could do it in her room and we can take breaks. She said she would move all the tables out of the way and the kids could sit in two rows on the floor. No, they are supposed to sit on chairs in two rows!

For those that know me, I am way too anal and like things my way! I have bitten my tongue a lot this year with her. I think I am going to read the story in my room and then go to her room to watch the movie. Urrrg, I don't want to be the spoil sport, since the other class is going, but at the same time I want things my way.
rachelmpd is offline   Reply With Quote