Help

BusyBoard

Sub folder lessons for middle school

>

teacherwriter

Sub folder lessons for middle school
Old 08-15-2018, 03:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I need to prepare a sub folder. I'm now in middle school, mostly ELA but some electives too. What kinds of emergency activities or lessons would work well? Suggestions?

teacherwriter is offline   Reply With Quote

readandweep

Book/story response
Old 08-15-2018, 03:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

There are two volumes of this product:

https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/...%20ASSIGNMENTS

You can even repeat a response with a different story.

I found it covered most of the 7th-grade ELA standards.
readandweep is offline   Reply With Quote

MaineSub

In general...
Old 08-17-2018, 03:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

As a sub, I would plead, "Give me something with some meat in it." I really am there to teach and activities that are clearly "keep 'em busy" things tend to encourage classroom management issues. One problem I've had with "emergency" plans is the kids see it as non-productive since it's clearly off the norm and not contributing to their education and grade.

By middle school, I've found that options can work well as long as the choices are clear. I did an emergency sub job at the end of last year--no sub plans, it truly was an emergency. Fortunately, the teacher's plan book was on her desk and a look around the room helped. We ended up making the classes "finish up" classes as I was able to figure out most of the assignments and projects that were due--or in some cases overdue. I gave the kids the option of what they wanted to work on within certain parameters.

In response to my sub report the teacher said she had a ton of email waiting for her when she got back with work attached. Everybody won that day--it was one of the easiest days I've had subbing, but also one of the busiest keeping the kids productive, answering questions, etc.

When I run out of material, I've done things such as create an impromptu debate based on the material we just covered. Some teachers I work with regularly just leave me a list of ideas and choices.
MaineSub is offline   Reply With Quote