Help

BusyBoard

Teacher providing activities for tutor?

>

readandweep

Teacher providing activities for tutor?
Old 04-14-2017, 12:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I teach self-contained special ed and homework is a student-by-student decision.

I have one student I give weekly words to and I send home paper guided reading books or articles after we are done with them.

Mom and student have reported that they do not always get to these things. No big deal, we go over the words every day in class.

Anyway, mom has hired a tutor to help with student's recent dyslexia diagnosis.

Mom wanted me to provide activities for student and tutor to work on. I passed on the student's reading and math levels and other info the tutor might find helpful. Mom seemed ok with this.

Was I wrong to feel put out that I was expected to provide materials? I used to tutor and always figured material and setup into my rate and time commitment. I would help with homework if asked, but never expected the teacher to provide items.

readandweep is offline   Reply With Quote

MrsCroak

Old 04-14-2017, 12:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I am general ed and have had similar requests. I usually leave it as "here is a list of your child's missing assignments, here are the specific areas I'd like you to work on with a tutor", and then tell the parent to give my email address to the tutor so they can contact me directly with any specific questions. It seems to work.
MrsCroak is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Tutor
Old 04-14-2017, 04:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I have been asked this on a few occasions. I just tell the parents to have tutor contact me. I will tell tutor what we're working on and child's area of weakness. I do not provide materials.
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

readerleader

Old 04-14-2017, 04:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

That is out of line to expect you to in essence, lesson plan for the tutor. That is what she is paying the tutor to do. You have provided the necessary information, leave it at that.
readerleader is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 04-14-2017, 07:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I think it's helpful if you can give the tutor information about strengths and weaknesses (as long as mom signs a release saying you can share that information), whether over the phone or via a written document. Mom can choose to share homework and other work that has come home with the tutor. It's up to the tutor to decide how to teach the child those skills. It is NOT your responsibility to provide any actual work outside what you normally give the child for the tutor to use. It sounds like you did just fine.

GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote