Parent Conference: End of the year suggestions to help students?? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

BusyBoard

Parent Conference: End of the year suggestions to help students??

>

chanrowl

Parent Conference: End of the year suggestions to help students??
Old 04-24-2017, 01:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Yes, it's 4th quarter, but I just had a conference with parents who seemed very earnest in their concerns with their child. While I wish they had come early during the year, I'll take the "better late than never" approach with them as they came from a very humble approach of "we're sorry we didn't reach out to you before. . ."

Their child is low, no doubt about that, but she's not 'bottom-of-the-barrel' low. She's the kind that just barely gets by with a C. She's also extremely quiet. She doesn't participate unless I call on her, or she's confident she knows the right answer. However, as I told the parents, she's not actively engaging with instruction--she's just t-h-e-r-e. This is 4th grade BTW.

What suggestion would you give the parents, though late in the year (8 weeks left to be exact!) that they can do to help their child at this point?

I'm just curious to hear what others give as suggestions. I've been teaching almost 16 years, so it never hurts to get some fresh ideas. FYI: I suggested outside tutoring (I'm not certain of their financial situation), reviewing math facts each night, having her read texts and asking her questions about the text, as well as providing her manipulatives to help her with math homework and purchasing resources from educational stores that can be used as a nightly review. Lastly, we will be submitting her name for possible informal testing with our SST team, just to rule out anything (though I'd honestly be surprised if something was found).

chanrowl is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Your suggestions are fine
Old 04-24-2017, 06:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I would have them work with her through the summer.

Read 30 a day M-F. It really does not matter what she reads as long as she can comprehend the meaning. Read aloud together and discuss.

Do math facts for 10 minutes a day M-F and then 20 minutes of problem solving. Read problems aloud together and discuss. Have her do a think aloud as she solves. Practice counting money and making cash purchases. Then check change. The experience of buying herself will help with math word problems. Also practice telling time on an analog clock during the summer. Once she can tell time have parents make up elapsed time problems using real life examples. Teach her to set her on alarm and get herself up this next school year.

Then write 15 minutes a day M - F. Journal any topic she wishes. If she likes to watch movies she can write movie reviews. Or she could write her own word problems to solve. Or write stories. I would not have anyone correct. Just give her praise for spending time writing.

It would be good for her to read and follow simple recipes. She could cook simple things like boil an egg or make a grilled cheese sandwich. They could probably find a children's cook book at the public library. Cooking sometimes teaches math skills as well so it is a very practical way to practice academic skills.

Go to public library weekly. Allow her to enjoy some of the tween or teen magazines before getting books and maybe movies. If they can do something fun after or before going to the library. Make it a tradition to play at the park, get ice cream, call grandma... The child will begin to associate the fun with reading and library.

Play board games to practice reading and math skills.

Find easy crafts to make. She has to read and follow the directions on her own. There are many ideas online and craft books for kids. I like the paper crafts because getting the needed supplies is inexpensive. She will be so proud when she finishes her craft.

Have her help to make the grocery list and buy groceries. Spend some time reading labels to get the most nutritious products. If her fine motor skills are young she can cut out coupons to use at the store.

If her confidence is low she needs to do an activity that she is good at. That might be dancing, gymnastics, painting, drawing, a sport....Make room in the budget for her to do this. It will build her confidence and eventually that will transfer to school, at least a little.

Keep encouraging her to ask for help at school when she does not understand. This is difficult when you are shy. You need to be told over and over that you are responsible for your own learning.Asking questions is part of learning.

If they make a trip have her compute gas milage. Read maps. Call places and ask questions they need answered.
1956BD is offline   Reply With Quote

chanrowl

Thanks, 1956BD!
Old 04-25-2017, 04:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

These are fantastic ideas! Thank you! Sometimes, particularly at this time of year, my "well" runs dry so these really sparked things for me!
chanrowl is offline   Reply With Quote

bGracie

Old 04-25-2017, 09:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

1956BD, thanks for sharing all of those ideas! I've passed them on to some new teachers at my school whom I work with closely.
bGracie is offline   Reply With Quote