Help

BusyBoard

Buddy Program

>

igaboo8

Buddy Program
Old 04-13-2017, 10:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Our school has a very challenging group of second graders and we'd like to intervene before things get really bad. I thought it might be good idea to set up a buddy program between the that class and the eighth graders (an INCREDIBLY sweet group of kids). I envision the buddies to do more than just read books or eat lunch with the younger kids. I'd like them to really be a role model and have them rub off on these kids.

Does anyone have resources or places to steer me? TIA

igaboo8 is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 04-13-2017, 12:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Honestly, I've done buddies for many years with many different groups and I think reading and doing activities is a great place to start. Once they get to know their buddy, some of the behaviors and role modeling will happen naturally. Once they build a rapport, whoever is planning it can add more in depth and involved activities.

When I had buddies (4th/1st) we had an unplanned fire alarm and one of my not-so-sympathetic kids took his buddy by the hand, told him it would be alright and he would protect him. It still brings tears to my eyes. It's things like that that you can't plan, but happen naturally from just reading and doing fun activities.
GreyhoundGirl is online now   Reply With Quote