Help

BusyBoard

Ideas: Get up and move/educational...

>

eliza4one

Ideas: Get up and move/educational...
Old 08-19-2018, 07:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

We begin our 2nd full week tomorrow. I have 16 boys...2nd grade. (Plus 7 girls, but they aren't quite as active as the boys).

They still need that mid-morning, "get up and move" activity...

but NOT Go Noodle.

The first week we did the snowball fight where they all write down 3 things about themselves, crumple up the paper, and spend 2 min. throwing the snowballs...we then opened them up and try to guess whose snowball is whose. They loved that!

I want to do something similar...but with paper airplanes and NOT a get to know you activity, per se. I do want them writing, though...before they make their airplane. Then, we throw the airplanes and...???

Any ideas for this? Or similar ideas where the kids have to write/read something, but get to create something and move, as well?

I apologize if this sounds like a jumbled mess...it's late and tomorrow is Monday! Want to get this posted asap.

TIA!!!!

eliza4one is offline   Reply With Quote

Song of Joy

Old 08-19-2018, 08:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

How about if they have to write a learning target from the day on the paper airplane and then throw the airplanes at a target. The one who is closest gets to read the learning target. You might need more than one target.
Song of Joy is offline   Reply With Quote

mommy9298

Old 08-20-2018, 03:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I do many group activities involving movement. I find it helps with the behavior of the class and the kids love them. Here are two:,
-Scoot- put different questions/problems on a few desks in each group. I have them work together to answer. I say scoot and they move to the next group of questions. We check together or I provide answer keys at each group to go around and check.
-Check it- This is a review game. I separate students into groups. Everyone gets the same list of questions/problems. They solve each question and check the answers with their group members. When they agree they have the right answer they bring it to me. I check it, if itís correct they go back and answer the next question. If itís wrong they have to solve it again. They should work together and come to you together. The first group that finishes can win. I donít have winners all the time.
Movement and opportunities to talk are helpful.
mommy9298 is offline   Reply With Quote

KatieViolet

Old 08-20-2018, 05:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I do math ďgameĒ where they stand back to back with a partner while I show a problem on the board. They have 2 mins (or whatever) to do it alone on their board. When I say go! They flip around and compare answers, then discuss and help each other if one is wrong. Then switch partners and do again.

I also often will just post problems/questions around t he room. Kids have an answer sheet on a clipboard and have to walk around the room to find the questions, then record answers on the paper. Easy alternative to a worksheet.

For little things like our syllable routine, where the answer is yes/no (is this a closed syllable?) I stand at the front with flash cards. They stand facing me and I show a card. If the answer is yes, take a step forward, if itís no, take a step back. I tease them thru the game by controlling how far they move, and eventually let them step forward enough times to get as close to me as possible, which they find hilarious! Could easily be modified for whatever content you have.
KatieViolet is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Sounds like a Good Idea and Fun
Old 08-20-2018, 07:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

What about putting music on and allowing them to dance freely in a two foot square. Might be save just for Fridays and be called the TGIF Dance.

You could also have a "crazy" drill to do quickly when they need a real short break. The task would be to stand up and pull their chair out from their desk far enough to be able to run around it two or three times and then sit down ready to work again. It needs a fun name and I cannot think of one but maybe it could use the mascot's name.

Once in a while I allowed my students what I called a nature break. Which means we went outside for ten minutes. Sunshine and fresh air can do wonders. Again this was not something that happened on a regular basis but just when needed. I often used it on a day before a holiday because they were so anxious for the day to be over. Again it could use a fun name so that when you announce it they know exactly what is about to happen and that it only last ten minutes.

Have a great school year!

1956BD is offline   Reply With Quote

Sleddog

Moving
Old 08-20-2018, 04:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

--Draw or make two circular 'targets' and write YES inside one and NO inside the other. Ask students a question and they throw something at the target indicating their answer. I put the targets on my whiteboard and give them wadded up paper to throw. You could use any words on the inside of the target: agree/disagree, greater than/less than, true/false...

--Play 'baseball' in the classroom (without a ball). Divide the class into two teams, give each team 1 minute to come up with a name. Decide in your class where home base, 1st, 2nd and 3rd will be. I just tell the kids, I don't make any bases. One team is up and stands in a line at home plate. You are the pitcher. I like to do this will sight words. I ask the person who is up to spell a word. A correct spelling is a hit and the student walks to 1st base. An incorrect answer is an out. Three outs and teams change. The team that is in the 'outfield' is just standing out of the way. I hope this makes sense.

--Have kids sit on their desks for a change. I find kids tire easily due to having to hold up their torso (sad, but true). My kids love to sit on their desks while we do work.
Sleddog is offline   Reply With Quote

eliza4one

Old 08-20-2018, 05:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Thank you ALL for all of your suggestions! I can use each and every one of them and will need to for this group of boys. They just seem so disinterested and trust me...I'm a very exciting teacher!

Today here is what we did:

"Flying high in 2nd grade". They each had to write down 1-2 things they wanted to really "fly high" with in 2nd grade. (We discussed what this meant). They then got to make an airplane (learning curve...many had no clue and had never made one!). We then
flew them around for 2 min. We then sat in a circle and shared how we hoped to "fly high" in 2nd grade.

ALL of your ideas are going to come in so handy this year! I am culling through them now to see which one I want to use next!

I am so glad I posted here! Honestly, I didn't know if anyone would respond.

1956~I am a nature girl and I am really missing being outside like I was during the summer! We have a garden right outside our classroom door, so that may just be tomorrow's activity.

Again~thank you all for taking the time to post.
eliza4one is offline   Reply With Quote