Help

BusyBoard

Scratched new schools floors

>

bodes12

Scratched new schools floors
Old 08-12-2018, 10:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

We just built a brand new school and it was stressed to us many times not to move furniture alone or it would scratch the floors. Construction came yesterday and I asked them to move my bookshelf and they scratched deep groves in the floor because the bottom of my cabinet has no movers. I was terrified thinking I has going to get fired and my co-teachers told me not to tell the principal and that it was fine. Today I moved the shelf again just slightly and used paper in the floor to move it, which has worked before to prevent scratches.

Nope, I totally scratched my floor and its obvious from the doorway. I'm really scared that I'm going to get fired. What should I do? Try to find some ways to hide the evidence, tell my principal, or any other ideas?

I'm really freaking out right now.

bodes12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Munchkins

take a breath!
Old 08-12-2018, 10:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I would think since the construction workers moved your bookcase first you should be in the clear. How would anyone know whether it was from you or the construction people?

To answer your question, I would totally hide it. Once the school isn't brand new anymore, everyone will have scratches on their floors, too. Can you put carpet squares down, or a little rug?

I'm sure it will be fine- I've never heard of anyone getting fired over a scratched floor!
Munchkins is offline   Reply With Quote

tyrex

Old 08-12-2018, 10:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

It's likely you didn't scratch the floors, you just scratched into the wax used on the floors. We get the same admonishment every year. Last year I moved my desk over the summer and scratched a big gouge into the wax. I was worried the custodian would see and would get furious so I tried to cover it up a bit by placing a student desk over the gouge. Once school started I moved the student desk. Nobody said anything to me and after a few months the wax was worn down everywhere. I assume that the gouge was waxed over when they rewaxed this summer.

I agree with the PP to not worry about what the workers did but try and mask the one you did. You will be fine. You will 100 percent not be fired over this.
tyrex is online now   Reply With Quote

ZipLine

Old 08-12-2018, 11:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I'm sure it's the wax surface that got scratched as well. Wait until the kids start moving their chairs in and out from their desks. You'll have scratches galore unless the school gave you tennis balls or silicon chair leg caps to put on every chair and desk leg.
ZipLine is online now   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 08-12-2018, 11:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

You're not going to get fired over a scratched floor . I wouldn't bother the principal with it- what are they going to be able to do about it? If there is a way to nicely cover it up, go ahead and do that. If not, just leave it alone and quit worrying about it. If someone mentions it, you can share that construction scratched it.

We are also in a brand new building this year. I scratched my floor moving a bookshelf as well. Other than being momentarily disappointed about it, I seriously haven't given it a second thought. Once school has started and kids are in there a scratch on the floor is going to be the last thing on anyone's mind.

Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote

readerleader

Fired over a scratched floor??
Old 08-12-2018, 12:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

If they scratch that easily, what's going to happen when kids are added to the picture. I can't imagine why a district would purchase floors that scratch easily. Don't worry about it! Not your problem!!!
readerleader is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

Agree...
Old 08-12-2018, 02:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I agree: You are totally fine. They won't fire you for this, although I can totally emphasize with your feeling of nervousness about this, especially as a first year teacher.

I wouldn't say anything either. If you can cover the one you made somehow, even a little, do it until the kids are there. If anyone does ask, I'd play dumb and/or say a student must have done it.
Teacherbee_4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Song of Joy

Old 08-12-2018, 05:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Sounds like you need a cute reading rug right in front of the bookshelf.

I would be tempted to apply some off the shelf floor wax, but I suppose that would violate some division of work policy so it's probably a bad idea, but I'd still be tempted.
Song of Joy is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 08-12-2018, 06:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

This is not something to worry about! Seriously, you're not going to be fired for this. If this were a fire-able offense, I'd have been fired years ago.
Zia is online now   Reply With Quote

marguerite2

Old 08-12-2018, 07:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

The "scratches" will blend in with the scratches the kids make by lunch time of the first student day if the floors scratch that easily. Even if you had the students take their shoes off at the door and just wear socks all day, your floor would be scratched by dismissal. School floor + students = scratches. It's simple math that can't be changed.

Stop worrying. You followed directions. You had the construction guy move it. You weren't alone. The person who should be worried is the one who thought you could prevent school floors from being scratched. His judgement is in question.

marguerite2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Scratched floors
Old 08-13-2018, 07:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Ain't nobody got time to worry about that! I had a P who was floor obsessed. Mine were scratched up before school started from moving furniture. No custodian to help so it was just me shoving things all over.

You're not getting fired over floors.
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote