Help

BusyBoard

Homework

>

NCteacher

Homework
Old 08-16-2018, 08:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Just curious about homework. My school adopted a no homework policy 2 years ago. Kids do nightly reading and math fact practice, but thatís it. I teach 4tj grade. I am so happy about it and our test scores have increased a little each year we have had no written homework. Do you give homework? Grade it, or go over it in class?

NCteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Singvogel

What constitutes homework?
Old 08-17-2018, 03:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Do all grade levels do nightly reading and math facts practice? I would say that is homework because it's done independently at home.

We have a variety of expectations at our school. I think upper elementary students should start doing homework to build self-discipline, and research shows that benefits increase as students get older. For me, the key is that homework should always something students are able to do independently. Your reading and math facts practice sounds like that.

My students will often choose to work on their projects because they are enjoying them, or because they've procrastinated.:roll eyes:

I've taught sixth grade for many years, and I have modified the amount and type of homework over the years.
Singvogel is offline   Reply With Quote

MrsPhysics

Two perspectives
Old 08-17-2018, 05:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

As a teacher... I have taught mostly high school math. My perspective on assigning homework has changed a bit. For my at or above-grade level math classes I try to assign a minimal amount of homework problems. My lower-level students I usually make a deal with. I assign class work instead that becomes HW if they donít finish but really they should have enough time if they are working. I donít want them to practice too much without me there because some of them will do it all wrong or just not at all. They tend to not get as much out of the experience. I have tried flipping the classroom before too and assigning short videos of notes and a couple of examples to try as homework then the class work is working on problems. I really liked this, but unfortunately my current district does not have 1-to-1 technology.

As a parent, I think that my kids have always gotten far too much homework. This past year the one who was in 9th typically had around 3-4 hours a night, never less than 2. My middle-schooler had at least an hour but sometimes the projects would be hours on end working at home. Their elementary school teachers believed in lots of homework to prepare them for the higher grades. Once a math assignment was 60 state testing practice problems, and I cut my daughter off at 3 hours for that one assignment. For the first time ever, I wrote an email to the teacher saying I cut her off and the assignment was not done. Teacher replied that she had to get used to it and she was not given full credit.

Sorry for such a lengthy post!
MrsPhysics is offline   Reply With Quote

NCteacher

Old 08-17-2018, 05:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I taught middle school math for 9 years. I got tired of kids practicing concepts wrong and trying to fix it. That is when I decided I didnít like homework. When I taught 5th grade, all the other 5th grade teachers assigned a ton of homework, ďto prepare them for middle schoolĒ. It drove me crazy- the kids werenít in middle school yet and I feel strongly that you should teach/assign homework for the grade the kids are actually in, not the grade they will be in next year.

Teacherbee_4

Me...
Old 08-17-2018, 07:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I pretty much only "assign" what is not finished in class. Rarely do I assign something with no work time, although I will say it happened more this past year than ever before, and that was mainly because the class talked way too much and misbehaved so much, it took longer to go through lessons.

They have a few word work/spelling tasks due on Friday, but it's assigned on Monday and they have our whole reading workshop time to work on it, too. That's usually not homework for kids, unless they chose for it to be. I check to see if it's done and look for it to be "pretty accurate", it doesn't have to be perfect and give them a few points. They get all the points if everything is completed and all or most things are correct. The more errors that stand out, the more points they lose, but they can still get a perfect score with a few errors.

I do give a math worksheet most days. I think it's good practice/reinforcement. It's due the next day, but like said, they do usually have some work time. We correct it in class the next day and I take their questions, but that's it. Occasionally, I might grade a review side of the worksheet for a grade in the grade book, but only after I know for sure they have had ample time to master the skill. This helps so their grade isn't just tests and quizzes. I don't even give any completion points for the ones we correct in class because with it being assigned each day, I don't feel I'd have the time to really look through it all. Too much paperwork for me! However, I do walk around to make sure it's done, and if it's not it's a late assignment and I still expect them to do it. They have a slip their parents need to sign that shows it's late and they owe me a recess.

Other than that, when things come up in science, social studies, writing, religion, etc. I usually give them an extra day or two to be flexible with students's after school activities. Although I still think school should come first and be their top priority, I've had to bend a little.

I should add that I teach 5th grade. I tell my students to expect 50-60 minutes of homework a night, but honestly, that's a rarity. It's probably more like 20-30.

Teacherbee_4 is offline   Reply With Quote

NCteacher

Old 08-17-2018, 08:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I also teach in a school that does not use standard grading practices. We use standards based grading, so the only things we grade are assessments.

Teacher_twins

High School Math
Old 08-17-2018, 06:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

My homework consists of 5 problems that students complete on our online LMS. Each assignment can be re-done three times and I keep their highest score. Their homework is due at the start of the school-day (7:55am). It should never take them more than 20 minutes to do each attempt.

All of the students in my school are issued laptop computers that they can take home, and they all have ample access to free WiFi before and after school.

This is an easy way for me to see which concepts students are struggling with.
Teacher_twins is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 08-17-2018, 07:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Last school year we got a new P and discussed getting rid of homework all together. My school/district is OBSESSED with the John Hattie effect size research, and apparently according to that homework has no effect on achievement. New P decided that we needed to send out a parent survey before just completing getting rid of homework.

85% of parents who responded said they wanted homework . Somehow that morphed into what seems like tons of homework to me. It's 20 minutes of reading every night plus 10 minutes of work added on for each increased grade level (i.e. 10 minutes kinder, 20 minutes first grade, 30 minutes 2nd, etc.)

I teach primary and it's hard to establish "rules" about homework. At very young ages, IMO it's not really the child's fault if the homework is not done. The parent has to be responsible, and are we going to punish kids for their parents' actions? On the other hand, some parents end up doing the homework for them.

My school got a grant to run after school tutoring and clubs this year. Some students will literally be at school from 8:30 AM to 6 PM. I sincerely hope there is going to be some sort of rule that these students don't also have to do homework on top of that.

I personally am in favor of getting rid of it, at least in primary, and providing a list of websites parents can use if they're wanting extra practice for their child.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

NCteacher

Haley
Old 08-18-2018, 03:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Yikes!!! That seems like an awful lot for primary students. I have found in the two years without written homework, that the very few parents who request homework want to make sure their children are ďbusyĒ, not for any academic practice. In two years, Iíve had maybe 4 requests for homework. Most of our parents are elated, because for kids involved in after school activities, it helps take the pressure off of trying to get homework completed. Kids have a reading log, but we donít check it. We collect it and file it in the childís data notebook. We have a point system, where kids can earn prizes for reading.

Becca4

Homework
Old 08-21-2018, 11:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Our students are suppose to read 20 min. a night and practice on math facts. They might have an occasional project to do in S.S. or Science but are given ample time to work on them. If students don't complete their classwork, they may be asked to finish it for homework.

Becca4 is offline   Reply With Quote