BusyBoard

CAASPP question

>

dav5fam

CAASPP question
Old 04-19-2017, 01:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello all!

In California, our students are required to take the state assessment in ELA and math. I need to help a teacher and would like your best piece of advice to her on how to best prepare our students - 3rd grade - who have never tested - on what the best strategies are for the language arts portion of the test.

She wants them to do well, as we all do, but what advice would you give a teacher so she can help her students?

dav5fam is offline   Reply With Quote

tctrojan

Top of the head idea
Old 04-19-2017, 02:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I would have students eliminate any wrong answers right off the bat.

I will keep thinking!
tctrojan is offline   Reply With Quote

CHenard

Caaspp
Old 04-19-2017, 04:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

When do they start testing? My district starts next week. I have some ideas I can give you for what we've done in my district, but we've been working on it for months. I don't think you have much time left to prepare.
CHenard is offline   Reply With Quote

RetiredKat

YouTube
Old 04-19-2017, 04:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I haven't checked for a while but do a search on YouTube for test taking tips and videos to help with test taking jitters. There used to be some very helpful ones so there are probably quite a few more by now.

If nothing else it will show them that everyone else also has to practice and everyone else also worries. They are not alone.

When they eliminate wrong answers first tell them they are slashing the trash...they love that!

Clues for the answers to main idea questions can frequently be found by rereading the title and/or the introduction. It's amazing how surprised they are the first time you tell them that.
RetiredKat is offline   Reply With Quote

dav5fam

CHenard
Old 04-19-2017, 08:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

This teacher has started but STILL wants to meet with me to discuss strategies.....

Any suggestions you have will be appreciated. Thank you in advance for responding, and thank you all for reaching out to support me.

RetiredKat

More tips
Old 04-20-2017, 09:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

TPT has a number of test taking strategies for FREE!!! One is a bookmark they could keep with their assignments until testing day. Just make sure you have them practice.

Also check out Pinterest.
RetiredKat is offline   Reply With Quote

cmjd2010

Positve Affirmations
Old 04-20-2017, 04:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I used to have my students write positive affirmations to themselves on the inside of their testing folder. On the outside, they wrote encouraging messages to each other. As far as testing, I would run through a couple of practice tests first so the students can get used to using the features that the new State testing offers. Hope that helps!
cmjd2010 is offline   Reply With Quote

dav5fam

Thank you
Old 04-21-2017, 04:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I appreciate all of you responding. I will use a pinch of each and definitely include the positive affirmations idea!

Kinderkr4zy

Old 04-22-2017, 05:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Pre-teach the vocabulary. I have been doing this for the last few weeks since vocabulary is a particular area of weakness for many of my students-including my English only students.

CAASPP/ SBAC vocab can be fond here-https://www.smarterbalanced.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/ELA-Construct-Relevant-Vocabulary.pdf

Also I have been having them practice using the tools and navigating the website so that on testing day they will be less anxious, less distracted by using navigating the testing software, ect. I want 100% on of their brain power going to understanding the content.
Kinderkr4zy is offline   Reply With Quote

teacher2

Testing
Old 04-29-2017, 02:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

The biggest hurdle my 3rd grade students had was needing to type answers for ELA questions that asked for responses to be several paragraphs long. Most
Of them don't know how to type and use the hunt and peck method which tends to take a very long time. It may be too late this year, but in the future she may want to build them up to longer writing tasks.
For this year a lot of encouragement and reassurance to do their best may help. I agree with a pp who said to pre teach some vocabulary.

teacher2 is offline   Reply With Quote