What books should I definitely make available for independent reading? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

BusyBoard

What books should I definitely make available for independent reading?

>

PindleLou888

What books should I definitely make available for independent reading?
Old 08-18-2018, 12:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm in fourth grade and the students range in level from N to Q. I'm overwhelmed by the amount of books are to choose from

PindleLou888 is offline   Reply With Quote

rana712

Old 08-18-2018, 01:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

When I taught 4th grade, I leveled most of the books in my classroom (it was a huge undertaking!). I also sorted them by genre. Each book was labeled with level and genre using colored stickers (for example- All N books had a purple sticker, all R had a red sticker....). All books were put into bins based on level and genre and were placed in the library.

I conferenced with students and showed them the page in their reading journal that was titled Independent Reading. We dated the first line, and I asked them to color several boxes. I told them that these boxes corresponded to the boxes in our library- the boxes they could choose books from for independent reading. If they had colored a yellow, orange and purple box in their journal, they could read from the yellow, orange and purple boxes in the library. I would take a group to the library and show them the bins.

As the year progressed, they amended the page in their journals.
rana712 is online now   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

Fifth
Old 08-18-2018, 04:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I teach 5th. I don't level the books in my library. Some are leveled just because I inherited them, but I personally don't believe in leveling books and forcing kids to stick only with that level for two reasons. First, in the real world, if you go to the library or book store, it's not going to say that the book is a Q or a T or whatever it is. Sure, you can look it up and some paperbacks do have a grade level equivalent, but many do not. I think it's important to instead teach kids how to pick just right books. Second, if a kid is truly interested in a book and will be engaged with it, I wouldn't want to turn them way. Sometimes a book that's slightly easier or slightly harder than "their level" is something they really want to read. Why would I want to stop them from reading? Now, if they were consistently choosing too easy books or books that were too hard and didn't understand a thing, I would talk to them and encourage them to try something else.

My books are in bins that are labeled by categories. It's not necessarily genre, although I do have some that are like historical fiction, fantasy, etc. Others are categories like "39 Clues Series", "Beverly Clearly books", etc.

My students log what they read each day and do a reader's response each week. They also log the books they have finished and rank it. If I see students are frequently abandoning books, consistently choosing too easy or too hard books, I talk to them and try to encourage them to read something else.
Teacherbee_4 is offline   Reply With Quote

PindleLou888

I actually mean what are titles of books I sh
Old 08-18-2018, 04:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Should have, meaning good books that are generally favorites of kids

Linda/OH

Books
Old 08-18-2018, 04:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Anything by:
Judy Blume
Patricia Polacco
Chris Van Allsburg
I Survived series
Harry Potter
Diary of Wimpy Kid series
Little House books
Some nonfiction too!

Linda/OH is offline   Reply With Quote

SportingKC

Independent reading
Old 08-18-2018, 07:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

All of them.

Think about how adults pick books. Some love to read challenging books. Some love easy books. Some flip between the two. Most people have a preferred genre or two.

If you're letting kids pick their books (and teaching them how to choose books, i.e. reading the summary to check for interest, doing a quick 5 finger check, reading the first few pages) then they should get free reign on book choice.

I wouldn't willingly read a book during my free time that I hate. Why are we limiting kids to certain books during their free time?

Edited to add: if you're unsure of what books to purchase, ask your kids. They're your best resource!
SportingKC is offline   Reply With Quote

PindleLou888

I think I've been misunderstood.
Old 08-18-2018, 10:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I don't want to limit their choices to their reading level. Forget i said anything about reading level.

I want to know what titles/authors kids tend to love so I can have them available for them to read. Such as what Linda/Oh said.

teacherwriter

Ideas
Old 08-19-2018, 01:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

* The "I Survived" historical fiction series.
* The "Who Was" biography series.
* Novels by Andrew Clements and Dan Gutman. (Be sure to check readability for 4th grade; some of their books will work, some may not.)
* Lots of nonfiction--space, animals, sports...
* Mysteries.
* Almanac-type things. For example, National Geographic publishes stuff like "20 Great Dog Stories" and "100 Wacky Sports Facts" (I'm making those up!) that students love to read.

There are lots of individual novels that will work for 4th grade. For suggestions, browse around a bookstore or library or used book store. If you/your school does Scholastic book orders, read those fliers for ideas. You can also search online for book lists published by libraries around the country.

Finally, it wouldn't hurt to have a few books at levels typically below 4th grade--maybe not Magic Tree House, but the A to Z Mysteries might work, for example. There's a sports novel series for young readers that students really enjoy, and they're lower level. The author is Jake Maddox.
teacherwriter is offline   Reply With Quote

Lilbitkm

Old 08-19-2018, 05:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I teach 3rd but my kids also love the Fly Guy Non-Fiction Books (they are much higher level than than the regular Fly Guy Books) along with all of the ones listed :

Also, I like the Branches series through Scholastic. They are short chapter books, different series for lower readers.
Lilbitkm is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

I'll add...
Old 08-19-2018, 02:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I'll add the Junie B. Jones Books, Boxcar Children books, Baby-Sitters Club books, Baby-Sitters Little Sister books, American Girl books, Beverley Cleary books, and Roald Dahl books. Chocolate Fever is another good title that I think is maybe an O, P, or Q. Mr. Popper's Penguins is another good one!

Teacherbee_4 is offline   Reply With Quote

JulieP

Old 08-19-2018, 05:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Little House Books
Poetry Books galore
Percy Jackson
Gooney Bird Greene
Dogs Don't Tell Jokes
Joke Books
Guinness World Record Books
Harry Potter
Anything by Roald Dahl, Kate DiCamillo, Beverly Cleary, and Judy Bloom
JulieP is offline   Reply With Quote

Izzy23

Old 08-20-2018, 04:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

My kids love Scary Stories!

I also have Percy Jackson, Harry Potter, Gregor the Overlander for fantasy.

Lemony Snicket is also popular.

I always make sure I have the classics too, like Roald Dahl, CS Lewis, Little House, Judy Blume, and Beverly Cleary.

Lots of graphic novels, too, like Bone, Bad Kitty, Captain Underpants, etc. I don't particular like those books, but there is some higher-level vocab and puns in them, and the kids think the jokes are hysterical.
Izzy23 is offline   Reply With Quote

kidsrterrific

I totally get what you mean
Old 08-21-2018, 07:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Each year it seems like there are hundreds more books to choose from. I taught fourth grade for 20 years and just to reiterate a few posters, they loved mysteries at that age.

One thing that hasnít been mentioned yet is the nonfiction books the kids liked to pick up to read. Mine liked to pick up any Guinness Book of World Records as well as the Doring Kinderly (spelling?) science books even if they were just looking at the photos in these books. The boys especially loved any books about sports. No one has mentioned Harry Potter yet, although that never was a favorite of mine, the fourth graders really enjoyed this series.
kidsrterrific is offline   Reply With Quote