Help

BusyBoard

Any Art Teachers Out There in PT Land??

>

GdHrtdTchr

Any Art Teachers Out There in PT Land??
Old 08-22-2018, 08:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am being switched to art. Everyone thought I was a good tech teacher, but we now need to have art and I was happy for the first time in years at this school, so wanted to stay there. I have taught "after school art" and enjoy fostering creativity in kids by reusing materials et al, but this will be different. My principal doesn't want "arts and craps." She wants the kids to learn about "real" art and artists. I really want to make it work. I spent a bunch on TPT in June/July and then another $100 yesterday when I saw they had a sale. I am signed up for a 5 hour PD for art teachers at our city art museum on Tues (exactly one week before the 1st day of school.) I hope to connect with some "real" art teachers at that PD. I will probably find out this week if I will have a classroom (hopefully) vs. be an "art on a cart" teacher.

I went to the "art group" here on PT, but it seems pretty stagnant. There are very few recent posts and many of the threads had 0, 1 or 2 replies.

Is anyone out there an art teacher who could "mentor" me. When I taught tech, I found a great TPT seller who also had a fb group. Perhaps I can find the same to help me teach art? (I have considered teaching art and music with computers and will do so to the extent that my principal will allow.)

Thanks to anyone who can help.

GdHrtdTchr is offline   Reply With Quote

KeyKid

Art
Old 08-22-2018, 08:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I don't/didn't teach art but HERE are some resources. Some of the blogs haven't been updated in years, but there are years worth of ideas on them.
KeyKid is offline   Reply With Quote

iteachk2010

Old 08-22-2018, 12:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

What grade levels will you work with? I am not an art teacher, but here are some ideas.
  • Maybe you can incorporate some STEAM projects into your program.
  • For some technology, you could have students use Google Sheets to do pixel art. i.e. create a design, a character (like in mine craft) or scene or they could use Google Draw. You can discuss careers like graphic artists and graphic designers. Maybe even involve some coding using the little robots to create a design. You can discuss careers like graphic artists and graphic designers. Perhaps you can have each student research a different artist and have them create a Google Slide to share with the class. Use that to introduce your lesson.
  • You might want to talk with grade level teachers to design projects that go along with curriculum they are working on at the time. i.e. When we are working on geometry in math, we learn a little about the artist Wassily Kandinsky and his works. Then I have my students do an art project with concentric circles.
  • Research local artists to find out if any are available to come in as guest speakers or to share their craft.

Here is a link for art history and artists. https://www.ducksters.com/biography/..._kandinsky.php

I have an art center in my classroom. It is open during free-choice center time. I have a variety of materials for students to explore and create. They love getting messy! In addition to the art center, my K students have art once a week for 30 minutes with the art teacher. Since they only meet once a week for a short period of time, it can take a month to complete a project.

At the end of the school year, the art work is displayed in the hallway. (We have metal strips with cork at adult eye level to hang work.) She uses the hall bulletin boards and display cases, too. Parents are invited in one evening to browse the art exhibits.
iteachk2010 is offline   Reply With Quote

GdHrtdTchr

Old 08-25-2018, 01:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Thank you, KeyKid and ITeach! I found BOTH of your posts extremely helpful. I began to explore the flood of links/resources you shared, KeyKid and appreciate the ideas and link from you as well, ITeach.

I spoke (briefly) with my admin yesterday. It appears I WILL have an opportunity to teach computers as well -- not just art. That's a relief. Now my #1 prayer request is that they can find a CLASSROOM for me to teach art vs "push in" (aka "art on a cart.")

Thank you for your support. I am VERY grateful.
GdHrtdTchr is offline   Reply With Quote