Help

BusyBoard

Help! Need ideas for "No Joke" testing assembly

>

tia

Help! Need ideas for "No Joke" testing assembly
Old 04-13-2017, 11:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

since no one came up with any great ideas (at my school), and i'm usually the one to get things going, and testing starts soon....yikes!...i've picked the theme:

"Being Smart Is No Joke!"

Teachers will share jokes; each class will have 2 students share a (school-related, i think) joke....that's all i got.

our pep rallies are usually about 1/2 hour.

do you have any other ideas?

what might be some "funny" music to have the students enter and exit to?

thanks!

ETA: just told the staff to dress "like clowns"--crazy hair, mismatched clothes, funny socks....

any other ideas?

tia is offline   Reply With Quote

Mikhail

serious testing protocol
Old 04-13-2017, 01:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Testing is serious business, money involved and can be quite expensive. I would take on a more serious attitude about it. I've attended assemblies where they talk about the consequences from students not showing during state tests to possibly being held back for not meeting some benchmark goal. And then there's a separate assembly for teachers/staff that administer these tests in confidentiality. I don't think I understand why this has to be a light-hearted endeavour.
Mikhail is offline   Reply With Quote

tia

yah,
Old 04-13-2017, 06:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

that's not what i was looking for.

eagles23

tia
Old 04-13-2017, 07:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Racking my brain but I can't think of anything right now. The joker from Batman just keeps coming to mind. I would go easy on the clown dress up- no literal clowns. Clowns aren't seen as friendly as they once were.
eagles23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 04-13-2017, 07:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Quote:
I've attended assemblies where they talk about the consequences from students not showing during state tests to possibly being held back for not meeting some benchmark goal.
I think the goal is to alleviate anxiety, not ramp it up.

I would pull my kids from a scared straight PARCC assembly so fast it would make your head spin.

Zia is online now   Reply With Quote

theapple

Testing Pep Rally
Old 04-13-2017, 10:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I am sure by now that most kids in this country understand the seriousness of state testing. They do not need to be lectured about how serious of this test in an assembly when teachers already do this throughout the school year.

We use testing pep rallies to motivate the kids to do their best. Let them leave their stress behind for a half hour or full hour.

Anyway, back to the original topic--- I don't have any ideas. Your's seems pretty good!
theapple is offline   Reply With Quote

Gromit

Old 04-13-2017, 10:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

How about if teachers act out silly jokes instead of just tell them?

Choose a few students to share their favorite jokes (pre-approved!) or humorous poems (like Shel Silverstein's Homework Machine)

What do you think of changing your title to "Working Hard is No Joke!" or something like that? Instead of "Being Smart." "Being Smart" implies innate ability, and working hard is something anyone can do and is a stronger predictor of success.
Gromit is online now   Reply With Quote

tia

thank you for the ideas
Old 04-14-2017, 09:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

This is a school tradition, going back to the advent of "high stakes testing", after our school totally bombed and we brainstormed what we could do.

Our staff is a fun-loving staff (I know, I've bragged and bragged on them---I'm SOOO lucky!) and we love any excuse to be goofy. The students really look forward to these assemblies. (I won't go into all of the different themes we've had and shows we've spoofed--I've posted about them a number of times...)

I appreciate your ideas! Gromit, I really like the idea of changing "Being Smart"--that was just what rolled off the top of my head...maybe we'll change it to "Learning..."

thanks again, and good luck to you all getting through your testing season, however works best for you, your kids, and your school!

Munchkins

Theme to Rocky
Old 04-14-2017, 10:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

For some reason, this popped into my head, maybe as the exit song, everyone pumping their fists over their heads and jogging out.

And the song, "we are the champions" could be fun! I wish I worked at your school!
Munchkins is offline   Reply With Quote

linda2671

Old 04-14-2017, 11:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Our principal dresses up as a super hero. He calls himself Captain Assessment, and runs in the room while music plays. Then he goes over ideas for doing well on a test. (Get lots of sleep the night before, think the questions through thoroughly, read every answer, etc) The kids love it.

linda2671 is offline   Reply With Quote

WGReading

Teacher Skit
Old 04-15-2017, 08:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

At our testing pep assembly last year, we had a few teachers act out over-exaggerated examples of poor testing behavior and positive testing behavior. Things like staying up super late before a test day vs. going to bed on time, standing up at the computer and loudly announcing he needs to go to the bathroom vs. whatever your procedure is for that, etc.
The kids thought it was really funny but it also reviewed the testing expectations for them.
WGReading is offline   Reply With Quote